Crown Point, IN
Short Axis Racing & Race Strategy Camp Series
Sat, Oct, 02 2021 - Sun, Jan, 30 2022
Crown Point High School
1500 S Main St, Crown Point, IN 46307
Our first camp back in Crown Point, IN for 2022! Race strategies can be tricky to nail, especially the 100’s & 200’s of any stroke. Is it a sprint? Do you go out fast, finish strong? Our clinicians will answer these questions and more during our 100’s & 200’s Race Strategy Camp. Sign up for individual sessions or SAVE when you purchase a bundle!
January 29:Swimming a fast 200
January 30: Swimming a fast 100
Session sizes are limited to no more than 24 participants to ensure the highest level learning experience! Scroll down for more details on the curriculum!
Session Times (All Days):
Ages 10-12: Check in 8:45 AM, Clinic 9-11:15 AM
Ages 13 & Over: Check in 12 PM, Clinic 12:15-3 PM
The clinicians will lead two sessions for each age group. This camp series is designed for swimmers with a minimum of one-year of competitive swimming experience all the way up to AAAA times and faster. Swimmers younger than 10 years old are not invited without submitting their times or swimming history to Fitter and Faster.
"How should I swim my race?" It's a question all swimmers will ask many times throughout their careers. To an outsider, this may sound like a silly question... surely the answer is as simple as "fast'. However, there is so much more to it! In order to be an effective and efficient racer, swimmers must go into every race with a plan as well as a deep understanding of the relationship between all of the elements that make up a great race. This camp is not about any specific stroke; it's all about all of the possible strategies that go into a fast and efficient 100 and 200 race plan so that each swimmer can find the best strategy for them and become a more confident racer!
JANUARY 29: SWIMMING A FAST 200
Races over 200 yards and meters are some of the most fun to swim and to watch because of the wide variety of strategies that swimmers can use. Some swimmers will take the race out very fast and hope to hang on at the finish, some will save their energy and finish strong, while others will hit consistent splits to balance those two strategies. Elite Clinicians will help participants see which strategy works the best for their swimming as well as how to implement that plan for faster racing.
- DISTANCE PER STROKE: One way to increase efficiency is to take fewer strokes. Counting the number of strokes and improving technique to decrease that number will save energy. On the other side, it may be faster to take more strokes per length, especially in shorter events.
- TEMPO: A swimmer’s tempo is how fast or slow they complete each stroke. Having a slower tempo allows swimmers to conserve energy by taking fewer strokes, while a faster tempo is more tiring but much faster. Changing tempo based on event distance and fatigue level will help each swimmer swim as fast as possible.
- PACING: Every swimmer strategies their 200 yard races differently, and the clinicians will demonstrate the advantages and disadvantages of these main approaches. Whether a swimmer likes to go out hard or finish strong, having a pre-race strategy will help make sure they are ready to swim each race confidently!
JANUARY 30: SWIMMING A FAST 100
Swimming the 100 freestyle requires a unique strategy and planning for fast racing. Technique is tweaked to provide more power for the event, and taking advantage of the start and streamline off each wall has a larger impact. Trying to find the perfect balance between staying underwater, maintaining speed on the surface, and keeping a strong breathing pattern is difficult, but the Elite Clinicians are some of the best instructors to help teach each swimmer.
- SPRINTING: Sprinting is all about swimming with “controlled aggression!” Clinicians will demonstrate how to swim with power, while also being relaxed - having too much tension will make a swimmer slip in the water and slow down. Swimmers will observe how to tweak their stroke to make them quick yet efficient - increasing tempo, shortening the breath, and a strong connected kick will lead to an explosive race!
- PACING: Pacing for races 100 yards or meters can be broken up many ways. Elite Clinicians will present different strategies on how to swim 100s: some swimmers focus on each 50, balancing “front end speed” and “back end speed”. Experimenting and learning new techniques will allow participants to improve their 100!
- UNDERWATER DOLPHIN KICKING: The fastest swimmers know how to weaponize their dolphin kicking. It is absolutely, undeniably, the fastest way to move through the water! Whether a swimmer dolphin kick on their stomach, side, or back, understanding the importance of streamlined, underwater speed is vital for every swimmer!
Swimmers and parents are invited to ask their clinicians questions during a Q&A session. Gain insight into their training regimen, diet and nutrition, and recovery tactics.
WATCH THE CLINICIANS
Observe the clinicians swim at full speed and demonstrate a progression of perfectly executed drills to achieve powerful, efficient and fast swimming.
PUT YOUR SKILLS TO THE TEST
Swimmers will get to practice what they've learned by taking their stroke to your top speed with some of the best swimmers and coaches in the world! They'll work on holding onto their form while challenging themselves.
Take a photo with your clinicians, get autographs, and ALL PARTICIPANTS receive a FREE Fitter and Faster swim cap for the camp.