Race Strategy & Turns Camp
Sat, Apr, 10 2021 - Sun, Apr, 11 2021
Countryside Country Club
3001 Countryside Blvd, Clearwater, FL 33761
APRIL 10 & 11, 2021
Sign up for this camp to improve your 100’s and 200’s in all strokes. Session sizes are limited to no more than 24 participants to ensure the highest level learning experience!
- Race strategy and execution for 200’s in all strokes: Exclusively for swimmers with a 2:15 or FASTER in the 200 freestyle (Group A)
- Race strategy and execution for 100’s in all strokes: Exclusively for swimmers with 1:04 or SLOWER in the 100 freestyle (Group B)
- Explosive Performance: Turns, under-waters and well-timed finishes (Both Groups)
Your Elite Clinician for this camp is National Champion John Shebat and NCAA All-American Ryan Harty! While teammates in college, John and Ryan helped the University of Texas to multiple NCAA titles. Now, they are teaming up with Fitter and Faster to teach and cultivate the next generation of swimmers to become champions in and out of the pool. Scroll down for more details on the curriculum.
Session Times (Both Days):
Group B: Check in 8:00 AM, Clinic 8:15 AM-10:45 AM
Group A: Check in 11:15 AM, Clinic 11:30 AM-2:30 PM
John and Ryan will lead two sessions per camp for each group based on the time standards in the introduction.
DAY 1 (SATURDAY): SWIMMING A FAST RACE
Group A will work on 200's. Group B will work on 50's & 100's. Some swimmers will take these races out very fast and hope to hang on at the finish, some will save their energy and finish strong, while others will hit consistent splits to balance those two strategies. National Champion John Shebat and NCAA All-American Ryan Harty will help participants see which strategy works the best for their swimming as well as how to implement that plan for faster racing.
- DISTANCE PER STROKE: One way to increase efficiency is to take fewer strokes. Counting the number of strokes and improving technique to decrease that number will save energy. On the other side, it may be faster to take more strokes per length, especially in shorter events.
- TEMPO: Your swimmer’s tempo is how fast or slow they complete each stroke. Having a slower tempo allows swimmers to conserve energy by taking fewer strokes, while a faster tempo is more tiring but much faster. Changing tempo based on event distance and fatigue level will help your swimmer swim as fast as possible.
- PACING: Every swimmer strategies their 50/100/200 yard races differently, and John and Ryan will demonstrate the advantages and disadvantages of these main approaches. Whether your swimmer likes to go out hard or finish strong, having a pre-race strategy will help make sure they are ready to swim each race confidently!
DAY 2 (SUNDAY): TURNS & UNDERWATERS
Focusing on having faster turns is an easy way to drop time and win close races. Elite swimmers maintain their momentum through a quick turn and have a powerful push off every wall. John Shebat and Ryan Harty will lead participants through a series of drills to have compact, fast turns in any race. It’s easy for swimmers to have lazy turns when they are tired, but by learning the correct technique and practicing daily, your swimmer can gain speed on each turn.
- FLIP TURNS: Your swimmer will learn to carry their momentum through the turn to get in and out of every wall faster. Swimmers will practice accelerating into the wall, using their core and arms to get through the turn, and planting the feet on the wall for a powerful push off in the perfect streamline. Swimmers will learn drills and exercises to help them master this athletic skill!
- OPEN TURNS: Think about the open turn differently! Your swimmer should not be making an open turn to touch the wall and swim the next lap; if they’re doing this, they are actually stopping and then trying to regain speed. An expertly executed open turn involves spinning backwards, enabling your swimmer to carry momentum into the push off.
- UNDERWATER DOLPHIN KICKING: The fastest swimmers know how to weaponize their dolphin kicking. It is absolutely, undeniably, the fastest way to move through the water! Whether you dolphin kick on your stomach, side, or back, understanding the importance of streamlined, underwater speed is vital for every swimmer!
Swimmers and parents are invited to ask John and Ryan questions during a Q&A session. Gain insight into their training regimen, diet and nutrition, and recovery tactics.
WATCH THE CLINICIANS
Observe John and Ryan swim at full speed and demonstrate a progression of perfectly executed drills to achieve powerful, efficient and fast swimming.
PUT YOUR SKILLS TO THE TEST
Swimmers will get to practice what they've learned by taking their stroke to top speed with two of the best swimmers and coaches in the world! They'll work on holding onto their form while challenging themselves.
Take a photo with John and Ryan, get autographs, and ALL PARTICIPANTS receive a FREE Fitter and Faster Collector’s Bag Tag for each day they are at the camp. Collect all 37 and trade with your friends!!