Race Strategy Camp: 200s
Sat, Apr, 10 2021 - Sun, Apr, 11 2021
Tampa Bay Aquatic Club
3001 Countryside Blvd, Clearwater, FL 33761
Two-Day High Performance Swim Camp – Sign up for one or SAVE by signing up for multiple sessions!
To enhance the instruction for each swimmer, sessions at this camp series will be separated into groups based on
Swimmers at this camp will focus on developing a strong race for events 200 yards in any stroke. Saturday will focus on executing different race strategies for events 200 yards in length. Sunday will focus on swimming a fast 100 yard race. Participants will also work on accelerating through every flip turn and open turn into a well-timed finish.
Session sizes are limited to no more than 24 participants to ensure the highest level learning experience!
Each camp will be led by Elite Clinicians who swam at the highest level and are exceptional teachers with talent for explaining and demonstrating the technique required for fast racing! Scroll down for more details on the curriculum!
The clinicians will lead two sessions per camp for each group based on time standards.
DAY 1 (SATURDAY): SWIMMING A FAST 200
Races 200 yards and meters are some of the most fun to swim and to watch because of the wide variety of strategies that swimmers can use. Some swimmers will take the race out very fast and hope to hang on at the finish, some will save their energy and finish strong, while others will hit consistent splits to balance those two strategies. Your Elite Clinicians will help participants see which strategy works the best for their swimming as well as how to implement that plan for faster racing.
- DISTANCE PER STROKE: One way to increase efficiency is to take fewer strokes. Counting the number of strokes and improving technique to decrease that number will save energy. On the other side, it may be faster to take more strokes per length, especially in shorter events.
- TEMPO: Your swimmer’s tempo is how fast or slow they complete each stroke. Having a slower tempo allows swimmers to conserve energy by taking fewer strokes, while a faster tempo is more tiring but much faster. Changing tempo based on event distance and fatigue level will help your swimmer swim as fast as possible.
- PACING: Every swimmer strategies their 200 yard races differently, and your clinicians will demonstrate the advantages and disadvantages of these main approaches. Whether your swimmer likes to go out hard or finish strong, having a pre-race strategy will help make sure they are ready to swim each race confidently!
DAY 2 (SUNDAY): TURNS & UNDERWATERS
Focusing on having faster turns is an easy way to drop time and win close races. Elite swimmers maintain their momentum through a quick turn and have a powerful push off every wall. Your Elite Clinicians will lead participants through a series of drills to have compact, fast turns in any race. It’s easy for swimmers to have lazy turns when they are tired, but by learning the correct technique and practicing daily, your swimmer can gain speed on each turn.
- FLIP TURNS: Your swimmer will learn to carry their momentum through the turn to get in and out of every wall faster. Swimmers will practice accelerating into the wall, using their core and arms to get through the turn, and planting the feet on the wall for a powerful push off in the perfect streamline. Swimmers will learn drills and exercises to help them master this athletic skill!
- OPEN TURNS: Think about the open turn differently! Your swimmer should not be making an open turn to touch the wall and swim the next lap; if they’re doing this, they are actually stopping and then trying to regain speed. An expertly executed open turn involves spinning backwards, enabling your swimmer to carry momentum into the push off.
- UNDERWATER DOLPHIN KICKING: The fastest swimmers know how to weaponize their dolphin kicking. It is absolutely, undeniably, the fastest way to move through the water! Whether you dolphin kick on your stomach, side, or back, understanding the importance of streamlined, underwater speed is vital for every swimmer!
Swimmers and parents are invited to ask the clinicians questions during a Q&A session. Gain insight into their training regimen, diet and nutrition, and recovery tactics.
WATCH THE CLINICIANS
Observe the clinicians swim at full speed and demonstrate a progression of perfectly executed drills to achieve powerful, efficient and fast swimming.
PUT YOUR SKILLS TO THE TEST
Swimmers will get to practice what they've learned by taking their stroke to top speed with some of the best swimmers and coaches in the world! They'll work on holding onto their form while challenging themselves.
Take a photo with the clinicians, get autographs, and ALL PARTICIPANTS receive a FREE Fitter and Faster Collector’s Bag Tag for each day they are at the camp. Collect all 37 and trade with your friends!!