2019 Summer Swim Camp Series
Tue, Jul, 16 2019 - Fri, Sep, 06 2019
Yorktown High School
5200 Yorktown Boulevard, Arlington, VA 22207
2019 SUMMER Swim Camp Series in Arlington, VA– Fitter and Faster is producing SIX CAMPS as part of the Summer Swim Camp Series in Arlington, Virginia. The series began with a five-day “Technique Academy” on June 24-28 and was followed by a Comprehensive Freestyle Racing Camp. Next up are four, Three-Day Comprehensive Racing Camps – focusing on butterfly, backstroke, breaststroke, and explosive performance.
Each swim camp in the series is limited to only 36 participants and will be led by Elite Clinicians who are exceptional teachers with talent for explaining and demonstrating the technique required for fast racing… each camp leader is also an Olympic Medalist. Scroll down for more details on the curriculum.
- July 16-18: Comprehensive Butterfly Racing Camp with Four Time Olympian Roland Schoeman
- July 23-25: Comprehensive Backstroke Racing Camp with Olympic gold medalist Nick Thoman
- July 30-August 1: Comprehensive Breaststroke Racing Camp with Olympian Kristy Kowal
- August 13-15: Explosive Performance – Starts and Turns with Olympic gold medalist Tyler McGill
You can sign your swimmer up for individual days or you can SAVE by registering for full camps within the series. There is a further price incentive to sign up for the entire series.
Times for each session:
11 & Under: Check-in: 8:30 AM. Event: 9:00 AM – 11:30 AM
12 & Over: Check-in: 12:30 PM. Event: 1:00 PM – 4:00 PM
SAVE: Sign up before prices rise or the sessions fill up!
Each day of the Summer Series will have two sessions. One for swimmers ages 12 & over and one for swimmers ages 11 & under. The camp is not recommended for swimmers with less than 2 years of competitive swimming experience. Swimmers younger than 9 years old are not invited to these camps without your coach’s recommendation.
Start times for each session are on the tickets – click register now to see the times
July 16-18: Comprehensive Butterfly Racing Camp with Four-Time Olympian Roland Schoeman
Technique is so important to being able to swim fast and consistently through the entirety of a butterfly race. On the first day, swimmers will work on improving their technique, rhythm, and timing in their butterfly stroke. Day 2 focuses on the FASTEST part of every length: everything that happens between the flags and the wall! Finally, on day three swimmers will work to maximize their distance per stroke, tempo, and their strategy to maximize their speed in every butterfly race!
- July 16 - Butterfly Skills and Drills: Swimmers will refine and perfect their butterfly stroke by 1) finding best possible body position; 2) an efficient kick; 3)powerful arm pull; 4) and a low breath. The most challenging aspect of butterfly, even for elite level butterflyers is putting it all together and maintaining it through their entire race!
- July 17 - Butterfly "Inside The Flags" - Approach, Turn, Breakout, Finishes: The turns, breakouts, and finishes are often overlooked in butterfly races. These essential components must be perfected in order to race at the highest level. At this session, Olympian Roland Schoeman will help participants find ways to maintain their momentum to accelerate through the 1) butterfly open turn; 2) butterfly breakouts; 3) and butterfly finishes.
- July 18 - Butterfly Racing Strategy: It's important to have the energy to finish strong in a butterfly race. There are many strategies that your swimmer can use to maximize their speed and efficiency while conserving enough energy to finish strong. Roland will work with the participants to understand how to maximize length while maintaining a consistent tempo and fluid rhythm.
July 23-25: Comprehensive Backstroke Racing Camp with Olympic Gold Medalist Nick Thoman
Backstroke racing takes a lot of focus! Without the ability to see where you're going, confidence in technique and stroke count is everything so that your swimmer can give it their all! At these sessions, participants will learn from a backstroke Olympic gold medalist all of the details of a fast backstroke race. Nick Thoman will be in the water with the participants to learn and feel each component of a fast backstroke so that they can put it all together to race with more confidence!
- July 23 - Backstroke Skills and Drills: Engaging your core not only allows you to swim stronger, but it also allows you to hold the proper body position. Olympic gold medalist Nick Thoman will help swimmers learn the importance of rotation and how to use it to their advantage for more power in each stroke. The arm pull in backstroke should press the water all the way through using the whole arm to achieve maximum propulsion. Backstrokers are often the fastest kickers on their teams, find out why and learn to have a stronger kick!
- July 24 - Backstroke "Inside The Flags" - Approach, Turn, Breakout, Finishes: The key to racing backstroke faster is paying attention to the details including 1) backstroke flip turns; 2) backstroke breakouts; 3) backstroke finishes. Your swimmer should have 100% confidence in their count so that they are the perfect distance every time to nail the turn and the finish with perfection. On the breakout, your swimmer won't intuitively know when the perfect time is to take their first stroke.
- July 25 - Backstroke Racing Strategy: Finding the right tempo in a backstroke race can be a challenge for even the most elite swimmers. It is important to build momentum with a fast tempo while maintaining length. Nick Thoman will help swimmers understand how to build through a backstroke race so that your swimmer can drop time!
July 30-August 1: Comprehensive Breaststroke Racing Camp with Olympic Medalist Kristy Kowal
Breaststroke more than any other stroke requires patience. These three days of this camp series will focus on giving your swimmers tips and tools to refine their breaststroke technique and perfect their racing strategy. The Elite Clinician that will be in the water leading each sessions is Olympic silver medalist and former world record holder Kristy Kowal! She will lead participants through drills and exercises to understand each component to a fast and efficient breaststroke race as well as how to put the pieces together.
- July 30 - Breaststroke Skills and Drills: Your swimmer already has a strong understanding of breaststroke technique. At these sessions, allow Kristy Kowal to help your swimmer elevate their skills to perfect their breaststroke technique. Kristy will work with participants to 1) maintain a horizontal body position; 2) achieve a strong kick; 3) a powerful pull; 4) and timing and how all of the parts fit together.
- July 31 - Breaststroke "Inside The Flags" - Approach, Turn, Breakout, Finishes: Day two focuses on what goes on between the flags including the approach and the turn. An expertly executed open turn involves spinning backwards. This enables you to carry momentum into the pushoff. The breaststroke pullout then should carry the momentum from the push off and maintain it. Finally, Kristy will work with the participant to properly time an aggressive finish with head down and arms extended.
- August 1 - Breaststroke Racing Strategy: More than any other stroke, breaststroke tempo and timing is incredibly important. Knowing how to maximize speed as they build their tempo throughout each length is extremely valuable knowledge that can elevate a swimmer's abilities. Kristy will share her strategies and work with your swimmer to find their best length, tempo, rhythm, and timing!
August 13-15: Explosive Performance - Starts and Turns with Olympic Gold Medalist Tyler McGill
Did you know that the fastest part of every race is the start and turn? This is where your swimmer has the biggest opportunity to build more speed and momentum to carry into the rest of their race. During these sessions, participants will focus on starts and backstroke starts the first day. The second day will cover underwater dolphin kicking, relay exchanges, and finishes. The last day is all about turns including fast flip turns and open turns. Leading each of these sessions will be Olympic gold medalist and Elite Clinician Tyler McGill!
- August 13 - Starts and Backstroke Starts: The start is your opportunity to cover as much ground as possible in a very short period of time and with great efficiency and momentum heading into your underwater kicking and breakout. There are countless intricacies to performing a start and you only get better with practice. Elite Clinician and Olympic gold medalist Tyler McGill will help your swimmer refine and perfect their starts off the block and backstroke starts.
- August 14 - Underwater Dolphin Kicking, Finishes, and Relay Exchanges: At this session, Olympian Tyler McGill will work with participants to create more speed and power in their underwater dolphin kicking. Tyler will also work with swimmers to improve their relay exchanges! Both the swimmer finishing and the swimmer about to dive in have a job to do so that they can have the smallest exchange time possible while still preventing a disqualification! A fast and efficient finish and an explosive relay start will improve the whole relay team's time.
- August 15 - Flip Turns and Open Turns: Most age group swimmers add in extra movements on their turns that slow them down and prevent them from carrying their momentum through the turn and into the next length! At both of these sessions, Tyler McGill will be in the water instructing and providing feedback to the participants on how to improve their flip turns and open turns so that they can drop time!
At each session, swimmers and parents are invited to ask the Elite Clinicians questions during a Q&A session. Gain insight into their training regimen, diet and nutrition, and recovery tactics.
WATCH THE CLINICIAN
Observe the Elite Clinician swim at full speed and demonstrate a progression of perfectly executed drills to achieve powerful, efficient and fast swimming.
PUT YOUR SKILLS TO THE TEST
Swimmers will get to practice what they've learned by taking their stroke to top speed with some of the best swimmers in the world! They'll work on holding onto their form while challenging themselves.
At each session, swimmers can take a photo with the Elite Clinicians while wearing their medals, get autographs, and a gift from TYR Sport!