Bay City, MI
High Performance Technique for Faster Racing
Sat, Dec, 14 2019 - Sun, Dec, 15 2019
John Glenn High School
3201 Kiesel Road, Bay City, MI 48706
Two-Day High Performance Technique for Faster Racing – Sign up for one or SAVE by signing up for all four sessions!
Your swimmer is going to improve at this intimate high performance four session camp. Each session has a distinct curriculum designed to improve participants‘ stroke technique in butterfly, backstroke, and breaststroke, as well develop powerful starts for faster racing.
Session 1: High Performance Breaststroke Technique
Session 2: Starts
Session 3: High Performance Butterfly Technique
Session 4: High Performance Backstroke Technique
This clinic will be led by Olympic medalist Kristy Kowal! Her attention to detail and eye for perfect technique will make your participant a faster and more efficient swimmer! Scroll down for more details on the curriculum.
Session Times (Both Days):
AM Session: Check in 9:00 AM, Clinic 9:15 AM-11:15 AM
PM Session: Check in 12:00 PM, Clinic 12:15 PM-2:15 PM
SAVE: Sign up before prices rise or the sessions fill up!
Kristy will lead four sessions for competitive swimmers ages 10 and older. Sign up for one or SAVE by signing up for all four sessions!
SESSION 1 (SATURDAY AM): HIGH PERFORMANCE BREASTSTROKE TECHNIQUE
More than any other stroke, breaststroke is the most varied. Out of the eight finalists at the Olympic Games you might see eight different styles of strokes! Without fail, your swimmer's timing and ability to eliminate resistance are both hallmarks of an efficient and powerful breaststroker. Your swimmer has the foundation, now learn from the expert how to utilize your core and hip drive to create a fluid and more forward driving stroke.
- BODY POSITION: The best swimmers in the world learn at a young age about the importance of being patient with their stroke and trusting their "glide position". Too many young swimmers rush their stroke, create "drag" (i.e. slow themselves down) and exhaust themselves. Kristy Kowal will work with participants to maintain a better body position for a more efficient breaststroke.
- KICK: The three parts of the kick are hips, knees, and feet. Kristy will work with participants to kick with power from their hips while keeping their knees close and feet wide. The kick is about 80% of the power in breaststroke. Get more out of each kick for a faster breaststroke!
- PULL: Participants in this session will learn drills to encourage them to keep their hands and elbows high on the water throughout the entire pull, thereby minimizing resistance and maintaining speed.
- TIMING: A fast breaststroke is all about rhythm! The proper timing will make your stroke fast, smooth and less taxing on your body. Learn how your clinician times her breaststroke for ultimate efficiency.
SESSION 2 (SATURDAY PM): STARTS
Set the tone for a great race with a powerful, streamlined and fast start. There are countless intricacies to performing a great start and your swimmer only improve with practice. Kristy will share how she found time to practice and improve their starts both in and out of the water and then teach some of their favorite strategies on how to execute this explosive and athletic movement.
- HAND PLACEMENT: Your swimmer will work with Kristy to learn where exactly where to place their hands so they can get a strong pull with their arms on the start.
- FOOT PLACEMENT: Everyone's foot placement might be a bit different but Kristy will teach your swimmer how to figure out what is the best position to gain both stability on the block and explosive power when leaving the block.
- REACTION TIME: The quicker your swimmer reacts the quicker they'll get in the water! Learn the secrets of improving the reaction time.
- ENTRY: How a swimmer enters the water is just as important as how explosive they are off the blocks - all the power created can be for naught if they don't carry that speed forward. Experiment with how steep is too steep, how to get into one small entry hole and how to stay strong from fingertips to toes.
SESSION 3 (SUNDAY AM): HIGH PERFORMANCE BUTTERFLY TECHNIQUE
Olympic medalist Kristy Kowal will work with the participants to improve on the complexities of balancing power and fluid rhythm in one of the most dynamic athletic movements. Elite butterfliers maintain forward momentum by setting an immediate high catch with a perfectly timed kick. They are committed to a breathing pattern, perfecting their distance per stroke, and maintaining a horizontal body position - become committed to these same skills...make them YOUR habits.
- BODY POSITION: Elite butterfliers focus on driving their momentum forward with minimal drag by keeping their heads low and hips high. Participants will work with Kristy on establishing and maintaining the proper body position.
- KICK: Each butterfly stroke has two equally strong and well-timed kicks. Work on how and when to kick in butterfly for maximum speed.
- PULL: Long and smooth strokes will allow your swimmer to have a more efficient butterfly. Kristy will teach participants to get an early catch on the water for more power in each stroke.
- BREATH: The most common mistakes swimmers make in fly occur during the breath. Swimmers will work on low and efficient breaths as well as WHEN to breathe so that they can swim more efficiently on the breath stroke.
SESSION 4 (SUNDAY PM): HIGH PERFORMANCE BACKSTROKE TECHNIQUE
Your swimmer understands the core components of backstroke, now begin to master the subtle skills that will help your swimmer compete at a higher level. Participants will practice using their core to create rotation and a balanced stroke, build a powerful pull with a strategic use of stroke rate, and use their kick as a dominant propulsive force.
- BODY POSITION: Participants will work with Kristy Kowal to feel and understand how to maintain a neutral spine and head position for less drag and better full body connection in backstroke.
- ROTATION: The fastest backstrokers in the world use a powerful body rotation to create more power and increase their tempo. Your swimmer will learn how much to rotate, when to rotate, and how to use it for maximum speed and power.
- KICK: Have you ever noticed how many swimmers’ knees break the surface when they kick in backstroke? This means that the swimmer is kicking with their knees which is less efficient than kicking from their hip. Maintaining maximum propulsion and proper kicking technique will greatly improve your swimmer’s backstroke.
- PULL: It is very important for swimmers to bend their elbow very early in the pull so that they can get an early catch for an immediate and powerful press back into the water.
Swimmers and parents are invited to ask Kristy questions during a Q&A session. Gain insight into her training regimen, diet and nutrition, and recovery tactics.
WATCH THE CLINICIAN
Observe Kristy swim at full speed and demonstrate a progression of perfectly executed drills to achieve powerful, efficient, and fast swimming.
PUT YOUR SKILLS TO THE TEST
Swimmers will get to practice what they've learned by taking their stroke to top speed with one of the best swimmers in the world! They'll work on holding onto their form while challenging themselves.
Take a photo with Kristy, get autographs, and ALL PARTICIPANTS receive a FREE Fitter and Faster Collector’s Bag Tag for each day they are at the camp. Collect all 37 and trade with your friends!