Explosive Performance- Starts & Turns Swim & Dryland Camp
Tue, Dec, 28 2021 - Wed, Dec, 29 2021
Lionville Community YMCA
100 Devon Dr., Exton, PA 19341
One of the world’s best swimmer-specific Strength Coaches (and 2x Olympic Trials Qualifier), Atiba Wade, is coming to Exton, PA! Though every race only has one start, the momentum swimmers get off the block and into their first stroke is unmatched throughout the entire remainder of the race. Don’t miss the chance to improve your starts & turns!
Sign up for individual sessions or SAVE when you purchase a 2 day Bundle!
December 28: Starts & Underwaters, w/ Mobilization & Explosive Dryland Training
December 29: Turns & Finishes w/ Mobilization, Core & Swimmer Focused Yoga
*Please bring appropriate attire for dryland training (sneakers, shorts/pants, t-shirt, etc.) in addition to your pool attire!
Session Times (All Days):
12 & Under: Check in 12 PM, Clinic 12:15 PM- 2:45 PM
13 & Over: Check in 3:30 PM, Clinic 3:45 PM- 6:45 PM
Scroll down to read more about the curriculum!
These camps are designed for swimmers with a minimum of one-year of competitive swimming experience all the way up to AAAA times and faster. Swimmers younger than 9 years old are not invited without submitting their times or swimming history to Fitter and Faster.
DAY 1 (Tuesday): Starts, Underwaters, Breakouts w/ Mobilization & Explosive Dryland Training
The start sets up a swimmers race. The more power off the block- the better! There are countless intricacies to performing an explosive start, followed by a dominating underwater. Strength coach Atiba Wade will work with swimmers in and out of the water to develop the skills needed to power off of the blocks and carry their speed through the breakout!
- STARTS: Atiba Wade will work with swimmers to find the best position on the block, as well as how to launch off with power into a tight streamline. Swimmers will also discover their optimal reaction time to get off the blocks fast and ahead of their competition.
- UNDERWATER DOLPHIN KICKING: The fastest swimmers know how to weaponize their underwater. It's one of the most crucial components to maintaining speed off the walls! Understanding the importance of streamlined underwater speed is vital for every level of swimmer.
- BREAKOUTS: Many swimmers add movement within their breakout that creates drag and destroys all of the power created during their underwaters. Participants will work on timing their breakouts to explode into the first stroke and accelerate onward.
- MOBILIZATION & EXPLOSIVE DRYLAND (45-60 MINS): Swimmers at this session will focus on joint mobility to help safely sustain & optimize kick & pull athletically focused, work on swimmer specific strength & conditioning exercises to promote core strength/stability and coordination. They will also work with Atiba on explosive strength training, specifically for starts and underwater kicks!
DAY 2 (Wednesday): TURNS & FINISHES & DRYLAND
Focusing on having faster turns is an easy way to drop time and win close races. Elite swimmers maintain their momentum through a quick turn and powerful push off every wall. Coach Atiba Wade will lead participants through a series of drills to build compact, fast turns in any race.
- FLIP TURNS: Swimmers will identify and work on what techniques carry their momentum through the turn to get in and out of every wall faster. Participants will also practice accelerating into the wall, using their core and arms to get through the turn, and planting their feet on the wall for a powerful push off in the perfect streamline.
- OPEN TURNS: Swimmers will learn details of an expertly executed open turn, which involves carrying momentum from one lap into the next. Swimmers will work with our clinicians to nail an efficient and quick open turn, and learn where to clean up any unnecessary drag.
- FINISHES: Races can be won or lost by hundredths of a second, and many races come down to the last few strokes. Swimmers will reinforce their kick to accelerate into the wall, time their stroke for a perfect arm extension, and keep their head down to out touch the competition.
- MOBILIZATION, CORE & YOGA DRYLAND (45-60 MINS): Swimmers on day 2 will work with elite strength coach Atiba Wade on joint mobility to help safely sustain & optimize kick & pull as well as core focused strength & endurance to help promote optimal body position in the water! Swimmers will also be led through restorative swimmer specific yoga to help both mind & body recovery.
Swimmers and parents are invited to ask their clinicians questions during a Q&A session. Gain insight into their training regimen, diet and nutrition, and recovery tactics.
WATCH THE CLINICIANS
Observe your clinicians swim at full speed and demonstrate a progression of perfectly executed drills to achieve powerful, efficient and fast swimming.
PUT YOUR SKILLS TO THE TEST
Swimmers will get to practice what they've learned by taking their stroke to your top speed with some of the best swimmers and coaches in the world! They'll work on holding onto their form while challenging themselves.
Take a photo with the clinicians, get autographs, and ALL PARTICIPANTS receive a FREE Fitter and Faster Swim Cap!