Explosive Performance & Comprehensive Freestyle Swim Camp Series
Sat, Oct, 23 2021 - Sun, Jan, 23 2022
Albuquerque Academy Natatorium
6501 Wyoming Blvd NE STE D, Albuquerque, NM 87109
Explosive Performance & Comprehensive Freestyle Swim Camp Series –Sign up for one session or SAVE when you sign up for the special 2-day bundle!
This two-camp series is designed for competitive swimmers to refine their turns as well as enhance their racing performance in freestyle. Participants continue the ongoing process of perfecting technique to efficiently move through the water with power. Additionally, swimmers will learn skillsets for explosive starts and turns to generate and carry momentum throughout the race.
October 23-24: Comprehensive Freestyle Racing Camp
January 22-23, 2022: Explosive Performance: Starts & Turns Camp
Session sizes are limited to ensure the highest level learning experience!
Each camp will be led by Elite Clinicians who swam at the highest level and are exceptional teachers with talent for explaining and demonstrating the technique required for fast racing!
Scroll down for more details on the curriculum!
Session Times (Both Days):
11 & under: Check in 8:45 AM, Clinic 9 AM-11:30 AM
12 & Over: Check in 12:15 PM, Clinic 12:30 PM- 3:30 PM
The clinicians will lead two sessions for each age group at both camps. This camp series is designed for swimmers with a minimum of one-year of competitive swimming experience all the way up to AAAA times and faster. Swimmers younger than 9 years old are not invited without submitting their times or swimming history to Fitter and Faster.
Swimmers will take their training and racing to the next level at this comprehensive freestyle racing camp! Each age group will have two sessions: on Saturday, participants will focus on the mechanics of a smooth and powerful freestyle to become faster and more efficient swimmers. Then on Sunday, participants will work on developing speed, focusing on distance per stroke vs tempo, pacing, and a freestyle training set. This camp will be led by 5x National Team Member Sierra Schmidt!
OCTOBER 23: HIGH PERFORMANCE FREESTYLE TECHNIQUE
As you know, freestyle is the stroke swam more than any other in races and practices. Creating and cultivating good habits will not only make swimmers faster but will also reduce the risk for injuries in the long term. Sierra will be in the water leading participants through a progression of freestyle drills. These will allow them to deepen their understanding of each part of the stroke and help create good habits for fast and efficient freestyle technique.
- BODYLINE: A swimmer's freestyle will never be fast without a strong bodyline. Swimmers will reinforce good posture and engage their core to have a strong foundation for a faster freestyle.
- ROTATION: Participants will learn to utilize their rotation to form more connection and power out of every pull and kick.
- KICK: Participants will become a stronger and faster kicker through learning about both the technique and timing of each kick.
- PULL: The best swimmers in the world utilize an early vertical forearm to put immediate pressure back on the water. Sierra will also teach swimmers how to get maximum extension and a powerful finish to the stroke! Learn new drills and exercises to get more power from every stroke.
- BREATH: All swimmers know to keep one goggle in and one goggle out of the water when they take a breath, but the length and timing are also important! The clinicians will show each swimmer how to make each breath more efficient for faster freestyle racing no matter what distance.
OCTOBER 24: FREESTYLE APPLIED SPEED
The technique for swimming a fast freestyle race changes depending on the distance. Learning how to prioritize tempo vs. length and speed vs. efficiency can make a big difference in maximizing speed in shorter races or increasing endurance in longer races. The session will also include a training set designed to challenge swimmers and complement the technical foundation developed on day one.
- DISTANCE PER STROKE: One way to increase efficiency is to take fewer strokes. Counting the number of strokes and improving technique to decrease that number will save energy. On the other side, it may be faster to take more strokes per length, especially in shorter events.
- TEMPO: A swimmer’s tempo is how fast or slow they complete each stroke. Having a slower tempo allows swimmers to conserve energy by taking fewer strokes, while a faster tempo is more tiring but much faster. Changing tempo based on event distance and fatigue level will help participants swim as fast as possible.
- PACING: When racing, many swimmers will prioritize tempo over distance per stroke, which causes them to take a higher number of shorter strokes on each length. This is a very inefficient way to swim and can cause a swimmer to race much slower and fatigue quicker. At this session, Sierra will help participants refine their stroke count and tempo so that they can utilize their strengths to race faster in any distance!
- TRAINING FREESTYLE: Also included in this session is an elite workout designed by Sierra Schmidt. This workout is specifically designed to challenge swimmers’ freestyle and help identify strengths and weaknesses in their training, which will ultimately transfer into becoming a better racer!
The fastest point in every race that carries the most momentum is during the start and turn! On Saturday, the curriculum will focus on explosive starts, powerful and propelling underwater dolphin kicking, and streamlined breakouts. Then on Sunday, participants will work on accelerating through every flip turn, open turn, and a robust finish.
JANUARY 22: STARTS & UNDERWATERS
The start sets up a swimmers race. The more power off the block- the better! There are countless intricacies to performing an explosive start, followed by a dominating underwater. Our clinicians have spent numerous hours practicing details of starts and underwater dolphin kicking and will work with swimmers on how to be explosive and efficient with each movement.
- STARTS: Our clinician will work with swimmers to find the best position on the block, as well as how to launch off with power into a tight streamline. Swimmers will also discover their optimal reaction time to get off the blocks fast and ahead of their competition.
- UNDERWATER DOLPHIN KICKING: The fastest swimmers know how to weaponize their underwater. It's one of the most crucial components to maintaining speed off the walls! Understanding the importance of streamlined underwater speed is vital for every level of swimmer.
- BREAKOUTS: Many swimmers add movement within their breakout that creates drag and destroys all of the power created during their underwaters. Participants will work on timing their breakouts to explode into the first stroke and accelerate onward.
JANUARY 23: TURNS & FINISHES
Focusing on having faster turns is an easy way to drop time and win close races. Elite swimmers maintain their momentum through a quick turn and powerful push off every wall. Our clinicians will lead participants through a series of drills to build compact, fast turns in any race.
- FLIP TURNS: Swimmers will identify and work on what techniques carry their momentum through the turn to get in and out of every wall faster. Participants will also practice accelerating into the wall, using their core and arms to get through the turn, and planting their feet on the wall for a powerful push off in the perfect streamline.
- OPEN TURNS: Swimmers will learn details of an expertly executed open turn, which involves carrying momentum from one lap into the next. Swimmers will work with our clinicians to nail an efficient and quick open turn, and learn where to clean up any unnecessary drag.
- FINISHES: Races can be won or lost by hundredths of a second, and many races come down to the last few strokes. Swimmers will reinforce their kick to accelerate into the wall, time their stroke for a perfect arm extension, and keep their head down to out touch the competition.
At each session of this series, swimmers and parents are invited to ask the Elite Clinicians questions during a Q&A session. Gain insight into their training regimen, diet and nutrition, and recovery tactics.
WATCH THE CLINICIANS
Observe the clinicians at each session swim at full speed and demonstrate a progression of perfectly executed drills to achieve powerful, efficient and fast swimming.
PUT YOUR SKILLS TO THE TEST
Swimmers will get to practice what they've learned by taking their stroke to top speed with some of the best swimmers and coaches in the world! They'll work on holding onto their form while challenging themselves.
Take a photo with your clinicians, get autographs, and ALL PARTICIPANTS receive a FREE Fitter and Faster swim cap for the camp!