Comprehensive Turns Camp
Sat, Jul, 10 2021 - Sun, Jul, 11 2021
New Tampa Family YMCA (Outdoor)
16221 Compton Dr, Tampa, FL 33647
JULY 10-11, 2021
2021 Comprehensive Turns Camp – Did you know that the fastest that your swimmer is ever moving through the water (other than the start) is during every turn? On Saturday, the curriculum will focus on explosive flip turns, powerful underwater dolphin kicking, and powerful breakouts. Then on Sunday, participants will work on accelerating through every open turn into a well-timed finish.
Your Elite Clinician for this camp will be Olympic gold medalist Tyler Clary! Tyler is one of the most experienced and highly reviewed clinicians with Fitter and Faster. Scroll down for more details on the curriculum.
Session Times (Both Days):
11 & Under: Check in 10:00 AM, Clinic 10:15 AM-12:45 PM
12 & Over: Check in 1:15 PM, Clinic 1:30 PM-4:30 PM
The clinicians will lead two sessions for each age group. This series is recommended for swimmers with at least one year of competitive swimming experience. Swimmers younger than 9 years old are not recommended without their coach’s approval.
DAY 1 (SATURDAY): JULY 10: FLIP TURNS & UNDERWATERS
Focusing on having faster turns is an easy way to drop time and win close races. Elite swimmers maintain their momentum through a quick turn and have a powerful push off every wall. Olympic gold medalist Tyler Clary has spent countless hours practicing flip turns and underwater dolphin kicking and will show your swimmer how to be explosive and efficient with each movement.
- FLIP TURNS: Your swimmer will learn to carry their momentum through the turn to get in and out of every wall faster. Swimmers will practice accelerating into the wall, using their core and arms to get through the turn, and planting the feet on the wall for a powerful push off in the perfect streamline. Participants will learn drills and exercises to help them master this athletic skill!
- UNDERWATER DOLPHIN KICKING: The fastest swimmers know how to weaponize their dolphin kicking. It is absolutely, undeniably, the fastest way to move through the water! Whether you dolphin kick on your stomach, side, or back, understanding the importance of streamlined, underwater speed is vital for every swimmer!
- BREAKOUTS: Many swimmers add movements in their breakout that create drag and destroy all of the momentum created during their underwater dolphin kicks. Your swimmer will work on staying streamlined and keeping their head down on the first stroke to accelerate into the first few strokes.
DAY 2 (SUNDAY): OPEN TURNS & FINISHES
Tyler Clary will lead participants through a series of drills to have compact, fast turns in any race. It’s easy for swimmers to have lazy turns when they are tired, but by learning the correct technique and practicing daily, your swimmer can gain speed on each turn. Swimmers will also focus on driving their momentum into the wall for a strong finish for any race!
- OPEN TURNS: Think about the open turn differently! Your swimmer should not be making an open turn to touch the wall and swim the next lap; if they’re doing this, they are actually stopping and then trying to regain speed. An expertly executed open turn involves spinning backwards, enabling your swimmer to carry momentum into the push off.
- BREASTSTROKE PULLOUTS: The best breaststrokers are faster under the water than on the surface! Learn the components and sequence of movements that make up a fast underwater breaststroke pullout from Tyler. With the proper body position and timing, a swimmer's pullout will take them almost to the other side of the pool faster than you could imagine.
- FINISHES: Races can be won or lost by hundredths of a second, and many races come down to the last few strokes. Your swimmer will learn how to use their kick to accelerate into the wall, time their stroke for a perfect arm extension, and keep their head down so they don’t waste any time or strokes as they approach the wall.
Swimmers and parents are invited to ask Tyler questions during a Q&A session. Gain insight into his training regimen, diet and nutrition, and recovery tactics.
WATCH THE CLINICIAN
Observe Tyler swim at full speed and demonstrate a progression of perfectly executed drills to achieve powerful, efficient and fast swimming.
PUT YOUR SKILLS TO THE TEST
Swimmers will get to practice what they've learned by taking their stroke to your top speed with one of the best swimmers and coaches in the world! They'll work on holding onto their form while challenging themselves.
Take a photo with Tyler, get autographs, and ALL PARTICIPANTS receive a FREE Fitter and Faster Collector’s Bag Tag for each day they are at the camp. Collect all 37 and trade with your friends!