Comprehensive & Explosive Turns Camp
Sat, Aug, 14 2021 - Sun, Aug, 15 2021
Bouws Pool (Outdoor)
365 Fairbanks Ave, Holland, MI 49423
Comprehensive & Explosive Turns Camp –SAVE more by signing up for multiple sessions across multiple camps and/or for multiple swimmers!
Did you know that the fastest that your swimmer is ever moving through the water (other than the start) is during every turn? On Day 1, the curriculum will focus on explosive flip turns, powerful underwater dolphin kicking, and powerful breakouts. Then on day 2, participants will work on accelerating through every open turn into a well-timed finish.
Session sizes are limited to no more than 24 participants to ensure the highest level learning experience!
This camp will be led by Marina Spadoni who swam at the highest level and is an exceptional teacher with talent for explaining and demonstrating the technique required for fast racing!
Scroll down for more details on the curriculum!
11 & Under: Check in 7:45 AM, Clinic 8 AM-10:30 AM
12 & Over: Check in 11:15 AM, Clinic 11:30 AM-2:30 PM
These camps are designed for swimmers with a minimum of one-year of competitive swimming experience all the way up to AAAA times and faster. Swimmers younger than 9 years old are not invited without submitting their times or swimming history to Fitter and Faster.
AUGUST 14: FLIP TURNS & UNDERWATERS
Focusing on having faster turns is an easy way to drop time and win close races. Elite swimmers maintain their momentum through a quick turn and powerfully push off every wall. Marina will lead participants through a series of drills to have compact, fast turns in any backstroke or freestyle race! Her specialty is sprint freestyle and will use her expertise to drill the turns to perfection!
- FLIP TURNS: Swimmers will identify and work on what techniques carry their momentum through the turn to get in and out of every wall faster. Participants will also practice accelerating into the wall, using their core and arms to get through the turn, and planting the feet on the wall for a powerful push off in the perfect streamline.
- UNDERWATER DOLPHIN KICKING: Many swimmers go through the motions of dolphin kicking without creating much power. At this session, Marina will work with each swimmer to learn the proper muscle activations, size, and frequency of their underwater dolphin so that they can accelerate through the breakout in both the butterfly and backstroke legs.
- BREAKOUTS: Many swimmers add movement within their breakout that creates drag and destroys all of the power created during their underwaters. Participants will work on timing their breakouts to accelerate into the lap.
- OPEN TURNS - GROUP A ONLY: Think about the open turn differently! Your swimmer should not be making an open turn to touch the wall and swim the next lap; if they’re doing this, they are actually stopping and then trying to regain speed. An expertly executed open turn involves spinning backwards, enabling your swimmer to carry momentum into the push off.
AUGUST 15: IM TURNS/OPEN TURNS & FINISHES
Butterflier Marina Spadoni will lead participants through a series of drills to have compact, fast turns in any race. It’s easy for swimmers to have lazy turns when they are tired, but by learning the correct technique and practicing daily, your swimmer can gain speed on each turn. Swimmers in Group A will cover IM transition turns and Group B swimmers will practice developing their open turns. Swimmers will also focus on driving their momentum into the wall for a strong finish for any race!
- IM TRANSITIONS - GROUP A ONLY: The crossover turn is the fastest way to transition from back to breast in an IM race. It has made headlines lately with even the top swimmers getting disqualified for doing it incorrectly. Marina will ensure that participants are aware of the rules and able to execute the crossover turn FAST and EFFICIENTLY.
- OPEN TURNS - GROUP B ONLY: Swimmers should not just go through the motions of an open turn; if they’re doing this, they are actually stopping and then trying to regain speed. An expertly executed open turn involves carrying momentum from one lap into the next. Swimmers will work with Marina to nail an efficient and quick open turn.
- BREASTSTROKE PULLOUTS: The best breaststrokers are faster under the water than on the surface! Swimmers will polish up the components and sequence of movements that make up a fast underwater breaststroke pullout.
- FINISHES: Races can be won or lost by hundredths of a second, and many races come down to the last few strokes. Swimmers will reinforce their kick to accelerate into the wall, time their stroke for a perfect arm extension, and keep their head down to out touch the competition.
At each session of this series, swimmers and parents are invited to ask the Elite Clinicians questions during a Q&A session. Gain insight into their training regimen, diet and nutrition, and recovery tactics.
WATCH THE CLINICIANS
Observe the clinicians at each session swim at full speed and demonstrate a progression of perfectly executed drills to achieve powerful, efficient and fast swimming.
PUT YOUR SKILLS TO THE TEST
Swimmers will get to practice what they've learned by taking their stroke to top speed with some of the best swimmers and coaches in the world! They'll work on holding onto their form while challenging themselves.
Take a photo with the clinicians, get autographs, and ALL PARTICIPANTS receive a FREE Fitter and Faster Swim Cap!