High Performance Technique for Faster Racing
Sat, Nov, 30 2019 - Sun, Dec, 01 2019
Silverton Community Swimming Pool
601 Miller St., Silverton, OR 97381
Two-Day High Performance Stroke Technique & Explosive Performance Swim Camp – Sign up for one or SAVE by signing up for all four sessions!
Your swimmer is going to improve at this intimate high performance four session camp. Each session has a distinct curriculum designed to improve participants‘ stroke technique as well as starts and turns.
Session 1: Starts, Underwater Dolphin Kicking, & Breakouts
Session 2: High Performance Butterfly & Breaststroke
Session 3: Flip Turns, Open Turns, & Finishes
Session 4: High Performance Sprint Freestyle
Your Elite Clinicians for this camp are National Champion Austin Surhoff and Coach Doug Djang! Scroll down for more details on the curriculum.
Session 1 – Check in 7:45 AM, Clinic 8:00 AM-10:00 AM
Session 2 – Check in 10:00 AM, Clinic 10:15 AM-12:15 PM
Session 3 – Check in 7:45 AM, Clinic 8:00 AM-10:00 AM
Session 4 – Check in 10:00 AM, Clinic 10:15 AM-12:15 PM
SAVE: Sign up before prices increase or the sessions fill up.
Austin and Doug will lead four sessions. This camp is for competitive swimmers ages 10 & up. Swimmers younger than 10 years old are not recommended without a coach’s approval.
SESSION 1: EXPLOSIVE STARTS, UNDERWATERS, & BREAKOUTS
The start is your swimmer’s opportunity to cover as much ground as possible in a very short period of time with great efficiency and momentum heading into the streamline and breakout. There are countless intricacies to performing a start, and it will only improve with practice. National Champion Austin Surhoff and Coach Doug Djang have spent countless hours practicing starts and underwater dolphin kicking and will show your swimmer how to be explosive and efficient with each movement.
- STARTS: Your swimmer’s proper hand and foot placement on the block can allow them to drive forward with a lot of explosive power. Austin and Doug will work with your swimmer to find the best position on the block as well as how to launch their body forward efficiently into a tight streamline and enter the water through a small hole.
- UNDERWATER DOLPHIN KICKING: The fastest swimmers know how to weaponize their dolphin kicking. It is absolutely, undeniably, the fastest way to move through the water! Whether you dolphin kick on your stomach, side, or back, understanding the importance of streamlined, underwater speed is vital for every swimmer!
- BREAKOUTS: Many swimmers add movements in their breakout that create drag and destroy all of the momentum created during their underwater dolphin kicks. Your swimmer will work on staying streamlined and keeping their head down on the first stoke to accelerate into the first few strokes.
SESSION 2: HIGH PERFORMANCE BUTTERFLY AND BREASTSTROKE
Butterfly and breaststroke are called the “short axis” strokes because swimmers undulate at their hips, giving the strokes their distinct up and down motion. These strokes share many other technical attributes, and can be challenging strokes to master due to the importance of rhythm and timing. Working on these two strokes together will deepen a swimmer’s understanding of the technique required to swim with more efficiency and speed.
- BUTTERFLY: Perfect the complexities of balancing power and fluid rhythm in one of the most dynamic athletic strokes. Elite butterfliers maintain forward momentum by setting an immediate high catch with a perfectly timed kick. They are committed to a breathing pattern, perfecting their distance per stroke, and maintaining a horizontal body position. Austin Surhoff and Doug Djang will help your swimmer become committed to these same skills to create better habits every time they swim butterfly!
- BREASTSTROKE: Learn to utilize the same technique and strategies as world-class breaststrokers. Your swimmer will continue the process of reducing drag in this rhythmic stroke. We will focus on the timing of the kick and pull; swimming in a horizontal plane with a small powerful kick; keeping the hips high throughout the whole stroke; and generating forward power in their recovery.
SESSION 3: FAST FLIP TURNS, OPEN TURNS, & FINISHES
Focusing on having faster turns is an easy way to drop time and win close races. Elite swimmers maintain their momentum through a quick turn and have a powerful push off every wall. National Champion Austin Surhoff and Coach Doug Djang will lead participants through a series of drills to have compact, fast turns in any race. It’s easy for swimmers to have lazy turns when they are tired, but by learning the correct technique and practicing daily, your swimmer can gain speed on each turn.
- FLIP TURNS: Your swimmer will learn to carry their momentum through the turn to get in and out of every wall faster. Swimmers will practice accelerating into the wall, using their core and arms to get through the turn, and planting the feet on the wall for a powerful push off in the perfect streamline. Swimmers will learn drills and exercises to help them master this athletic skill!
- OPEN TURNS: Think about the open turn differently! Your swimmer should not be making an open turn to touch the wall and swim the next lap; if they’re doing this, they are actually stopping and then trying to regain speed. An expertly executed open turn involves spinning backwards, enabling your swimmer to carry momentum into the push off.
- FINISHES: Races can be won or lost by hundredths of a second, and many races come down to the last few strokes. Your swimmer will learn how to use their kick to accelerate into the wall, time their stroke for a perfect arm extension, and keep their head down so they don’t waste any time or strokes as they approach the wall.
SESSION 4: HIGH PERFORMANCE SPRINT FREESTYLE
Freestyle is the stroke swam more than any other in races and practices. Creating and cultivating good habits now will not only make your swimmer faster but will also reduce the risk for injuries in the long term. Austin Surhoff and Doug Djang will lead participants through a progression of freestyle drills. These will allow them to deepen their understanding of each part of the stroke and help create good habits for fast and efficient freestyle technique.
- SPRINTING: Sprinting is all about swimming with “controlled aggression!” Austin will demonstrate how to swim with power, while also being relaxed - having too much tension will make your swimmer slip in the water and slow down. Swimmers will observe how to tweak their stroke to make them quick yet efficient - increasing tempo, shortening the breath, and a strong connected kick will lead to an explosive race!
- BODYLINE & ROTATION: Your swimmer's freestyle will never be fast without a strong bodyline. Your swimmer will reinforce good posture and engage their core to have a strong foundation for a faster freestyle. Participants will learn to utilize their rotation to form more connection and power out of every pull and kick.
- KICK: Your swimmer will become a stronger and faster kicker through learning about both the technique and timing of each kick.
- PULL: The best swimmers in the world utilize an early vertical forearm to put immediate pressure back on the water. Austin and Doug will also teach swimmers how to get maximum extension and a powerful finish to the stroke! Learn new drills and exercises to get more power from every stroke.
- BREATH: All swimmers know to keep one goggle in and one goggle out of the water when they take a breath, but do they know when and how long to breathe? Austin and Doug will show your swimmer how to make each breath more efficient for faster freestyle racing no matter what distance.
Swimmers and parents are invited to ask Austin and Doug questions during a Q&A session. Gain insight into their training regimens, diet and nutrition, and recovery tactics.
WATCH THE CLINICIANS
Observe Austin swim at full speed and demonstrate a progression of perfectly executed drills to achieve powerful, efficient and fast swimming.
PUT YOUR SKILLS TO THE TEST
Swimmers will get to practice what they've learned by taking their stroke to top speed with one of the best swimmers and one of the best coaches in the world! They'll work on holding onto their form while challenging themselves.
Take a photo with Austin and Doug, get autographs, and ALL PARTICIPANTS receive a FREE Fitter and Faster Collector’s Bag Tag for each day they are at the camp. Collect all 37 and trade with your friends!