Past Clinic: High Performance Stroke Technique & Starts and Turns
Sat, Sep, 18 2021 - Sun, Apr, 10 2022
Columbus School For Girls
65 S Drexel Ave, Columbus, OH 43209
A description of what was covered at this past clinic is below the upcoming clinics.
Upcoming Swim Clinics and Camps
Within 250 miles of Columbus, OH.
NKU-Campus Rec CenterInfo
Ontario Local SchoolsInfo
New Palestine High SchoolInfo
Northland Swim ClubInfo
Ringgold High SchoolInfo
David M. Hallman III Aquatics CenterInfo
Carmel High School NatatoriumInfo
Richard Wachs Aquatic CenterInfo
YMCA of Huber HeightsInfo
Genesis Blairwood Tennis, Swim & Fitness ClubInfo
Mt. Vernon Middle SchoolInfo
Johnson Central High SchoolInfo
Galion Community Center YMCAInfo
Kiski School - Ross Athletic CenterInfo
Delaware Community Family YMCAInfo
SEPTEMBER 18-19, 2021: High Performance Stroke Technique and Starts & Turns –
This camp will focus on strengthening techniques for ALL STROKES and exploding off of every start and turn! Session sizes are limited to no more than 24 participants to ensure the highest level learning experience! This camp will be led by Olympian Elvis Burrows!
-September 18 (Saturday):
- Session 1: Starts, Turns & Breakouts (9 AM Check-in, Clinic 9:15 - 11:45 AM)
- Session 2: Butterfly & Breaststroke Technique (12:30 PM Check-in, Clinic 12:45 - 3:45 PM)
-September 19 (Sunday):
- Session 3: Flip Turns, Open Turns & Finishes (9 AM Check-in, Clinic 9:15 - 11:45 AM)
- Session 4: Freestyle and Backstroke Technique (12:30 PM Check-in, Clinic 12:45 - 3:45 PM)
Scroll down for more details on the curriculum!
The clinicians will lead two sessions for each age group. This camp series is designed for swimmers with a minimum of one-year of competitive swimming experience all the way up to AAAA times and faster. Swimmers younger than 10 years old are not invited without submitting their times or swimming history to Fitter and Faster.
September 18 (Session 1): STARTS, UNDERWATERS & BREAKOUTS
The start sets up a swimmers race. The more power off the block, the better! There are countless intricacies to performing an explosive start, followed by an efficient and dominating underwater. Elvis Burrows has spent countless hours practicing starts and underwater dolphin kicking and will work with swimmers on being explosive and efficient with each movement.
- STARTS: Elvis Burrows will work with swimmers to find their best position on the block as well as how to powerfully launch off into a tight streamline. Swimmers will also discover their optimal reaction time to get off the blocks fast and ahead of their competition.
- UNDERWATER DOLPHIN KICKING: The fastest swimmers know how to weaponize their underwater. It's the quickest way to move through the water! Understanding the importance of streamlined underwater speed is vital for every level of swimmer.
- BREAKOUTS: Many swimmers add movement within their breakout that creates drag and destroys all of the power created during their underwaters. Participants will work on timing their breakouts to accelerate to explode into the lap.
SEPTEMBER 18 (Session 2): High Performance Butterfly and Breaststroke TECHNIQUE
Elite butterfliers and breaststrokers know how timing, undulation, and rhythm all work together to create powerful, forward-driven strokes. Elvis Burrows will work with the participants to improve on the complexities of balancing power and fluid rhythm in some of the most dynamic athletic movements. Participants will explore the similarities of butterfly and breaststroke and discover how they can use techniques from both to elevate their swimming in either stroke!
- BUTTERFLY: Perfect the complexities of balancing power and fluid rhythm in one of the most dynamic athletic strokes. Elite butterfliers maintain forward momentum by setting an immediate high catch with a perfectly timed kick. They are committed to a breathing pattern, perfecting their distance per stroke, and maintaining a horizontal body position. Elvis will help swimmers become committed to these same skills to create better habits every time they swim butterfly!
- BREASTSTROKE: Learn to utilize the same technique and strategies as world-class breaststrokers. Participants will continue the process of reducing drag in this rhythmic stroke. We will focus on the timing of the kick and pull; swimming in a horizontal plane with a small powerful kick; keeping the hips high throughout the whole stroke; and generating forward power in their recovery.
September 19 (session 3): FLIP TURNS, OPEN TURNS & FINISHES
Focusing on having faster turns is an easy way to drop time and win close races. Elite swimmers maintain their momentum through a quick turn and powerfully push off every wall. Elvis will lead participants through a series of drills to have compact, fast turns in any race.
- FLIP TURNS: Swimmers will work on what techniques carry their momentum through the turn to get in and out of every wall faster. Participants will also practice accelerating into the wall, using their core and arms to get through the turn, and planting the feet on the wall for a powerful push-off in the perfect streamline.
- OPEN TURNS: Swimmers should not just go through the motions of an open turn; if they’re doing this, they are actually stopping and then trying to regain speed. An expertly executed open turn involves carrying momentum from one lap into the next. Swimmers will work with Elvis to nail an efficient and quick open turn.
- FINISHES: Races can be won or lost by hundredths of a second, and many races come down to the last few strokes. Swimmers will reinforce their kick to accelerate into the wall, time their stroke for a perfect arm extension, and keep their head down to out touch the competition.
SEPTEMBER 19 (session 4): High Performance Freestyle and Backstroke TECHNIQUE
Long axis strokes are similar in many ways, mostly by focusing on distance per stroke and rhythm! Learn how to corelate backstroke and freestyle technique and the details of how body line and technique translates to both styles of swimming!
- FREESTYLE: Participants will reinforce holding a straight and solid body line so that they can cut through the water with less drag. Practice keeping a still and low head position (especially during the breath!) while driving a strong flutter kick. The clinicians will also teach participants how to get an early and powerful press backwards on the water in the arm pull to get more out of every stroke. From the 50 to the mile, swimmers will learn skills that will allow them to drop time in every freestyle race.
- BACKSTROKE: Engaging the core not only allows swimmers to swim stronger, but it also allows them to hold the proper body position. Elvis will help participants learn the importance of rotation and how to use it to their advantage for more power in each stroke. The arm pull in backstroke should press the water all the way through using the whole arm to achieve maximum propulsion. Backstrokers are often the fastest kickers on their teams, find out why and learn to have a stronger kick!
Swimmers and parents are invited to ask questions during a Q&A session. Gain insight into their training regimen, diet and nutrition, and recovery tactics.
WATCH THE CLINICIANS
Observe clinicians swim at full speed and demonstrate a progression of perfectly executed drills to achieve powerful, efficient and fast swimming.
PUT YOUR SKILLS TO THE TEST
Swimmers will get to practice what they've learned by taking their stroke to your top speed with some of the best swimmers and coaches in the world! They'll work on holding onto their form while challenging themselves.
Take a photo with your clinicians, get autographs, and ALL PARTICIPANTS receive a FREE Fitter and Faster swim cap!
Inquisitive, Educated Swimmers are Faster Swimmers! Sign up today!
Search all of our clinics...or request a clinic in your area