Past Clinic: Comprehensive Butterfly Racing Camp
Sat, Oct, 12 2019 - Sun, Oct, 13 2019
Dynamo Swim Club
3119 Shallowford Rd NE, Atlanta, GA 30341
A description of what was covered at this past clinic is below the upcoming clinics.
Upcoming Swim Clinics and Camps
Within 250 miles of Atlanta, GA.
Greenville County Aquatic CenterInfo
Cumming Aquatic CenterInfo
The Fort Mill YMCA at the ComplexInfo
Two-Day High Performance Swim Camp – This camp will focus on racing faster in every butterfly race (plus improve in the IM!). Sign up for one or SAVE by signing up for both days!
Each age group will have two sessions: on Saturday, participants will refine their technique in the details of a butterfly race including starts, underwaters, and turns. Then on Sunday, participants will focus on the mechanics of a smooth and powerful butterfly stroke.
Your clinicians for this camp are Olympians Kim Vandenberg and Luis- Carlos Martinez along with NCAA All-American Liam McClosky! They are very knowledgeable and enthusiastic clinicians with the ability to relate with swimmers of all skill levels. Scroll down for more details on the curriculum.
11 & Under
Saturday – Check in 12:15 PM, Clinic 12:30 PM-3:00 PM
Sunday – Check in 9:15 AM, Clinic 9:30 AM-12:00 PM
12 & Over
Saturday – Check in 4:15 PM, Clinic 4:30 PM-7:30 PM
Sunday – Check in 1:15 PM, Clinic 1:30 PM-4:30 PM
SAVE: Sign up before prices rise or the sessions fill up!
Kim, Luis- Carlos Liam will lead four sessions – two for each age group. This camp is recommended for swimmers with at least one year of competitive swimming experience. Swimmers younger than 8 years old are not recommended without their coach’s approval.
DAY 1 (SATURDAY): STARTS, UNDERWATER DOLPHIN KICKING, & OPEN TURNS
The start is your swimmer’s opportunity to cover as much ground as possible in a very short period of time with great efficiency and momentum heading into the streamline and breakout. There are countless intricacies to performing a start, and it will only improve with practice. Kim Vandenberg, Luis-Carlos Martinez, and Liam McCloskey have spent countless hours practicing starts and underwater dolphin kicking and will show your swimmer how to be explosive and efficient with each movement.
- STARTS: Your swimmer’s proper hand and foot placement on the block can allow them to drive forward with a lot of explosive power. Kim, Luis-Carlos, and Liam will work with your swimmer to find the best position on the block as well as how to launch their body forward efficiently into a tight streamline and enter the water through a small hole.
- UNDERWATER DOLPHIN KICKING: The fastest swimmers know how to weaponize their dolphin kicking. It is absolutely, undeniably, the fastest way to move through the water! Whether you dolphin kick on your stomach, side, or back, understanding the importance of streamlined, underwater speed is vital for every swimmer!
- OPEN TURNS: Think about the open turn differently! Your swimmer should not be making an open turn to touch the wall and swim the next lap; if they’re doing this, they are actually stopping and then trying to regain speed. An expertly executed open turn involves spinning backwards, enabling your swimmer to carry momentum into the push off.
DAY 2 (SUNDAY): ELITE BUTTERFLY TECHNIQUE
Olympians Kim Vandenberg and Luis-Carlos Martinez and NCAA All-American Liam McCloskey will work with participants to improve on the complexities of balancing power and fluid rhythm in one of the most dynamic athletic movements. Elite butterfliers maintain forward momentum by setting an immediate high catch with a perfectly timed kick. They are committed to a breathing pattern, perfecting their distance per stroke, and maintaining a horizontal body position - become committed to these same skills...make them YOUR habits.
- BODY POSITION: Elite butterfliers focus on driving their momentum forward with minimal drag by keeping their heads low and hips high. Participants will work with Kim, Luis-Carlos, and Liam on establishing and maintaining the proper body position.
- KICK: Each butterfly stroke has two equally strong and well-timed kicks. Work on how and when to kick in fly for maximum speed.
- PULL: Long and smooth strokes will allow your swimmer to have a more efficient butterfly. Kim, Luis-Carlos, and Liam will teach participants to get an early catch on the water for more power in each stroke.
- BREATH: The most common mistakes that swimmers make in fly occur during the breath. Swimmers will work on low and efficient breaths as well as WHEN to breathe so that they can swim more efficiently on the breath stroke.
Swimmers and parents are invited to ask Kim, Luis-Carlos, and Liam questions during a Q&A session. Gain insight into their training regimen, diet and nutrition, and recovery tactics.
WATCH THE CLINICIAN
Observe Kim, Luis-Carlos, and Liam swim at full speed and demonstrate a progression of perfectly executed drills to achieve powerful, efficient and fast swimming.
PUT YOUR SKILLS TO THE TEST
Swimmers will get to practice what they've learned by taking their stroke to your top speed with one of the best swimmers in the world! They'll work on holding onto their form while challenging themselves.
Take a photo with Kim, Luis-Carlos, and Liam, get autographs, and ALL PARTICIPANTS receive a FREE Fitter and Faster Collector’s Bag Tag for each day they are at the camp. Collect all 37 and trade with your friends!