Haven Beach, NJ
Past Clinic: Three-Day High Performance Technique Camp
Tue, Jul, 16 2019 - Thu, Jul, 18 2019
Haven Beach Club
1 West Kentucky Ave., Haven Beach, NJ 08008
A description of what was covered at this past clinic is below the upcoming clinics.
Upcoming Swim Clinics and Camps
Within 250 miles of Haven Beach, NJ.
Green Acres PoolInfo
Central Park Aquatic Center/Occoquan Swim AcademyInfo
Westleigh Recreation ClubInfo
Chelsea Piers Aquatic CenterInfo
Shaker High SchoolInfo
Lititz Recreation CenterInfo
Madison Community PoolInfo
Hollidaysburg Area Senior High SchoolInfo
Regional YMCA of Western Connecticut Greenknoll BranchInfo
Charles River AquaticsInfo
Three-Day Swim Camp – Sign up for one, two, or SAVE by signing up for all 3 days of sessions!
Each session of this high performance camp will focus on essential techniques designed for fast racing. Tuesday will cover explosive starts and relay exchanges for summer league racing (from the side of the pool). On Wednesday, participants will work on freestyle and backstroke. Then on Sunday, the focus is on butterfly and breaststroke.
Your clinicians for this camp will be Olympian Elvis Burrows and National Champion Austin Surhoff! Scroll down to read more about the curriculum at this camp.
Session Times (All Days)
11 & Under: Check in 2:30 PM, Clinic 3:00 PM-5:00 PM.
12 & Over: Check in 5:30 PM, Clinic 6:00 PM-8:00 PM.
SAVE: Sign up before prices increase or the sessions fill up!
Elvis and Austin will be leading six sessions, three for each age group. This camp is designed swimmers with at least one year of competitive experience. Swimmers younger than 9 years old are not recommended for these clinics without your coach’s recommendation.
DAY 1 (TUESDAY): STARTS AND RELAY EXCHANGES
Whether in an individual event or a relay, the start is your swimmer’s opportunity to cover as much ground as possible in a very short period of time. There are countless intricacies to performing a start and your swimmer will only get better with practice. Elvis and Austin will break down these important movements that begin each race. Swimmers will dive off the side of the pool to emulate a summer league swim meet start!
- STARTS: Your swimmer’s proper hand and foot placement on the ground can allow them to drive forward with a lot of explosive power. Elvis and Austin will work with your swimmer to find the best position for their 'take your marks' position as well as how to launch their body forward efficiently into a tight streamline and enter the water through a small hole.
- RELAY EXCHANGES: Both the swimmer finishing and the swimmer starting have a job to do when executing a proper relay exchange. Learning the proper technique for a well timed finish and an explosive relay dive is important in ensuring a legal but small reaction time and a fast exchange.
DAY 2 (WEDNESDAY): FREESTYLE AND BACKSTROKE
Freestyle and backstroke are called the “long axis” strokes because swimmers rotate their torso from side to side. Freestyle and backstroke utilize the same kick, body position, posture, rotation, and an early catch; master these complex skills to become a faster and more powerful swimmer! Elvis and Austin will cover drills and skills to break down these strokes into easy-to-understand movements that will come together for a faster, stronger, and more efficient stroke.
- FREESTYLE: Participants will reinforce holding a straight and solid body line so that they can cut through the water with less drag. Practice keeping a still and low head position (especially during the breath!) while driving a strong flutter kick. Elvis and Austin will also teach participants how to get an early and powerful press backwards on the water in the arm pull to get more out of every stroke. From the 50 to the mile, your swimmer will learn skills that will allow them to drop time in every freestyle race.
- BACKSTROKE: Engaging your core not only allows swimmers to swim stronger, but it also allows them to hold the proper body position. Elvis and Austin will help participants learn the importance of rotation and how to use it to their advantage for more power in each stroke. The arm pull in backstroke should press the water all the way through using the whole arm to achieve maximum propulsion. Backstrokers are often the fastest kickers on their teams, find out why and learn to have a stronger kick!
DAY 3 (THURSDAY): BUTTERFLY AND BREASTSTROKE
Butterfly and breaststroke are called the “short axis” strokes because swimmers undulate at their hips, giving the strokes their distinct up and down motion. These strokes share many other technical attributes, and can be challenging strokes to master due to the importance of rhythm and timing. Working on these two strokes together will deepen a swimmer’s understanding of the technique required to swim with more efficiency and speed.
- BUTTERFLY: Perfect the complexities of balancing power and fluid rhythm in one of the most dynamic athletic strokes. Elite butterfliers maintain forward momentum by setting an immediate high catch with a perfectly timed kick. They are committed to a breathing pattern, perfecting their distance per stroke, and maintaining a horizontal body position. Elvis and Austin will help your swimmer become committed to these same skills to create better habits every time they swim butterfly!
- BREASTSTROKE: Your swimmer will begin with a strong understanding of the timing of the kick and pull and begin to utilize the same strategies world class breaststrokers use to minimize their footprint in the water. Participants will learn the skills of swimming in a horizontal plane, keeping the hips high throughout the entire cycle and utilizing a small but powerful kick while generating power forward with their recovery.
Swimmers and parents are invited to ask Elvis and Austin questions during a Q&A session. Gain insight into his training philosophies, diet and nutrition, and recovery tactics for his swimmers. Get to know him and relate to his journey as inspiration for yourself.
Learn the same drills that Elvis and Austin teaches his swimmers to achieve fast and efficient techniques. Then get the chance to practice and get feedback from an Olympic coach!
PUT YOUR SKILLS TO THE TEST
Practice what you've learned by taking your stroke to your top speed with a set from one of the best coaches in the world! Hold on to your form while having the opportunity to challenge yourself.
Take a photo with Elvis and Austin, get autographs, and a gift from our sponsors!