Explosive Performance: Speed & Power
Sat, Nov, 27 2021 - Sun, Nov, 28 2021
Snohomish Aquatic Center
516 Maple Ave, Snohomish, WA 98290
We’re bringing our Speed and Power Camp to Snohomish, WA! This 2-day swim camp will help swimmers discover new ways to add strength and explosive energy to their races. Sign up for individual sessions or SAVE when you purchase a 2-day bundle.
Saturday, November 27: Developing Power in Your Swims
Sunday, November 28: Improving Your Speed
Session sizes are limited to no more than 24 participants to ensure the highest level learning experience! Scroll down to read more about the curriculum!
13 & Over:
Saturday: Check in 1:30 PM, Clinic 1:45-4:45 PM
Sunday: Check in 12:30 PM, Clinic 12:45-3:45 PM
12 & Under:
Saturday: Check in 9:45 AM, Clinic 10-12:30 PM
Sunday: Check in 9 AM, Clinic 9:15-11:45 PM
These camps are designed for swimmers with a minimum of one-year of competitive swimming experience all the way up to AAAA times and faster. Swimmers younger than 9 years old are not invited without submitting their times or swimming history to Fitter and Faster.
While strength training helps swimmers get stronger, working on power exercises in the water helps to strengthen swimming specific movements. Developing power will help participants be more efficient and stronger in the water!
- IMPROVING POWER IN STROKE TECHNIQUE: Swimmers are taught drag is bad! However, ADDING resistance as a training tool causes swimmers to alter their technique and highlight any deficiencies. Removing that resistance then allows swimmers to feel those differences in technique and build power in their stroke technique. Giles Smith will take the swimmers through some resistance training techniques during this camp!
- RESISTANCE TRAINING: Resistance not only helps expose places to strengthen technique but also is a huge way to build power. Hand paddles, rubber tubing with a belt, even swimming with a T-shirt and shoes in the water can help add resistance and develop power!
- DYNAMIC WARM UP: Get ready for every practice and competition with a short dynamic warm up routine! Giles Smith will take participants through a combination of light cardio exercises and dynamic stretches. This is an excellent way to get the blood flowing to the muscles and loosen joints to prepare for training and racing. Being properly warmed up will also help prevent injuries.
Swimmers can significantly change their race strategy by adjusting just two aspects of their stroke - distance per stroke and tempo. Giles Smith will coach swimmers to help their tempo and speed in the water. He will also review dryland exercises designed specifically for developing strength and power in swimmers and techniques for recovery from dryland and swimming workouts.
- DISTANCE PER STROKE: One way to increase efficiency is to take fewer strokes. Counting the number of strokes and improving technique to decrease that number will save energy. On the other side, it may be faster to take more strokes per length, especially in shorter events.
- TEMPO: A swimmers tempo is how fast or slow they complete each stroke. Changing tempo based on event distance and fatigue level will help swimmers swim as fast as possible.
- DRYLAND FOR SWIMMING: Dryland training is designed to build strength, increase flexibility and become a more well-rounded and agile athlete. Swimmers will learn age-appropriate, simple bodyweight exercises that will strengthen their core and major muscle groups to complement the training done in the pool.
- MAINTAINING TECHNIQUE THROUGH FATIGUE: When swimmers get tired, it’s an easy choice to revert to sloppy technique in order to make the interval and finish the set. Choosing to focus on technique through fatigue is a difficult decision, but more beneficial in the long run. Participants will learn from Giles Smith how to handle fatigue in practice and races.
- RECOVERY: While training is important for swimming faster and gaining strength, recovery is just as essential to continue training at a high level. While you can buy expensive products to help you recover, Giles Smith will walk through some of the most important things to get your body ready for the next session.
At each session of this series, swimmers and parents are invited to ask the Elite Clinicians questions during a Q&A session. Gain insight into their training regimen, diet and nutrition, and recovery tactics.
WATCH THE CLINICIANS
Observe the clinicians at each session swim at full speed and demonstrate a progression of perfectly executed drills to achieve powerful, efficient and fast swimming.
PUT YOUR SKILLS TO THE TEST
Swimmers will get to practice what they've learned by taking their stroke to top speed with some of the best swimmers and coaches in the world! They'll work on holding onto their form while challenging themselves.
Take a photo with the clinicians, get autographs, and ALL PARTICIPANTS receive a FREE Fitter and Faster Swim Cap!