Past Clinic: Comprehensive Freestyle Racing Camp
Sat, Oct, 26 2019 - Sun, Oct, 27 2019
Utica College Harold T. Clark Athletic Center
1600 Burrstone Rd., Utica, NY 13502
A description of what was covered at this past clinic is below the upcoming clinics.
Upcoming Swim Clinics and Camps
Within 250 miles of Utica, NY.
Dedham Health & Athletic ComplexInfo
New Fairfield High SchoolInfo
Raritan Valley Community CollegeInfo
Victor Schools Aquatic CenterInfo
Stony Brook University - Campus Recreation CenterInfo
Chelsea Piers Aquatic CenterInfo
Shaker High SchoolInfo
Pucillo Pool - Millersville UniversityInfo
Charles River AquaticsInfo
Two-Day High Performance Swim Camp – This camp will focus on racing faster in every freestyle race. Sign up for one or SAVE by signing up for both days!
Each age group will have two sessions: on Saturday, participants will refine their race details including explosive starts and fast flip turns. Then on Sunday, participants will focus on the mechanics of a smooth and powerful freestyle to become faster and more efficient swimmers.
This clinic will be led by Olympians Matt Targett and Brett Fraser! Scroll down to read more about the curriculum.
Session Times (Both Days):
11 & Under: Check in 9:45 AM, Clinic 10:00 AM – 12:00 PM
12 & Over: Check in 1:00 PM, Clinic 1:15 PM – 3:45 PM
SAVE: Sign up before prices rise or the sessions fill up!
Matt and Brett will lead four sessions – two for each age group. This camp is recommended for swimmers with at least one year of competitive swimming experience. Swimmers younger than 8 years old are not recommended without their coach’s approval.
DAY 1 (SATURDAY): STARTS AND FLIP TURNS
Mastering the details of a race may be the difference between a good swim and a great one. The fastest your swimmer will be moving is after the start and turn, so maximizing this momentum is a critical way to drop time. Practicing these movements will help your swimmer gain speed on every wall.
- STARTS: Your swimmer’s proper hand and foot placement on the block can allow them to drive forward with a lot of explosive power. Olympians Matt Targett and Brett Fraser will work with your swimmer to find the best position on the block as well as how to launch their body forward efficiently into a tight streamline and enter the water through a small hole.
- FLIP TURNS: Your swimmer will learn to carry their momentum through the turn to get in and out of every wall faster. Swimmers will practice accelerating into the wall, using their core and arms to get through the turn, and planting the feet on the wall for a powerful push off in the perfect streamline. Swimmers will learn drills and exercises to help them master this athletic skill!
DAY 2 (SUNDAY): ELITE FREESTYLE TECHNIQUE
Freestyle is the stroke swam more than any other in races and practices. Creating and cultivating good habits now will not only make your swimmer faster but will also reduce the risk for injuries in the long term. Olympians Matt Targett and Brett Fraser will lead participants through a progression of drills that will allow them to deepen their understanding of each part of the freestyle stroke and help create good habits for fast and efficient freestyle technique.
- BODY LINE: Your swimmer's freestyle will never be fast without a strong bodyline. Your swimmer will reinforce good posture and engage their core to have a strong foundation for a faster freestyle.
- ROTATION: Participants will learn to utilize their rotation to form more connection and power out of every pull and kick.
- KICK: Your swimmer will become a stronger and faster kicker through learning about both the technique and timing of each kick.
- PULL: The best swimmers in the world utilize an early vertical forearm to put immediate pressure back on the water. Matt and Brett will also teach swimmers how to get maximum extension and a powerful finish to the stroke! Learn new drills and exercises to get more power from every stroke.
- BREATH: All swimmers know to keep one goggle in and one goggle out of the water when they take a breath, but do they know when and how long to breathe? Matt and Brett will show your swimmer how to make each breath more efficient for faster freestyle racing no matter what distance.
Swimmers and parents are invited to ask Matt and Brett questions during a Q&A session. Gain insight into their training regimen, diet and nutrition, and recovery tactics.
WATCH THE CLINICIAN
Observe Matt and Brett swim at full speed and demonstrate a progression of perfectly executed drills to achieve powerful, efficient, and fast swimming.
PUT YOUR SKILLS TO THE TEST
Swimmers will get to practice what they've learned by taking their stroke to top speed with two of the best swimmers in the world! They'll work on holding onto their form while challenging themselves.
Take a photo with Matt and Brett, get autographs, and ALL PARTICIPANTS receive a FREE Fitter and Faster Collector’s Bag Tag for each day they are at the camp. Collect all 37 and trade with your friends!