IM Race Strategy & Breaststroke Racing Camp Series
Sat, Aug, 14 2021 - Sun, Aug, 15 2021
Northland Swim Club (Outdoor)
5006 Almont Dr, Columbus, OH 43229
High Performance Breaststroke Racing Camp –Sign up for individual sessions or SAVE when you purchase a Bundle!
This swim camp is designed to help participants focus on how to improve their breaststroke technique and racing speed to make their swims POP! This camp will be led by elite clinicians and Olympians Carlos Claverie and Nick Thoman!
Session sizes are limited to no more than 24 participants to ensure the highest level learning experience!
Session Times (All Days):
11 & under: Check in 7 AM, Clinic 7:15-9:45 AM
12 & up: Check in 10:15 AM, Clinic 10:30-1:30 PM
Scroll down for more details on the curriculum.
These camps are designed for swimmers with a minimum of one-year of competitive swimming experience all the way up to AAAA times and faster. Swimmers younger than 9 years old are not invited without submitting their times or swimming history to Fitter and Faster.
This comprehensive racing camp is focused on racing faster in every breaststroke event. Saturday will cover the fundamentals of strong breaststroke technique. Sunday will focus on breaststroke specific racing skills as well as strategies for faster racing from the 50 to 200 breaststroke.
AUGUST 14: HIGH PERFORMANCE BREASTSTROKE TECHNIQUE
More than any other stroke, breaststroke is the most varied. Out of the eight finalists at the Olympic Games you might see eight different styles of strokes! Without fail, your swimmer's timing and ability to eliminate resistance are both hallmarks of an efficient and powerful breaststroker. Your swimmer has the foundation, now learn from the expert how to utilize your core and hip drive to create a fluid and more forward driving stroke.
- BODY POSITION: The best swimmers in the world learn at a young age about the importance of being patient with their stroke and trusting their "glide position". Too many young swimmers rush their stroke, create "drag" (i.e. slow themselves down) and exhaust themselves. Elite Clinicians will work with participants to maintain a better body position for a more efficient breaststroke.
- KICK: The three parts of the kick are hips, knees, and feet. Carlos Claverie and Nick Thoman will work with participants to kick with power from their hips while keeping their knees close and feet wide. The kick is about 80% of the power in breaststroke. Get more out of each kick for a faster breaststroke!
- PULL: Participants in this session will learn drills to encourage them to keep their hands and elbows high on the water throughout the entire pull, thereby minimizing resistance and maintaining speed.
- TIMING: A fast breaststroke is all about the rhythm! The proper timing will make your stroke fast, smooth and less taxing on your body. Learn how your clinicians time their breaststroke for ultimate efficiency.
AUGUST 15: BREASTSTROKE APPLIED SPEED
After building a solid breaststroke stroke on day 1, swimmers will then refine their racing skills and cover different strategies for faster racing. Carlos Claverie and Nick Thoman will work with swimmers on how to develop a race plan for any breaststroke race, whether a 50, 100, or 200. Participants will focus on swimming breaststroke with speed and efficiency, as well as accelerating in and out of every wall and executing powerful pullouts.
- TEMPO: Your swimmer’s tempo is how fast or slow they complete each stroke. Having a slower tempo allows swimmers to conserve energy by taking fewer strokes, while a faster tempo is more tiring but much faster. Changing tempo based on event distance and fatigue level will help your swimmer swim as fast as possible.
- DISTANCE PER STROKE: One way to increase efficiency is to take fewer strokes. Counting the number of strokes and improving technique to decrease that number will save energy. On the other side, it may be faster to take more strokes per length, especially in shorter events.
- PACING: Especially in breaststroke racing, it’s important for swimmers to get into a rhythm. While a 50 breaststroke is all about a fast turnover and snapping the kick, a 200 breaststroke is almost a different stroke with a strong pull, powerful kick, and long glide. Learn how to properly split each event for faster racing!
- BREASTSTROKE PULLOUTS: The best breaststrokers are faster under the water than on the surface! Learn the components and sequence of movements that make up a fast underwater breaststroke pullout. With the proper body position and timing, a swimmer's pullout will take them almost to the other side of the pool faster than you could imagine.
- TRAINING BREASTSTROKE: Also included in this session is an elite workout designed by your clinicians and the Fitter and Faster Coaching Team. This workout is specifically designed to challenge your swimmer’s breaststroke and help identify strengths and weaknesses in their training, which will ultimately transfer into becoming a better racer!
Swimmers and parents are invited to ask their clinicians questions during a Q&A session. Gain insight into their training regimen, diet and nutrition, and recovery tactics.
WATCH THE CLINICIANS
Observe your clinicians swim at full speed and demonstrate a progression of perfectly executed drills to achieve powerful, efficient and fast swimming.
PUT YOUR SKILLS TO THE TEST
Swimmers will get to practice what they've learned by taking their stroke to your top speed with some of the best swimmers and coaches in the world! They'll work on holding onto their form while challenging themselves.
Take a photo with Carlos Claverie and Nick Thoman, get autographs, and ALL PARTICIPANTS receive a FREE Fitter and Faster swim cap!