Past Clinic: High Performance Technique for Faster Racing
Sat, Feb, 22 2020 - Sun, Feb, 23 2020
Rockledge High School
100 Raider Way, Rockledge, FL 32955
A description of what was covered at this past clinic is below the upcoming clinics.
Upcoming Swim Clinics and Camps
Within 250 miles of Rockledge, FL.
Plantation Aquatic ComplexInfo
Two-Day High Performance Swim Camp - Sign up for one or SAVE by signing up for all four sessions!
Your swimmer is going to improve at this intimate four-session High Performance Camp. Each session has a distinct curriculum designed to improve participants‘ technique, efficiency, and speed in all four strokes as well as refine starts and turns:
- Session 1: Freestyle & Backstroke
- Session 2: Butterfly
- Session 3: Breaststroke
- Session 4: Starts & Turns
*Each session is limited to 36 swimmers!
This camp will be led by Coach Jack Roach, Olympic medalist Kim Vandenberg, and Olympian Elvis Burrows! They are exceptional teachers with talent for explaining and demonstrating the technique required for fast racing. Scroll down for more details on the curriculum!
Session Times (Both Days):
Sessions 1 & 3: Check in 9:00 AM, Clinic 9:15 AM-11:15 AM
Sessions 2 & 4: Check in 11:45 AM, Clinic 12:00 PM-2:00 PM
Jack, Kim, and Elvis will lead four sessions over two days. This camp is designed for all swimmers ages 10 & up. Swimmers younger than 10 years old are not recommended without a coach’s approval.
SESSION 1: HIGH PERFORMANCE FREESTYLE & BACKSTROKE
Freestyle and backstroke are called the “long axis” strokes because swimmers rotate their hips and torso from side to side. Freestyle and backstroke utilize the same kick, body position, posture, rotation, and an early catch; improve these complex skills to become a faster and more powerful swimmer! Coach Jack Roach, Olympic medalist Kim Vandenberg, and Olympian Elvis Burrows will cover drills and skills to break down these strokes into easy-to-understand movements that will come together for a faster, stronger, and more efficient stroke technique.
- FREESTYLE: Participants will reinforce holding a straight and solid body line so that they can cut through the water with less drag. Practice keeping a still and low head position (especially during the breath!) while driving a strong flutter kick. Jack, Kim, and Elvis will also teach participants how to get an early and powerful press backwards on the water in the arm pull to get more out of every stroke. From the 50 to the mile, your swimmer will learn skills that will allow them to drop time in every freestyle race.
- BACKSTROKE: Engaging the core not only allows swimmers to swim stronger, but it also allows them to hold the proper body position. Jack, Kim, and Elvis will help participants learn the importance of rotation and how to use it to their advantage for more power in each stroke. The arm pull in backstroke should press the water all the way through using the whole arm to achieve maximum propulsion. Backstrokers are often the fastest kickers on their teams, find out why and learn to have a stronger kick!
SESSION 2: HIGH PERFORMANCE BUTTERFLY TECHNIQUE
Jack Roach, Kim Vandenberg, and Elvis Burrows will work with the participants to improve on the complexities of balancing power and fluid rhythm in one of the most dynamic athletic movements. Elite butterfliers maintain forward momentum by setting an immediate high catch with a perfectly timed kick. They are committed to a breathing pattern, perfecting their distance per stroke, and maintaining a horizontal body position - become committed to these same skills...make them YOUR habits.
- BODY POSITION: Elite butterfliers focus on driving their momentum forward with minimal drag by keeping their heads low and hips high. Participants will work with Jack, Kim, and Elvis on establishing and maintaining the proper body position.
- KICK: Each butterfly stroke has two equally strong and well-timed kicks. Work on how and when to kick in butterfly for maximum speed.
- PULL: Long and smooth strokes will allow your swimmer to have a more efficient butterfly. Jack, Kim, and Elvis will teach participants to get an early catch on the water for more power in each stroke.
- BREATH: The most common mistakes swimmers make in fly occur during the breath. Swimmers will work on low and efficient breaths as well as WHEN to breathe so that they can swim more efficiently on the breath stroke.
SESSION 3: HIGH PERFORMANCE BREASTSTROKE TECHNIQUE
More than any other stroke, breaststroke is the most varied. Out of the eight finalists at the Olympic Games you might see eight different styles of strokes! Without fail, your swimmer's timing and ability to eliminate resistance are both hallmarks of an efficient and powerful breaststroker. Your swimmer has the foundation, now learn from the expert how to utilize your core and hip drive to create a fluid and more forward driving stroke.
- BODY POSITION: The best swimmers in the world learn at a young age about the importance of being patient with their stroke and trusting their "glide position". Too many young swimmers rush their stroke, create "drag" (i.e. slow themselves down) and exhaust themselves. Coach Jack Roach, Kim Vandenberg, and Elvis Burrows will work with participants to maintain a better body position for a more efficient breaststroke.
- KICK: The three parts of the kick are hips, knees, and feet. Jack and Kim will work with participants to kick with power from their hips while keeping their knees close and feet wide. The kick is about 80% of the power in breaststroke. Get more out of each kick for a faster breaststroke!
- PULL: Participants in this session will learn drills to encourage them to keep their hands and elbows high on the water throughout the entire pull, thereby minimizing resistance and maintaining speed.
- TIMING: A fast breaststroke is all about the rhythm! The proper timing will make your stroke fast, smooth and less taxing on your body. Learn how your clinicians time their breaststroke for ultimate efficiency.
SESSION 4: STARTS & TURNS
Mastering the details of a race make be the difference between a good swim and a great one. The fastest your swimmer will be moving is after the start and turn, so maximizing this momentum is a critical way to drop time. Elite swimmers maintain their momentum through a quick turn and have a powerful push off every wall. Jack Roach, Kim Vandenberg, and Elvis Burrows will lead participants through a series of drills to have explosive starts and compact, fast turns in any race.
- STARTS: Your swimmer’s proper hand and foot placement on the block can allow them to drive forward with a lot of explosive power. Jack, Kim, and Elvis will work with your swimmer to find the best position on the block as well as how to launch their body forward efficiently into a tight streamline and enter the water through a small hole.
- FLIP TURNS: Your swimmer will learn to carry their momentum through the turn to get in and out of every wall faster. Swimmers will practice accelerating into the wall, using their core and arms to get through the turn, and planting the feet on the wall for a powerful push off in the perfect streamline. Swimmers will learn drills and exercises to help them master this athletic skill!
- OPEN TURNS: Think about the open turn differently! Your swimmer should not be making an open turn to touch the wall and swim the next lap; if they’re doing this, they are actually stopping and then trying to regain speed. An expertly executed open turn involves spinning backwards, enabling your swimmer to carry momentum into the push off.
Swimmers and parents are invited to ask Jack, Kim, and Elvis questions during a Q&A session. Gain insight into their training philosophy, diet and nutrition, and recovery tactics.
Learn the same drills that Jack teaches elite swimmers like Kim and Elvis to achieve fast and efficient techniques. Then get the chance to practice and get feedback from an Olympic coach!
PUT YOUR SKILLS TO THE TEST
Practice what you've learned by taking your stroke to your top speed with some of the best swimmers and coaches in the world! Hold on to your form while having the opportunity to challenge yourself.
Take a photo with Jack, Kim, and Elvis, get autographs, and ALL PARTICIPANTS receive a FREE Fitter and Faster Collector’s Bag Tag for each day they are at the camp. Collect all 37 and trade with your friends!