Past Clinic: Elite 3 Day Camp
Wed, Jan, 02 2019 - Fri, Jan, 04 2019
Grandview High School Pool
20500 East Arapahoe Road, Aurora, CO 80016
A description of what was covered at this past clinic is below the upcoming clinics.
Upcoming Swim Clinics and Camps
Within 250 miles of Aurora, CO.
Colorado Athletic Club Inverness (Outdoor)Info
Hutchinson Middle SchoolInfo
Three Day Swim Camp!
This is an elite level camp, limited to 24 swimmers in each group, to be held over 3 days. The first day will focus on fast starts and turns. Then, Thursday will cover free and back. On Friday the emphasis will focus on the common technique for swimming a fast breaststroke, butterfly and underwater dolphin kicking.
There will be TWO elite clinicians leading each session. Todd Schmitz, the Olympic coach and age group coach to Missy Franklin will be leading the instruction alongside two-time Olympian Chloe Sutton! Sutton will be in and out of the water assisting and demonstrating to participants the high performance technique being taught each day.
This three-day swim camp is for competitive swimmers ages 11 and over. Each day will focus on high performance technique for swimmers with a minimum of USA Swimming “BB” Motivational Time Standards in their age group.
Take advantage of early bird pricing – Sign up before prices rise or the sessions fill up! Each session, the swimmers will be divided into 2 groups of a maximum of 24 swimmers in each group
SESSION 1: STARTS OFF THE BLOCKS, FLIP TURNS, OPEN TURNS
Did you know that the fastest a swimmer is ever moving in a race is during the start and every turn? Races are often won and lost because of the quality of the starts and turns of the competitors. Even elite level, swimmers often add in extra movements on their starts and turns that slow them down and even cause them to lose races that they could have won. At these sessions, Chloe Sutton and Todd Schmitz will work with each participant to create and maintain their momentum at these key points in a race.
- STARTS OFF THE BLOCKS: How you set up on the block including proper hand and foot placement can allow your swimmer to launch forward with a lot of explosive power. Chloe and Todd will work with each swimmer to find their best position on the block as well as how to launch their body forward into a tight streamline and enter through a small hole.
- FLIP TURNS: Your swimmer will learn how to carry their momentum through the turn to get in and out of every wall faster. Swimmers will practice accelerating into the wall with long strokes and then using their core and arms to get through the turn. They'll practice planting their feet on the wall for a powerful pushoff in the perfect streamline. Chloe and Todd will give the swimmers drills and exercises to help them master this athletic skill now as well as in the future!
- OPEN TURNS: Think about the open turn differently! You should not be making an open to turn around and swim the next lap. If you're doing this - you're actually stopping and then trying to regain speed again. An expertly executed open turn involves spinning backwards. This enables you to carry momentum into the pushoff. We're going to teach you how to cut a lot of time on this turn... helping you in all of your breaststroke and butterfly races!
SESSION 2: FREESTYLE & BACKSTROKE
Freestyle and backstroke can be challenging for swimmers of all ages and abilities to take to the next level because of the complexity of the technique in both of these strokes! Your swimmer will learn drills and skills to be able to understand and apply techniques to race faster in both free and back as well as how to accelerate through every flip turn with Olympian Chloe Sutton and Olympic coach Todd Schmitz!
- FREESTYLE: Participants will learn how to hold a straight and solid body line so that they can cut through the water with less drag. Practice keeping a still and low head position (especially during the breath!) while driving a strong flutter kick. Chloe and Todd will also teach participants how to get an early and powerful press backwards on the water in the arm pull to get more out of every stroke. From the 50 to the mile, your swimmer will learn skills that will allow them to drop time in every freestyle race.
- BACKSTROKE: Engaging your core not only allows you to swim stronger, but it also allows you to hold the proper body position. Chloe and Todd will help swimmers learn the importance of rotation and how to use it to their advantage for more power in each stroke. The arm pull in backstroke should press the water all the way through using the whole arm to achieve maximum propulsion. Backstrokers are often the fastest kickers on their teams, find out why and learn to have a stronger kick!
SESSION 3: BREASTSTROKE, BUTTERFLY, & UNDERWATER DOLPHIN KICKING
The short axis strokes are butterfly and breaststroke! These are very similar and challenging strokes to master due to the importance of rhythm! Participants at this session will learn not only how to have a stronger pull and kick, but also WHEN each movement should happen so that they can swim more connected and with more efficiency! Participants will also learn how to improve their underwater dolphin kicking with Chloe and Todd!
- BUTTERFLY: Perfect the complexities of balancing power and fluid rhythm in one of the most dynamic athletic movements. Elite butterfliers maintain forward momentum by setting an immediate high catch with a perfectly timed kick. They are committed to a breathing pattern, perfecting their distance per stroke, and maintaining a horizontal body position - Chloe and Todd will help your swimmer become committed to these same skills to make them their habits every time they swim fly!
- BREASTSTROKE: Your swimmer will begin with a strong understanding of the timing of the kick and pull and begin to utilize the same strategies world class breaststrokers use to minimize their footprint in the water. Participants will learn the skills of swimming in a horizontal plane, keeping the hips high throughout the entire cycle and utilizing a small but powerful kick while generating power forward with their recovery.
- UNDERWATER DOLPHIN KICKING: The not-so-secret weapon of elite level swimmers is their underwater dolphin kick. Chloe Sutton is known as a great underwater dolphin kicker and she specializes in teaching swimmers how to unlock their potential in this important skill.
Swimmers and parents are invited to ask Chloe and Todd questions during a Q&A session. Gain insight into their training regimen, diet and nutrition, and recovery tactics.
WATCH THE CLINICIAN
Observe Chloe swim at full speed and demonstrate a progression of perfectly executed drills to achieve powerful, efficient and fast swimming.
PUT YOUR SKILLS TO THE TEST
Swimmers will get to practice what they've learned by taking their stroke to top speed with two of the best swimmers in the world! They'll work on holding onto their form while challenging themselves.
Take a photo with Chloe and Todd while wearing Chloe's medals, get autographs, and a gift from TYR Sport!