Hot Springs, AR
Past Clinic: High Performance Technique for Faster Racing
Sat, Dec, 01 2018
Hot Springs Family YMCA
130 Werner Street, Hot Springs, AR 71913
A description of what was covered at this past clinic is below the upcoming clinics.
Upcoming Swim Clinics and Camps
Within 250 miles of Hot Springs, AR.
El Dorado Golf and Country ClubInfo
Tyler Aquatic CenterInfo
Webb City High SchoolInfo
Three session swim camp!
This is an opportunity for your swimmer to improve their swimming working alongside National Champion and Elite Clinician Tom Luchsinger!
Sign up for one, two, or all three sessions! The first session will cover efficient butterfly technique. The second session will focus on high performance freestyle. The third session will focus on powerful starts and underwater dolphin kicking. In the 3rd session, select older swimmers will learn the crossover turn – which is an advanced skill for IM races.
Scroll down for more details on the curriculum.
SAVE – Sign up before prices increase or the sessions fill up! Swimmers with a minimum of 1 year of competitive swimming experience should sign up. This swim camp is not recommended for swimmers under 8 years old.
SESSION 1: HIGH PERFORMANCE BUTTERFLY
Butterfly does not have to be the hardest stroke. In fact, the fastest butterflyers in the world have developed the technique necessary to swim fast AND relaxed. Tom Luchsinger will teach detailed technique and drills to help the participants feel, understand, and execute a better butterfly!
- Body Position: Stay horizontal in the water and close to the surface to reduce drag and maximize your speed. Swimmers will learn how to keep their hips high and their chest low.
- Arm Pull: Learn to think about the butterfly arm as three-dimensional. Participants will learn the proper width, depth, and length to maximize the power in every arm pull. They will also learn to achieve an early catch to achieve longer and stronger strokes!
- Kick: How much should you bend your knees in your butterfly? Tom will help each participant feel the proper fly kick technique to maximize power and reduce drag.
- Breath: Most swimmers struggle with how to keep their breath as low as possible. Trust in Tom and work on keeping your chin in the water when you take a breath.
- Timing: Timing is everything in butterfly. The way that the kick, pull, and breathe work together will take a good butterflyer to a great racer!
SESSION 2: HIGH PERFORMANCE FREESTYLE
Freestyle is the most technical stroke and it is also the stroke that you swim more than any other. Tom Luchsinger will lead participants through each part of the freestyle stroke and drills to help them deepen their understanding of fast and efficient freestyle technique.
- Bodyline: Your freestyle will never be fast without a strong bodyline. Your swimmer will work with Tom to reinforce good posture and an engaged core to have a foundation for a stronger and more connected freestyle.
- Kick: Become a stronger and faster kicker through learning about both the technique and timing of each kick from an expert in elite freestyle technique.
- Pull: The best swimmers in the world utilize an early vertical forearm to put immediate pressure back on the water. Tom will teach swimmers how to get maximum extension and a powerful finish! Learn new drills and exercises to get more power out of every stroke!
- Rotation: The rotation is where most of the power comes from in freestyle. Tom will help swimmers dig deeper into how to properly utilize a strong core and powerful rotation to create more speed in their freestyle.
- Breath: Most swimmers know to keep one goggle in and one goggle out when they take a breath, but do they know when and how long to breathe? Tom will show you how to make each breath more efficient for faster freestyle racing no matter what distance.
SESSION 3: STARTS & UNDERWATER DOLPHIN KICKING
The start is your opportunity to cover as much ground as possible in a very short period of time, with great efficiency and momentum heading into your underwater kicking and breakout. There are countless intricacies to performing a start and you only get better with practice. National Champion Tom Luchsinger will share his experience on how he found time to practice and improve his starts both in and out of the water and some of his most effective strategies to execute this explosive and athletic movement. Select older swimmers who are ready will also learn the complex crossover turn.
- STARTS: How you set up on the block including proper hand and foot placement can allow your swimmer to explode forward with a lot of explosive power. Tom will work with each swimmer to find their best position on the block as well as how to launch their body forward into a tight streamline and enter through a small hole.
- UNDERWATER DOLPHIN KICKING: The not-so-secret weapon of elite level swimmers is their underwater dolphin kick. Tom is known as one of the best underwater dolphin kickers in the world and he specializes in teaching swimmers how to unlock their potential in this important skill.
- CROSSOVER TURN (Select Older Swimmers Only): The crossover turn is the fastest way to transition from backstroke to breaststroke in an IM race. It has made headlines lately with even the top swimmers getting disqualified for doing it incorrectly. Tom Luchsinger will ensure that participants are aware of the rules and able to execute the crossover turn FAST and EFFICIENTLY.
Swimmers and parents are invited to ask Tom Luchsinger questions during a Q&A session. Gain insight into his training regimen, diet and nutrition, and recovery tactics.
WATCH THE CLINICIAN
Observe Tom swim at full speed and demonstrate a progression of perfectly executed drills to achieve powerful, efficient and fast swimming.
PUT YOUR SKILLS TO THE TEST
Swimmers will get to practice what they've learned by taking their stroke to your top speed with one of the best swimmers in the world! They'll work on holding onto their form while challenging themselves.
Take a photo while wearing Tom's medals, get autographs, and a gift from TYR Sport!