Race Strategy Camp: 100’s & 200’s
Sat, Apr, 24 2021 - Sun, Apr, 25 2021
Soundview Family YMCA
628 E Main St, Branford, CT 06405
APRIL 24-25, 2021
Race Strategy Camp: 100’s and 200’s – “How should I swim my race?” It’s a question all swimmers will ask many times throughout their careers. To an outsider, this may sound like a silly question… surely the answer is as simple as “fast’. However, there is so much more to it! In order to be an effective and efficient racer, swimmers must go into every race with a plan as well as a deep understanding of the relationship between all of the elements that make up a great race. This camp is not about any specific stroke; it’s all about all of the possible strategies that go into a fast and efficient 100 and 200 race plan so that your swimmer can find the best strategy for them and become a more confident racer!
Session sizes are limited to no more than 24 participants to ensure the highest level learning experience!
Session Times (Both Days):
Group B: Check in 8:45 AM, Clinic 9:00 AM-11:30 AM
Group A: Check in 12:15 PM, Clinic 12:30 PM-3:30 PM
The clinicians will lead two sessions for each group based on time standards.
DAY 1 (SATURDAY): SWIMMING A FAST 200
Races that are 200 yards and meters are some of the most fun to swim and to watch because of the wide variety of strategies that swimmers can use. Some swimmers will take the race out very fast and hope to hang on at the finish, some will save their energy and finish strong, while others will hit consistent splits to balance those two strategies. World Champion Katrina Reid will help participants see which strategy works the best for their swimming as well as how to implement that plan for faster racing.
- DISTANCE PER STROKE: One way to increase efficiency is to take fewer strokes. Counting the number of strokes and improving technique to decrease that number will save energy. On the other side, it may be faster to take more strokes per length, especially in shorter events.
- TEMPO: Your swimmer’s tempo is how fast or slow they complete each stroke. Having a slower tempo allows swimmers to conserve energy by taking fewer strokes, while a faster tempo is more tiring but much faster. Changing tempo based on event distance and fatigue level will help your swimmer swim as fast as possible.
- PACING: Every swimmer strategies their 200 yard races differently, and Katrina will demonstrate the advantages and disadvantages of these main approaches. Whether your swimmer likes to go out hard or finish strong, having a pre-race strategy will help make sure they are ready to swim each race confidently!
DAY 2 (SUNDAY): SWIMMING A FAST 100
Swimming the 100 requires a unique strategy and planning for fast racing. Technique is tweaked to provide more power for the event, and taking advantage of the start and streamline off each wall has a larger impact. Trying to find the perfect balance between staying underwater, maintaining speed on the surface, and keeping a strong breathing pattern is difficult, but Katrina Reid is one of the best instructors to help teach your swimmer.
- SPRINTING: Sprinting is all about swimming with “controlled aggression!” Katrina will demonstrate how to swim with power, while also being relaxed - having too much tension will make your swimmer slip in the water and slow down. Swimmers will observe how to tweak their stroke to make them quick yet efficient - increasing tempo, shortening the breath, and a strong connected kick will lead to an explosive race!
- PACING: Pacing for races 100 yards or meters can be broken up many ways. Katrina will present different strategies on how to swim 100s: some swimmers focus on each 50, balancing “front end speed” and “back end speed”. Experimenting and learning new techniques will allow your swimmer to improve their 100!
- UNDERWATER DOLPHIN KICKING: The fastest swimmers know how to weaponize their dolphin kicking. It is absolutely, undeniably, the fastest way to move through the water! Whether you dolphin kick on your stomach, side, or back, understanding the importance of streamlined, underwater speed is vital for every swimmer!
At each session, swimmers and parents are invited to ask Katrina questions during a Q&A session. Gain insight into her training regimen, diet and nutrition, and recovery tactics.
WATCH THE CLINICIAN
Observe Katrina swim at full speed and demonstrate a progression of perfectly executed drills to achieve powerful, efficient and fast swimming.
PUT YOUR SKILLS TO THE TEST
Swimmers will get to practice what they've learned by taking their stroke to top speed with one of the best swimmers and coaches in the world! They'll work on holding onto their form while challenging themselves.
Take a photo with Katrina, get autographs, and ALL PARTICIPANTS receive a FREE Fitter and Faster Collector’s Bag Tag for each day they are at the camp. Collect all 37 and trade with your friends!