Walla Walla, WA
2022 Comprehensive Turns Camp
Sat, May, 14 2022 - Sun, May, 15 2022
Walla Walla YMCA
340 S Park St, Walla Walla, WA 99362
Fitter & Faster is returning to Walla Walla, WA for a 2-day camp on May 14th & 15th, 2022! SAVE when you purchase a 2-day camp “Bundle” based on your swimmer’s age group!
COMPREHENSIVE TURNS CAMP
-> DAY 1: Flip Turns, Underwater Dolphin Kicking & Breakouts
-> DAY 2: Open Turns, Breaststroke Pullouts & Finishes
Scroll down for more details on the curriculum! Session sizes are limited to no more than 24 participants to ensure the highest level learning experience!
Start times for both days:
12 & Over: Check in 9:45 AM, Clinic 10-1 PM
11 & Under: Check in 1:45 PM, Clinic 2-4:30 PM
This camp is designed for swimmers with a minimum of one-year of competitive swimming experience all the way up to AAAA times and faster. Swimmers younger than 9 years old are not invited without submitting their times or swimming history to Fitter and Faster.
Quick, powerful turns are crucial to fast times and winning close races. The top age group and elite swimmers aren't using walls just for turning around - they are used to generate speed and momentum going into the next lap. Elite swimmers are constantly working their turns and looking for areas to improve them. Over two days, we're going to work with your swimmer on taking their flip turns and open turns to the next level!
DAY 1: FLIP TURNS & UNDERWATERS (May 14)
On Day 1 of this camp, we will work with participants on approaching every wall in a freestyle and backstroke race at top speed and seamlessly executing their flip turn.
- FLIP TURNS: Flip turns are an opportunity for your swimmers to increase momentum in the middle of a race! Flip turns in which the athletes slow down or have “mechanical” movements negatively impact the speed at which a swimmer comes off the wall. We will work with your swimmer to produce fast flip turns so that they can explode off the walls at maximum speed.
- STREAMLINE: Immediately following the flip turn, a swimmer needs to get into the most perfect, hydrodynamic streamline. Many people think a streamline is very simple, but it’s not! The streamline is the fastest an elite swimmer travels while in the water! Proper streamlines are even faster than underwater dolphin kicking. Even the most elite swimmers in the world are constantly working on improving their streamline. Your swimmer will get tips to improve their streamline and get a better appreciation of what they need to do after every single turn in practice and in races.
- INITIATING UNDERWATER DOLPHIN KICKING: Elite swimmers want to maximize their streamline on every single lap. They don’t want to start their underwater dolphin kicking while they’re still achieving maximum speed in their streamline. They also don’t want to start the underwater dolphin kicking after their streamline has begun to slow. We will teach your swimmer how to time when to begin their underwater dolphin kicking!
- BREAKOUTS: Transitioning from a full-speed underwater dolphin kick into a breakout is so important! Many swimmers start too soon; start too late; or add movements within their breakout that creates drag and destroys all of the speed created during their underwaters. Participants will work on timing their breakouts to explode into each lap!
DAY 2: OPEN TURNS & FINISHES (May 15)
On Day 2 of this camp, we will work with participants on approaching every wall in butterfly and breaststroke race at top speed and seamlessly executing their flip turn.
- OPEN TURNS: Elite butterflyers and breaststrokers utilize speed from their last lap to create momentum and even more speed at the beginning of the next lap. Their open turns are actually not “turns”, but more like high-speed pivots. Participants in this session will work on these techniques to have much faster open turns!
- STREAMLINE, UNDERWATER DOLPHIN KICKS, BREAKOUT PROGRESSION: At this session participants will continue to work on the progression covered on Day 1.
- FINISHES: Setting yourself up for a fast finish is very similar to setting yourself up for a strong turn in any race. Races are won and lost by hundredths-of-a-second at every swim meet. Many races come down to the last few strokes. At this camp, your swimmer will learn techniques to set themselves up for a well-timed finish when they are still about 10 yards from the wall.
- BREASTSTROKE PULLOUTS: The best breaststrokers are faster under the water than on the surface! With the proper body position and timing, a swimmer's pullout will take them very far, very quickly! Your swimmer will practice utilizing this skill to significantly improve all of their breaststroke races.
Swimmers and parents are invited to ask the clinicians questions during a Q&A session. Gain insight into their training regimen, diet and nutrition, and recovery tactics.
WATCH THE CLINICIANS
Observe clinicians swim at full speed and demonstrate a progression of perfectly executed drills to achieve powerful, efficient and fast swimming.
PUT YOUR SKILLS TO THE TEST
Swimmers will get to practice what they've learned by taking their stroke to your top speed with some of the best swimmers and coaches in the world! They'll work on holding onto their form while challenging themselves.
Take a photo with the clinicians, get autographs, and ALL PARTICIPANTS receive a FREE Fitter and Faster GIFT!