Past Clinic: Comprehensive Butterfly Racing Camp
Sat, Jan, 08 2022 - Sun, Jan, 09 2022
Snohomish Aquatic Center
516 Maple Ave, Snohomish, WA 98290
A description of what was covered at this past clinic is below the upcoming clinics.
Upcoming Swim Clinics and Camps
Within 250 miles of Snohomish, WA.
Fitter and Faster’s next swim camp in Snohomish, WA is in January 2022. SAVE when you purchase a 2-day camp “Bundle” based on your swimmer’s age group!
Comprehensive Butterfly Technique & Racing – January 8 & 9
-> DAY 1: High Performance Butterfly Technique
-> DAY 2: Butterfly Racing & Training Skills
Scroll down for more details on the curriculum. Session sizes are limited to only 24 participants to allow for the best learning experience.
12 & Under:
Jan 8: Check in 9:45 AM, Clinic 10-12:30 PM
Jan 9: Check in 9 AM, Clinic 9:15-11:45 AM
13 & Over:
Jan 8: Check in 1:30 PM, Clinic 1:45-4:45 PM
Jan 9: Check in 12:30 PM, Clinic 12:45-3:45 PM
These camps are designed for swimmers with a minimum of one-year of competitive swimming experience all the way up to AAAA times and faster. Swimmers younger than 9 years old are not invited without submitting their times or swimming history to Fitter and Faster.
At the highest level of swimming, butterfly is the second fastest stroke and beautiful to watch because of its rhythmic and powerful strokes. There are some complexities to establishing a smooth, rhythmic fly, but with practice and attention to detail your swimmer can master the stroke and begin swimming it for longer distances and at very fast speeds! No matter your swimmer’s level, this 2-day camp will strengthen their butterfly technique, racing and training skills that will lead to faster and more efficient butterfly races!
DAY 1: HIGH PERFORMANCE BUTTERFLY TECHNIQUE (Jan 8)
We want your swimmer to establish a rhythmic butterfly. Today we will practice various drills and skills that will enable your swimmer to have flowing hips and a long, more powerful butterfly stroke.
- BODYLINE: A butterfly race is going to be fastest with a proper bodyline. Even the slightest adjustment of the chin, neck, and/or back can make a huge difference. As swimmers mature in the sport and grow physically, their body position shifts and bad habits can emerge. Participants will learn and practice proper posture and engagement of their core to have a strong foundation for better technique - creating a full-body connection for more hydrodynamic and efficient butterfly strokes.
- KICK: Each butterfly stroke has two kicks to propel the swimmer towards the other end of the pool! If the kicks are properly timed and equally strong, they can positively impact your swimmer’s efficiency and stroke timing! Your swimmer will work on how and when to kick in butterfly for maximum speed.
- PULL: Long and smooth strokes allow swimmers to have a more efficient and fluid butterfly. The pull in butterfly keeps a swimmer accelerating forward. Your clinicians will work with participants to establish an early vertical forearm, “the catch”, enabling the swimmers to put immediate pressure back on the water. Properly completing the stroke keeps the swimmer moving forward efficiently and fast.
- BREATH: The timing of the breath in butterfly has a direct relationship on a swimmer’s body position, pull, kick and TIMES! At this camp, we will work with participants on breathing with their chin low to the water... and WHEN to breathe in their stroke cycle so that they develop the most efficient stroke possible!
Day 2: BUTTERFLY RACING AND TRAINING SKILLS (Jan 9)
On the first day of this camp swimmers worked on techniques to implement an efficient butterfly stroke. On Day 2 we will work on applying speed to their butterfly! Our objective is to get your swimmer to maintain their technique with distance per stroke, tempo, and flowing speed.
- LENGTH OF STROKE: Lengthening your swimmer’s butterfly stroke will enable them to “catch” and hold onto more water to propel them as they swim. In butterfly, it is particularly important to establish a “rhythmic flow”. We will teach participants how to stay long and avoid a short butterfly stroke that is inefficient and not sustainable for very long. The clinicians will work with participants on this important skill for swimming fast butterfly.
- TEMPO: Tempo in butterfly is the rate at which a swimmer is moving their arms and hips. When swimming butterfly races many athletes tend to take too many short strokes (“spin their wheels”) and not “hold onto the water”. At this camp we will explore different tempos that are sustainable for any distance your swimmer is racing.
- POWERFUL UNDERWATER DOLPHIN KICKING: There are a few different techniques that swimmers use when underwater dolphin kicking. The common theme of these techniques is that the best swimmers kick up and down with equal power. We will show your swimmer the different techniques that elite swimmers use and teach them how to implement.
- SPEED SET: At the end of this session your swimmer will do a short and fast swim set to practice everything they have learned over the past two days.
At each session of this series, swimmers and parents are invited to ask the Elite Clinicians questions during a Q&A session. Gain insight into their training regimen, diet and nutrition, and recovery tactics.
WATCH THE CLINICIANS
Observe the clinicians at each session swim at full speed and demonstrate a progression of perfectly executed drills to achieve powerful, efficient and fast swimming.
PUT YOUR SKILLS TO THE TEST
Swimmers will get to practice what they've learned by taking their stroke to top speed with some of the best swimmers and coaches in the world! They'll work on holding onto their form while challenging themselves.
Take a photo with the clinicians, get autographs, and ALL PARTICIPANTS receive a FREE Fitter and Faster Swim Cap!