Cottonwood Heights, UT
Race Strategy Camp: The IMs
Fri, Sep, 17 2021 - Sat, Sep, 18 2021
Cottonwood Heights Recreation Center
7500 S 2700 E, Cottonwood Heights, UT 84121
SEPTEMBER 17-18, 2021: Race Strategy Camp – The IMs –Save when you purchase multiple sessions for one or more swimmers!
Fast racing is all in the details. Over two days, swimmers will focus on each component of racing fast in the IM! Participants will work with elite clinician Austin Surhoff to develop a deeper understanding of high performance concepts that are incredibly important to racing at an elite level. Sessions sizes are limited to ensure the highest level learning experience!
Group A: (100 yd IM: 1:13 and faster – OR- 200 yd IM: 2:38 and faster)
Friday (September 17): IM Transitions & Underwaters (Check in 4:15 PM, Clinic 4:30-7:30 PM)
Saturday (September 18): IM Strategy (Check in 3:15 PM, Clinic 3:30 PM-6:30 PM)
Group B: (100 yd IM: 1:14 and up – OR- 200 yd IM: 2:39 and up)
Saturday (September 18): IM Transitions & Underwaters (Check in 8:45 AM, Clinic 9-11 AM)
Saturday (September 18): IM Strategy (Check in 11:45 AM, Clinic 12-2PM)
Scroll down for more details on the curriculum!
The clinicians will lead two sessions for each group based on your swimmer’s best times:
Group A: 100 yd IM – 100 yd IM:1:13 and faster – OR- 200 yd IM: 2:38 and faster
Group B: 100 yd IM – 100 yd IM: 1:14 and up – OR- 200 yd IM: 2:39 and up
IM Transitions & Underwaters
The turns throughout an IM are essential! During this session, participants will work with our elite clinicians on different IM transitions and underwaters to maximize momentum into and out of every wall!
- IM TRANSITIONS: The back-to-breast transition has a couple of ways that swimmers can approach it. Austin Surhoff will work with participants to finesse their IM transitions and explore different types of transition turns to have the tools to go from the backstroke to the breaststroke leg the fastest way possible!
- OPEN TURNS: Swimmers will work on transitioning all of their speed and momentum from the butterfly leg into their backstroke leg through a snappy, tight open turn. If swimmers go through the motions of an open turn or have bad technique, they can lose valuable time in a race!
- UNDERWATER DOLPHIN KICKING: Many swimmers go through the motions of dolphin kicking without creating much power. At this session, the clinicians will work with each swimmer to learn the proper muscle activations, size, and frequency of their underwater dolphin so that they can accelerate through the breakout in both the butterfly and backstroke legs.
- BREASTSTROKE PULLOUTS: The best breaststrokers are faster under the water than on the surface! Swimmers will polish up the components and sequence of movements that make up a fast underwater breaststroke pullout.
Go out hard or go out strong? Which IM leg should be pushed harder? Austin Surhoff will help participants understand different types of pacing and strategies for IM events to race smarter AND faster!
- STRATEGY: Every IM swimmer has a different strategy that they have developed over years of practice and racing. At this session, Austin will work with swimmers to develop a deeper understanding of utilizing their own unique strengths and weaknesses to build a customized race plan that will help them swim faster!
- STROKE PACING: There are many ways for a swimmer to adjust their strokes to maximize efficiency or speed. Lengthening distance per stroke at key times in an IM can help conserve energy. Swimmers can also prioritize tempo in their stroke to try to accelerate or finish strong! Elite athletes know themselves and how they need to adjust their strokes. Participants will learn how to seamlessly change these elements within their strokes to maximize the effectiveness of their strategy.
- IM RACING: Many swimmers have different strategies while racing, especially when in the IM’s! Swimmers will need to adjust their racing strategy based on how they stack up among their competitors during the race. Swimmers will work with their elite clinicians on balancing energy expenditure while competing against others to find the ideal combination for IM races!
- STRATEGY REINFORCEMENT & PRACTICE: Swimmers will work with our clinicians on finessing different IM racing learned during the session. They will then practice during a swim set developed by Austin and the Fitter and Faster coaching team to help swimmers maintain their strategy and technique through fatigue!
Swimmers and parents are invited to ask their clinicians questions during a Q&A session. Gain insight into their training regimen, diet and nutrition, and recovery tactics.
WATCH THE CLINICIANS
Observe your clinicians swim at full speed and demonstrate a progression of perfectly executed drills to achieve powerful, efficient and fast swimming.
PUT YOUR SKILLS TO THE TEST
Swimmers will get to practice what they've learned by taking their stroke to your top speed with some of the best swimmers and coaches in the world! They'll work on holding onto their form while challenging themselves.
Take a photo with the clinicians, get autographs, and ALL PARTICIPANTS receive a FREE Fitter and Faster Swim Cap