2023 Scottsdale, AZ Swim Camp Series
Martin Pear JCC
12701 N Scottsdale Rd, Scottsdale, AZ 85254
Fitter & Faster is returning to The Valley of the Sun JCC in Scottsdale, Arizona to produce a 2-day swim camp on March 25 & 26, 2023 followed by a Video Filming & Analysis session on May 13th!
SCOTTSDALE, AZ SPRING SWIM CAMP SERIES
-> Comprehensive Freestyle Racing Swim Camp - March 25 & 26
-> Elite Video Filming & Analysis - May 13
Click the “Curriculum Menu” below for more details on each camp!
-> Availability in the swim camp is limited to 24 participants to ensure the highest level of learning experience!
-> SAVE when you purchase the “Full Camp Bundle” for your swimmer's age group!
Select a curriculum below
COMPREHENSIVE FREESTYLE RACING CAMP - March 25 & 26
Freestyle is the first stroke we learn. It’s the stroke we swim the most at practice. There are more freestyle races and relays at meets... and it is the fastest stroke to move through the water. As with any other stroke, the more efficient and powerful your technique - the more success you will experience with your practices and freestyle races as your career progresses. Over two days, your swimmer, no matter their level, will improve their freestyle technique, racing and training skills! This swim camp will be led by Olympic Gold Medalist: Roland Schoeman!
- DAY 1: FREESTYLE TECHNIQUE (March 25): Cultivating good habits to swim high level freestyle begins as soon as you learn the stroke. Even if your swimmer is already in high school - it’s never too late to begin practicing techniques that will drastically improve their efficiency, power and times. Today, your swimmer will work on techniques to strengthen their bodyline, catch, kick, pull, and breathing pattern.
- Bodyline: A freestyle race is going to be fastest with the proper bodyline. Even the slightest adjustment of the chin, neck, and/or back can make a huge difference. As swimmers mature in the sport and grow physically, their body position shifts and often bad habits are created. Participants will learn and practice proper posture and engagement of their core to have a strong foundation for better technique - creating a full-body connection for more hydrodynamic and efficient strokes.
- Rotation: Freestyle is fastest and most efficient when a swimmer’s body is “rotating” around their spine with each stroke. This part of swimming freestyle has a big effect on maintaining a proper bodyline. Participants will practice activating their core muscles to form a powerful connection from head to toe with every stroke - resulting in faster freestyle.
- Kicking: A swimmer’s kick is the motor behind their freestyle! There are obviously proper and improper ways to kick which we will review at the camp. Just as important, however, is practicing the complexities of how and when swimmers need to “shift gears” in their legs to become stronger and faster racers.
- Pull: The pull in freestyle keeps a swimmer balanced and accelerating forward. Essentially the best swimmers are creating a paddle with every stroke. The clinicians will work with participants to establish an early vertical forearm “the catch”, enabling the swimmer to put immediate pressure back on the water. Properly completing the stroke keeps the swimmer moving forward efficiently and fast.
- DAY 2: FREESTYLE RACING AND TRAINING SKILLS (March 26): The technique for swimming a fast freestyle race changes depending on the distance. Learning to prioritize tempo and length of stroke, while maintaining efficiency has a huge impact on maximizing speed for sprints or increasing endurance for distance races.
- Length of Stroke: A long stroke will enable your swimmer to “catch” and hold onto more water to propel them as they swim. Whereas, a short stroke is inefficient and not sustainable for very long. The clinicians will work with participants on this important skill for fast swimming.
- Tempo: Tempo is the rate at which a swimmer is moving their arms and legs. When sprinting short races many swimmers often tend to take too many strokes (“spin their wheels”) and not “hold onto the water”. At this camp we will explore different tempos that suit your swimmer for different distances.
- Pacing/Control: A swimmer’s tempo will change depending on the race that they are swimming. It may also change at different points during the same race! Your elite clinician will teach participants how to manipulate their tempo, speed and energy at different points in a race. This is called Pacing or “Control”.
- Breathing Pattern: Establishing a breathing pattern will help the swimmer stay focused and relaxed during their swim. It will also help them finish the race with enough oxygen to close the race at full speed.
- Speed Set: At the end of this session your swimmer will do a short and fast swim set to practice everything they have learned over the past two days.
ELITE VIDEO FILMING AND ANALYSIS - May 13
You can get the same video analysis as the Pros! Competitive age group swimmers and adults will have their strokes professionally filmed at strategic angles below the surface! Plus, have your video analyzed with voice over and graphics on the actual video by an Elite Swim Coach!
- BENEFITS OF GETTING FILMED: Since so much of the stroke happens below water – it is incredibly important to see what’s going on below the surface! Small adjustments to your stroke can lead to big time drops! This is your opportunity to get beautiful footage of your stroke and get analysis from an expert… and you can review with your coach as well!
- SIGN UP: Select to have one stroke filmed. Or, SAVE by choosing to have two, or all four strokes filmed. The "multi-stroke options" are for individual swimmers and cannot be split.
- ORDER NUMBER: You will receive an e-mail approximately one week before the filming session with the specific time for your swimmer to check in, warm up, and be filmed. Please retain your order number - this is how swimmers will be identified on that schedule.
- ARRIVING AT THE POOL: When you arrive at the pool, you will be greeted by Fitter & Faster staff who will provide you instructions on the filming process.
- WARMING UP: Participants will have an opportunity to warm up before filming.
- FILMING: Our camera operator will have you swim two 25s at a strong pace of each stroke purchased (1 stroke or all 4 strokes). The filming of each stroke will take about three minutes. The video will capture a side angle and a front angle below the water to get an accurate view of your technique.
- ANALYSIS: Our Fitter and Faster expert will use a video analysis application to record their comments on your technique. They will use slow motion, pause the video at specific points, and draw on the swimmer's video all while explaining where opportunities for improvement are. Each stroke will have approximately 3 to 5 minutes of expert commentary that you can review with your coaches at home!
- DRILL RECOMMENDATIONS: You will receive recommendations for drills to correct the technique of each swimmer.
- TIMELINE: All videos will be analyzed and returned within 14 days of the camp. The analyzed videos along with the original video will be sent via email for you to keep!
March 25 & 26 Start Times (both days):
- Ages 10 to 12: Check in 8:45 AM. Camp: 9-11:30 AM
- Ages 13 & over: Check in 12:15 PM. Camp: 12:30-3:30 PM
- May 13: 9 AM - 2 PM
- You will receive an email one week before the filming session with the specific time for your swimmer to check in, warm up, and be filmed.
- Depending on the number of strokes you are getting recorded, your session time will run between 5 and 15 minutes
- Elite Video Filming & Analysis is for ALL swimmers ages 8 & Over, including adults!
Swimmers and parents are invited to ask the clinicians questions during a Q&A session. Gain insight into their training regimen, diet and nutrition, and recovery tactics.
WATCH THE CLINICIANS
Observe clinicians swim at full speed and demonstrate a progression of perfectly executed drills to achieve powerful, efficient and fast swimming.
PUT YOUR SKILLS TO THE TEST
Swimmers will get to practice what they've learned by taking their stroke to your top speed with some of the best swimmers and coaches in the world! They'll work on holding onto their form while challenging themselves.
Take a photo, get autographs, and chat with your clinicians!
Four-Time Olympian Roland Schoeman is a sprint freestyle and butterfly specialist who's passion for swimming fast is only matched by his passion for imparting his knowledge on others! He has several Olympic medals to his name due to his patience in trusting the process and his focus on doing the little things right. Sign up your swimmer to learn his tips and tricks for being more explosive at this camp! (Photo Credit: Steven Lippman)
Fitter and Faster clinicians are Olympians and National Team members who have achieved at the highest level of the sport of swimming... and who have the unique skill to teach what they know from a technical perspective to swimmers of all ages and abilities.