Past Clinic: Short Course Training Boot Camp
Mon, Aug, 26 2019 - Fri, Aug, 30 2019
Yorktown High School
5200 Yorktown Boulevard, Arlington, VA 22207
A description of what was covered at this past clinic is below the upcoming clinics.
Upcoming Swim Clinics and Camps
Within 250 miles of Arlington, VA.
Outer Banks Family YMCAInfo
Warrenton Aquatic and Recreation FacilityInfo
William H. Sonner Aquatic FacilityInfo
Pine-Richland Senior High SchoolInfo
Yorktown High SchoolInfo
Simon and Sara Birnbaum JCCInfo
Fox Chapel Area High SchoolInfo
Four Day Boot Camp PLUS a Video Analysis Session – The purpose of this boot camp is to set up your stroke and get going FAST! This camp will prepare you to begin your short course yards training at a higher level than you ever have before.
This camp will be led by five-time Olympian Brett Hawke (As a coach in 2008, 2012, 2016. As a swimmer in 2000 and 2004). Joining Brett will be NCAA Champion from the University of Texas and former Potomac Valley Swimming Age Group standout John Shebat.
Sign up for the level commensurate with your swimmer’s best 100 freestyle time:
Level 1: Only swimmers with 100 yard freestyle time of 45 to 56 seconds
Level 2: Only swimmers with 100 yard freestyle time 57 seconds to 1:09
Level 3: Only swimmers with 100 yard freestyle time 1:10 to 1:22
Each of the first four days will focus on a specific stroke. Each day your swimmer will reinforce perfect technique with an in water session split between drill work and a swim set specifically designed to improve their skills in that particular stroke. On the fifth day, your swimmer will have their stroke filmed above and below water with analysis of their stroke by Olympic Coach Todd Schmitz.
Scroll down for more details on the curriculum and specific information on the video analysis day.
Session Times (Monday-Thursday):
Level 1: Check in 8:15am. Camp 8:30-11am
Level 2: Check in 12:45am. Camp 1-3pm
Level 3: Check in 3:15pm. Camp 3:30-5:30pm
SAVE! Sign up before prices rise or the sessions fill up!
The Academy consists of four clinic sessions for swimmers who meet the above time standards. Make sure to sign up for the proper group.
All ages and abilities can participate in the elite video filming and analysis.
DAY ONE (MONDAY): FREESTYLE
Freestyle is the stroke swam more than any other in races and practices. The first half of this session will reinforce efficient and powerful freestyle technique. During the second half of the session, participants will put those skills to the test with a training set designed to further develop your swimmer's stroke and racing skills.
- SETTING UP THE STROKE: We are going to work on being hydrodynamic and powerful during the first half of this session: straight and solid body line; still and low head position; perfect breathing; strong kick... and catching and holding water!
- TRAINING FREESTYLE: The second half of this session will capitalize on what was reinforced when we were setting up your freestyle stroke in the first half of this boot camp. You are going to experience a freestyle workout appropriate to YOUR level of swimming. You will be pushed... and you will get better. This elite workout is designed by Brett Hawke, coach of Olympic gold medalists and world record holders including Cesar Cielo. This workout is specifically designed to challenge your swimmer’s freestyle and help identify strengths and weaknesses in their training, which will ultimately transfer into becoming a better racer!
DAY TWO (TUESDAY): BACKSTROKE
Participants in this session will work on the subtle backstroke skills that will help them compete at a higher level. Participants will practice using this stroke technique in an elite training session designed to build backstroke speed in a competitive environment.
- SETTING UP THE STROKE: Engaging the core not only allows swimmers to swim stronger, but it also allows them to hold the proper body position. Your clinicians will help participants learn the importance of rotation and how to use it to their advantage for more power in each stroke. The arm pull in backstroke should press the water all the way through using the whole arm to achieve maximum propulsion. Backstrokers are often the fastest kickers on their teams, find out why and learn to have a stronger kick!
- TRAINING BACKSTROKE: The second half of this session will consist of an elite workout designed by Brett Hawke, coach of Olympic gold medalists and world record holders including Cesar Cielo. This workout is specifically designed to challenge your swimmer’s backstroke and help identify strengths and weaknesses in their training, which will ultimately transfer into becoming a better racer!
DAY THREE (WEDNESDAY): BUTTERFLY
Brett Hawke and John Shebat will work with the participants to improve on the complexities of balancing power and fluid rhythm in one of the most dynamic athletic movements. Participants will learn drills designed to enhance butterfly technique, and then apply those skills to a specifically designed training program. Practice balancing an efficient stroke with the speed and power required for fast butterfly racing.
- SETTING UP THE STROKE: Perfect the complexities of balancing power and fluid rhythm in one of the most dynamic athletic strokes. Elite butterfliers maintain forward momentum by setting an immediate high catch with a perfectly timed kick. They are committed to a breathing pattern, perfecting their distance per stroke, and maintaining a horizontal body position. Brett Hawke and John Shebat will help your swimmer become committed to these same skills to create better habits every time they swim butterfly!
- TRAINING BUTTERFLY: The second half of this session will consist of an elite workout designed by Brett Hawke, coach of Olympic gold medalists and world record holders including Cesar Cielo. This workout is specifically designed to challenge your swimmer’s butterfly and help identify strengths and weaknesses in their training, which will ultimately transfer into becoming a better racer!
DAY FOUR (THURSDAY): BREASTSTROKE
More than any other stroke, breaststroke is the most varied. Out of the eight finalists at the Olympic Games you might see eight different styles of strokes! Without fail, your swimmer's timing and ability to eliminate resistance are both hallmarks of an efficient and powerful breaststroker. After building a solid breaststroke technique during the first half of the session, your swimmer will challenge themself to maintain that form at a higher speed!
- SETTING UP THE STROKE: We are going to work on utilizing the same technique and strategies as world-class breaststrokers. Your swimmer will continue the process of reducing drag and maintaining forward momentum in this rhythmic stroke. We will focus on the timing of the kick and pull; swimming in a horizontal plane with a small powerful kick; keeping the hips high throughout the whole stroke; and generating forward power in their recovery.
- TRAINING BREASTSTROKE: The second half of this session will consist of an elite workout designed by Brett Hawke, coach of Olympic gold medalists and world record holders including Cesar Cielo. This workout is specifically designed to challenge your swimmer’s breaststroke and help identify strengths and weaknesses in their training, which will ultimately transfer into becoming a better racer!
DAY FIVE (FRIDAY): ELITE VIDEO FILMING AND ANALYSIS
Have your swimmer’s stroke professionally filmed SIMULTANEOUSLY above and below water at strategic angles! THEN, have that video analyzed with voice over and graphics on the actually video by Olympic Coach Todd Schmitz. Schmitz has coached six swimmers to Olympic teams - including Olympic superstar Missy Franklin from the time she was 9-years old though the 2012 and 2016 Olympics. Registrants can have one, two or save by having ALL FOUR strokes analyzed! Each participant will also receive one free month of Swim Videos on Demand!
- IMPROVE YOUR STROKE & GET FASTER: Do you want to know why swimmers times began dropping so drastically in the early 2000s and continuing through today? The answer is video analysis! Since so much of the stroke happens below water – it is incredibly important to see what’s going on below the surface! Swimmers in recent years have been able to analyze their stroke with coaches to make technical changes that make them more efficient. This is your opportunity to get beautiful footage of your stroke and get analysis from one of the top coaches in the world... and review at home with your coach.
- REGISTRATION: When you register, please indicate a preference for the morning or afternoon filming session. Participants will receive an e-mail a week before the filming session with the specific time for your swimmer to check in, warm up, and be filmed. Please retain the order number - this is how swimmers will be identified on that schedule.
- FILMING: Our camera operator will have each swimmer swim two 25s at a strong pace of each stroke purchased (1, 2, or 4). The filming of each stroke should take a little less than three minutes. The video will capture a side angle and a front angle simultaneously below and above water to get an accurate view of your swimmer's technique.
- ANALYSIS: Todd Schmitz will use a video analysis application to record his thoughts on each video. Swimmers can expect him to use slow motion, pause the video at specific points, and draw on their video all while talking to explain where each swimmer can improve their technique. Each stroke will have 5 to 7 minutes of expert commentary that you can review with your coaches at home!
- RECOMMENDATIONS: Todd will make recommendations for drills to correct the technique of each swimmer. He will assign specific drill videos in Swim Videos on Demand that he suggests the swimmer practice to improve. Each participant is getting a free month of Swim Videos on Demand to use to make their necessary stroke corrections.
- TIMELINE: All videos will be analyzed and returned within 21 days of the clinic. The analyzed videos along with the original video will be sent via email.
- EXAMPLE: See the example video below to see the quality of the video and an example of the analysis.
Swimmers and parents are invited to ask Brett and John questions during a Q&A session. Gain insight into their training philosophies, diet and nutrition, and recovery tactics. Get to know them and relate to both for their journeys as inspiration for yourself.
Learn the same drills that Brett teaches his swimmers and that Ali Practices every day to achieve fast and efficient techniques. Then get the chance to practice and get feedback from an Olympic coach!
PUT YOUR SKILLS TO THE TEST
Practice what you've learned by taking your stroke to your top speed with a set from one of the best coaches and one of the best swimmers in the world! Hold on to your form while having the opportunity to challenge yourself.
Take a photo with Brett and John, get autographs, and ALL PARTICIPANTS receive a FREE Fitter and Faster Collector’s Bag Tag for each day they are at the camp. Collect all 37 and trade with your friends!