Cottonwood Heights, UT
2021 High Performance Swim Camp Series
Fri, Apr, 23 2021 - Sat, Sep, 18 2021
Cottonwood Heights Recreation Center
7500 S 2700 E, Cottonwood Heights, UT 84121
High Performance Swim Camp Series – Sign up for one or SAVE by signing up for multiple sessions!
To enhance the instruction for each swimmer, some sessions at this camp series will be separated into groups based on
April 23-24: Comprehensive Starts Camp with Olympic Trials qualifier Marina Spadoni
September 17-18: Racing & Strategy Camp: The IM’s
Session sizes are limited to no more than 24 participants to ensure the highest level learning experience!
Each camp will be led by Elite Clinicians who swam at the highest level and are exceptional teachers with talent for explaining and demonstrating the technique required for fast racing! Scroll down for more details on the curriculum and group/session assignments.
The clinicians will lead two sessions per camp for each group based on time standards or age.
The start is the fastest a swimmer ever moving at any point in a race. It is when you have the biggest opportunity to create momentum. The first session of this camp will focus on the dive off the blocks along with underwater dolphin kicking and breakouts. Then the second session will be all about backstroke starts and relay exchanges.
SESSION 1: STARTS & UNDERWATERS
The start is your swimmer’s opportunity to cover as much ground as possible in a very short period of time with great efficiency and momentum heading into the streamline and breakout. There are countless intricacies to performing a start, and it will only improve with practice. Olympic Trials qualifier Marina Spadoni has spent countless hours practicing starts and underwater dolphin kicking and will show your swimmer how to be explosive and efficient with each movement.
- STARTS: Your swimmer’s proper hand and foot placement on the block can allow them to drive forward with a lot of explosive power. Marina will work with your swimmer to find the best position on the block as well as how to launch their body forward efficiently into a tight streamline and enter the water through a small hole.
- UNDERWATER DOLPHIN KICKING: The fastest swimmers know how to weaponize their dolphin kicking. It is absolutely, undeniably, the fastest way to move through the water! Whether you dolphin kick on your stomach, side, or back, understanding the importance of streamlined, underwater speed is vital for every swimmer!
- BREAKOUTS: Many swimmers add movements in their breakout that create drag and destroy all of the momentum created during their underwater dolphin kicks. Your swimmer will work on staying streamlined and keeping their head down on the first stoke to accelerate into the first few strokes.
SESSION 2: BACKSTROKE STARTS & RELAY EXCHANGES
Swimmers will build on the concepts learned on day one to further refine their starts specifically in backstroke and relay events. Backstroke starts can be difficult to master, but by focusing on correct hand and foot placement, a strong push off, and clean entry, participants will practice exploding off every start. Relays are some of the most fun events to swim and learning proper technique for relay exchanges will help your whole team!
- BACKSTROKE STARTS: Getting into the right ready position utilizing the backstroke ledge with a straight back, hips high on the surface of the water, and feet positioned to get maximum power is extremely important to being able to execute a fast and clean backstroke start. Marina Spadoni will work with swimmers at this session to achieve a beautiful back arch over the water so that they can have an advantage in every backstroke race!
- RELAY EXCHANGES: Both the swimmer finishing and the swimmer starting have a job to do when executing a proper relay exchange. Learning the proper technique for a well timed finish and an explosive relay dive is important in ensuring a legal but small reaction time and a fast exchange.
The 200 & 400 IM are incredibly strategic races. The way you pace every length can have a huge impact on the overall time. Participants at this camp will work to develop a deeper understanding of the essential strategic components of their IM Races. The first day will cover the first half of the IM along with underwater dolphin kicking and open turns. Then day 2 will focus on the second half of the IM as well as breaststroke pullouts and IM transitions.
SESSION 1: BUTTERFLY & BACKSTROKE IM STRATEGY
Many swimmers struggle with how to pace the first half of an IM so that they're racing as fast and efficiently as possible without spending too much energy. Elite Clinicians will help participants to understand the proper pacing for butterfly and backstroke so that they can race faster in each of their IM races. He will also work with the swimmers on underwater dolphin kicking and open turns to get in and out of every wall faster!
- BUTTERFLY TO BACKSTROKE IM STRATEGY: In this session, your clinicians will work with participants to find the right balance of rhythm, length, and power to maximize the speed of the butterfly and backstroke legs of their IM. He will help swimmers understand themselves better so that they can start fast without spending all of their energy. This is a very strategic skill that can make a big difference in your swimmer's IM.
- UNDERWATER DOLPHIN KICKING: Many swimmers push off the wall and simply go through the motions of dolphin kicking without creating much power. At this session, John will work with each swimmer to learn the proper muscle activations, size, and frequency of their underwater dolphin so that they can accelerate through the breakout faster than ever before.
- OPEN TURNS: Technique for a great open turn starts over 5 meters out from the wall by making sure that swimmers time their last stroke to touch at full extension. Then from there the open turn is a backwards spin initiated by driving your knees aggressively into your chest and tucking your chin. This process allows a swimmer to carry their momentum through the turn and into an even faster streamline.
SESSION 2: BREASTSTROKE & FREESTYLE IM STRATEGY
Finishing strong is so important to racing a fast IM. The key is finding the right tempo on the breaststroke and freestyle lengths to allow a swimmer to accelerate to the finish without losing momentum. This session is all about the pacing and strategy on the last half of the IM as well as breaststroke pullouts and the fastest turn your swimmer can do to transition from back to breast: the crossover turn.
- BREASTSTROKE TO FREESTYLE IM STRATEGY: Building speed through the back half of an IM is all about understanding how to increase tempo while maintaining length. Your Elite Clinicians will work with participants to play with their tempo and length in both breaststroke as well as freestyle for a more efficient finish to their IM races.
- BREASTSTROKE PULLOUTS: The best breaststrokers are faster under the water than on the surface! Learn the components and sequence of movements that make up a fast underwater breaststroke pullout. With the proper body position and timing, a swimmer's pullout will take them almost to the other side of the pool faster than you could imagine.
- IM TRANSITIONS: The crossover turn is the fastest way to transition from back to breast in an IM race. It has made headlines lately with even the top swimmers getting disqualified for doing it incorrectly. The clinicians will ensure that participants are aware of the rules and able to execute the crossover turn FAST and EFFICIENTLY.
Swimmers and parents are invited to ask their clinicians questions during a Q&A session. Gain insight into their training regimen, diet and nutrition, and recovery tactics.
WATCH THE CLINICIANS
Observe your clinicians swim at full speed and demonstrate a progression of perfectly executed drills to achieve powerful, efficient and fast swimming.
PUT YOUR SKILLS TO THE TEST
Swimmers will get to practice what they've learned by taking their stroke to your top speed with some of the best swimmers and coaches in the world! They'll work on holding onto their form while challenging themselves.
Take a photo with the clinicians, get autographs, and ALL PARTICIPANTS receive a FREE Fitter and Faster Collector’s Bag Tag for each day they are at the camp. Collect all 37 and trade with your friends!