Past Clinic: 2023 COMPREHENSIVE BUTTERFLY RACING & VIDEO FILMING/ANALYSIS (Ages 9 to 11)
901 W New York St, Indianapolis, IN 46202
A description of what was covered at this past clinic is below the upcoming clinics.
Upcoming Swim Clinics and Camps
Within 250 miles of Indianapolis, IN.
Inwood Athletic ClubInfo
Waterford Kettering High SchoolInfo
Columbus School for GirlsInfo
Lyons Township HS - North/SouthInfo
Saline High SchoolInfo
Genesis Blairwood Tennis, Swim & Fitness ClubInfo
Windsor International Aquatic and Training CentreInfo
New Berlin Eisenhower Middle-High SchoolInfo
Pleasant Prairie Rec PlexInfo
Lyons Township HS - North/SouthInfo
New Albany High SchoolInfo
Leonard Family Athletic Center @ Cincinnati Country Day SchoolInfo
Pleasant Prairie Rec PlexInfo
Dexter Community PoolInfo
West Carrolton YMCAInfo
Crawfordsville Aquatic CenterInfo
Pike High SchoolInfo
New Palestine High SchoolInfo
Fitter & Faster is returning to the iconic IUPUI Natatorium in Indianapolis, IN to produce a 2-day swim camp for swimmers ages 9 to 11 years old on September 16 & 17! Click here for the registration page for swimmers ages 12 & over.
COMPREHENSIVE BUTTERFLY RACING & VIDEO FILMING/ANALYSIS (Ages 9 to 11)
-> DAY 1 (Sept 16):
Session 1: Butterfly Technique
Session 2: Video Filming & Analysis
-> DAY 2 (Sept 17):
Session 3: Butterfly Racing & Training Skills
Click the “Curriculum Menu” below for details on the curriculum!
-> Availability is limited to ensure the highest level learning experience.
-> SAVE when you purchase a “Bundle” for your swimmer.
Select a curriculum below
Sessions 1 & 3: Comprehensive Butterfly Racing Camp - SEPTEMBER 16 & 17
At the highest level of swimming, butterfly is the second fastest stroke and beautiful to watch because of its rhythmic and powerful strokes. There are some complexities to establishing a smooth, rhythmic fly, but with practice and attention to detail your swimmer can master the stroke and begin swimming it for longer distances and at very fast speeds! No matter your swimmer’s level, this 2-day camp will strengthen their butterfly technique, racing and training skills that will lead to faster and more efficient butterfly races! This swim camp will be led by Elite Clinician, Olympian and 19-time NCAA Champion: Marius Kusch & Elite Clinician: Sam Hoekstra!
- Session 1: ESSENTIALS OF FAST BUTTERFLY TECHNIQUE (Sept 16): We want your swimmer to establish a rhythmic butterfly. Today we will practice various drills and skills that will enable your swimmer to have flowing hips and a long, more powerful butterfly stroke.
- Bodyline: A butterfly race is going to be fastest with a proper bodyline. Even the slightest adjustment of the chin, neck, and/or back can make a huge difference. As swimmers mature in the sport and grow physically, their body position shifts and bad habits can emerge. Participants will learn and practice proper posture and engagement of their core to have a strong foundation for better technique - creating a full-body connection for more hydrodynamic and efficient butterfly strokes.
- Kick: Each butterfly stroke has two kicks to propel the swimmer towards the other end of the pool! If the kicks are properly timed and equally strong, they can positively impact your swimmer’s efficiency and stroke timing! Your swimmer will work on how and when to kick in butterfly for maximum speed.
- Pull: Long and smooth strokes allow swimmers to have a more efficient and fluid butterfly. The pull in butterfly keeps a swimmer accelerating forward. Your clinicians will work with participants to establish an early vertical forearm, “the catch”, enabling the swimmers to put immediate pressure back on the water. Properly completing the stroke keeps the swimmer moving forward efficiently and fast.
- Breath: The timing of the breath in butterfly has a direct relationship on a swimmer’s body position, pull, kick and TIMES! At this camp, we will work with participants on breathing with their chin low to the water... and WHEN to breathe in their stroke cycle so that they develop the most efficient stroke possible!
- Session 3: BUTTERFLY RACING AND TRAINING SKILLS (Sept 17): On the first day of this camp swimmers worked on skills to implement a solid, efficient butterfly stroke. On Day 2 we will work on racing skills and apply speed to their butterfly. Your swimmer's elite clinicians will work with participants on maintaining their technique by developing proper distance per stroke, appropriate race tempo, and training for a faster and stronger butterfly.
- Length of Stroke: Lengthening your swimmer’s butterfly stroke will enable them to “catch” and hold onto more water to propel them as they swim. In butterfly, it is particularly important to establish a “rhythmic flow”. We will teach participants how to stay long and avoid a short butterfly stroke that is inefficient and not sustainable for very long. The clinicians will work with participants on this important skill for swimming fast butterfly.
- Tempo: Tempo in butterfly is the rate at which a swimmer is moving their arms and hips. When swimming butterfly races many athletes tend to take too many short strokes (“spin their wheels”) and not “hold onto the water”. At this camp we will explore different tempos that are sustainable for any distance your swimmer is racing.
- Powerful Underwater Dolphin Kicking: There are a few different techniques that swimmers use when underwater dolphin kicking. The common theme of these techniques is that the best swimmers kick up and down with equal power. We will show your swimmer the different techniques that elite swimmers use and teach them how to implement.
- Speed Set: At the end of this session your swimmer will do a short and fast swim set to practice everything they have learned over the past two days.
Session 2: Video Filming & Analysis - SEPTEMBER 16
Sign up to get the same video analysis as the Pros! Competitive age group swimmers and adults will have their strokes filmed by Sam Hoekstra at strategic angles below the surface! After the filming your video will be analyzed with voice over and graphics on the actual video by an elite swim coach! Since so much of the stroke happens below water – it is incredibly important to see what’s going on below the surface! Small adjustments to your stroke can lead to big time drops! This is your opportunity to get beautiful footage of your stroke and get analysis from an expert… and you can review with your coach as well!
- ANALYSIS: Our Fitter and Faster expert will use a video analysis application to record their comments on your technique. They will use slow motion, pause the video at specific points, and draw on the swimmer's video all while explaining where opportunities for improvement are. Each stroke will have approximately 3 to 5 minutes of expert commentary that you can review with your coaches at home!
- DRILL RECOMMENDATIONS: You will receive recommendations for drills to correct the technique of each swimmer.
- SIGN UP: Select to have one stroke filmed. Or, SAVE by choosing to have all four strokes filmed. The "multi-stroke options" are for individual swimmers and cannot be split.
- ARRIVING AT THE POOL (Retain your order number): You will receive an e-mail approximately one week before the filming session with the specific time for your swimmer to check in, warm up, and be filmed. Please retain your order number - this is how swimmers will be identified on that schedule. When you arrive at the pool, you will be greeted by Fitter & Faster staff who will provide you instructions on the filming process.
- ARRIVING AT THE POOL: When you arrive at the pool, you will be greeted by Fitter & Faster staff who will provide you instructions on the filming process.
- WARM UP: Participants will have an opportunity to warm up before filming.
- FILMING: Our camera operator will have you swim two 25s at a strong pace of each stroke purchased (1 stroke or all 4 strokes). The filming of each stroke will take about three minutes. The video will capture a side angle and a front angle below the water to get an accurate view of your technique.
- SESSION LEGNTH: Depending on the number of strokes you are getting recorded, your session time will run between 5 and 15 minutes.
- TIMELINE: All videos will be analyzed and returned within 14 days of the camp. The analyzed videos along with the original video will be sent via email for you to keep!
START TIMES FOR SESSIONS 1 & 3: Check in 9 AM, Camp 9:15-11:45 AM Session 2 (VIDEO ANALYSIS):
- Participants will be scheduled between 4:30 pm - 7:30 pm
- You will receive an email a week before the filming session with the specific time for your swimmer to check in, warm up, and be filmed.
- Depending on the number of strokes you are getting recorded, your session time will run between 5 and 15 minutes
Swimmers and parents are invited to ask the clinicians questions during a Q&A session. Gain insight into their training regimen, diet and nutrition, and recovery tactics.
WATCH THE CLINICIANS
Observe clinicians swim at full speed and demonstrate a progression of perfectly executed drills to achieve powerful, efficient and fast swimming.
PUT YOUR SKILLS TO THE TEST
Swimmers will get to practice what they've learned by taking their stroke to your top speed with some of the best swimmers and coaches in the world! They'll work on holding onto their form while challenging themselves.
Take a photo, get autographs, and chat with your clinicians!
Marius Kusch is an Olympian and 19-time NCAA Champion. He brings years of experience in international competition, and passion for the sport, to the pool. Marius strives to foster a love of swimming in young athletes, and encourages Fitter & Faster camp participants to develop good habits from an early age. Sign up for a camp with Marius today!
Sam Hoekstra is known for his role as an important member of some fast relays! He is a two-time All Big-East performer from the University of Louisville. Sam is now a coach with a big personality that swimmers of all ages and abilities can benefit from. Sign up to learn from Sam at this swim camp!
Fitter and Faster clinicians are Olympians and National Team members who have achieved at the highest level of the sport of swimming... and who have the unique skill to teach what they know from a technical perspective to swimmers of all ages and abilities.