Past Clinic: High Performance Technique for Faster Racing
Sat, Oct, 24 2020 - Sun, Oct, 25 2020
Denny Price Family YMCA
415 W Cherokee Ave #5598, Enid, OK 73701
A description of what was covered at this past clinic is below the upcoming clinics.
Upcoming Swim Clinics and Camps
Within 250 miles of Enid, OK.
Texas Ford AquaticsInfo
Two-Day High Performance Swim Camp – Sign up for one or SAVE by signing up for all FOUR sessions!
Your swimmer is going to improve at this intimate high performance four session camp. Swimmers will focus on refining their technique for faster and more efficient freestyle and butterfly in addition to practicing starts and refining racing skills and strategy.
Session 1: Starts & Underwaters
Session 2: Freestyle Technique
Session 3: Butterfly Technique
Session 4: Applied Speed & Race Strategy Execution
Session sizes are limited to no more than 20 participants to ensure the highest level learning experience and social distancing!
Your clinician for this camp will be Olympic gold medalist Roland Schoeman and Elite Clinician Hannah Ferrin. Scroll down for more details on the curriculum!
Session Times (Both Days):
AM Sessions (1 & 3): Check in 8:45 AM, Clinic 9:00 AM-11:00 AM
PM Sessions (2 & 4): Check in 12:30 PM, Clinic 12:45 PM-2:45 PM
Social Distancing: Fitter and Faster is following all guidelines as it relates to COVID-19 as set by the CDC, NIH and local authorities. This camp will not have more than 3 to 4 swimmers per lane (max 20 in each session). We also ask for you to please drop your swimmers off at the sign-in table and to pick your swimmers up after the clinic. If a waitlist is established, please join it. If enough people enter the waitlist we will plan for additional sessions! THANK YOU!
Roland and Hannah will lead four sessions for swimmers ages 10 and over. Sign up for one or SAVE by signing up for all four sessions!
SESSION 1: STARTS AND UNDERWATER DOLPHIN KICKING
The start is your swimmer’s opportunity to cover as much ground as possible in a very short period of time with great efficiency and momentum heading into the streamline and breakout. There are many intricacies to performing a start, and it will only improve with practice. Olympic gold medalist Roland Schoeman and Elite Clinician Hannah Ferrin have spent countless hours practicing starts and underwater dolphin kicking and will show your swimmer how to be explosive and efficient with each movement.
- STARTS: Your swimmer’s proper hand and foot placement on the block can allow them to drive forward with a lot of explosive power. Roland and Hannah will work with your swimmer to find the best position on the block as well as how to launch their body forward efficiently into a tight streamline and enter the water through a small hole.
- UNDERWATER DOLPHIN KICKING: The fastest swimmers know how to weaponize their dolphin kicking. It is absolutely, undeniably, the fastest way to move through the water! Whether you dolphin kick on your stomach, side, or back, understanding the importance of streamlined, underwater speed is vital for every swimmer!
SESSION 2: HIGH PERFORMANCE FREESTYLE TECHNIQUE
Freestyle is the stroke swam more than any other in races and practices. Creating and cultivating good habits now will not only make your swimmer faster but will also reduce the risk for injuries in the long term. Roland Schoeman and Hannah Ferrin will be in the water leading participants through a progression of freestyle drills. These will allow them to deepen their understanding of each part of the stroke and help create good habits for fast and efficient freestyle technique.
- BODYLINE: Your swimmer's freestyle will never be fast without a strong bodyline. Your swimmer will reinforce good posture and engage their core to have a strong foundation for a faster freestyle.
- ROTATION: Participants will learn to utilize their rotation to form more connection and power out of every pull and kick.
- KICK: Your swimmer will become a stronger and faster kicker through learning about both the technique and timing of each kick.
- PULL: The best swimmers in the world utilize an early vertical forearm to put immediate pressure back on the water. Roland and Hannah will also teach swimmers how to get maximum extension and a powerful finish to the stroke! Learn new drills and exercises to get more power from every stroke.
- BREATH: All swimmers know to keep one goggle in and one goggle out of the water when they take a breath, but the length and timing are also important! Roland and Hannah will show your swimmer how to make each breath more efficient for faster freestyle racing no matter what distance.
SESSION 3: HIGH PERFORMANCE BUTTERFLY TECHNIQUE
Olympic gold medalist Roland Schoeman and Elite Clinician Hannah Ferrin will work with participants to improve on the complexities of balancing power and fluid rhythm in one of the most dynamic athletic movements. Elite butterfliers maintain forward momentum by setting an immediate high catch with a perfectly timed kick. They are committed to a breathing pattern, perfecting their distance per stroke, and maintaining a horizontal body position - become committed to these same skills...make them YOUR habits.
- BODY POSITION: Elite butterfliers focus on driving their momentum forward with minimal drag by keeping their heads low and hips high. Participants will work with Roland and Hannah on establishing and maintaining the proper body position.
- KICK: Each butterfly stroke has two equally strong and well-timed kicks. Work on how and when to kick in fly for maximum speed.
- PULL: Long and smooth strokes will allow your swimmer to have a more efficient butterfly. Roland and Hannah will teach participants to get an early catch on the water for more power in each stroke.
- BREATH: The most common mistakes that swimmers make in fly occur during the breath. Swimmers will work on low and efficient breaths as well as WHEN to breathe so that they can swim more efficiently on the breath stroke.
SESSION 4: APPLIED SPEED & RACE STRATEGY EXECUTION
In the final session, swimmers will put together the skills they learned in the previous sessions to practice fast racing. Learning how to prioritize tempo vs. length and speed vs. efficiency can make a big difference in maximizing speed in shorter races or increasing endurance in longer races. Swimmers will put these skills to the test in workouts specifically designed to develop different racing plans and emphasize the technique and skills learned earlier in the camp.
- DISTANCE PER STROKE: One way to increase efficiency is to take fewer strokes. Counting the number of strokes and improving technique to decrease that number will save energy. On the other side, it may be faster to take more strokes per length, especially in shorter events.
- TEMPO: Your swimmer’s tempo is how fast or slow they complete each stroke. Having a slower tempo allows swimmers to conserve energy by taking fewer strokes, while a faster tempo is more tiring but much faster. Changing tempo based on event distance and fatigue level will help your swimmer swim as fast as possible.
- PACING: When racing, many swimmers will prioritize tempo over distance per stroke, which causes them to take a higher number of shorter strokes on each length. This is a very inefficient way to swim and can cause a swimmer to race much slower and fatigue quicker. At this session, Roland Schoeman and Hannah Ferrin will help participants refine their stroke count and tempo so that they can utilize their strengths to race faster in any distance!
Swimmers and parents are invited to ask Roland and Hannah questions during a Q&A session. Gain insight into their training regimen, diet and nutrition, and recovery tactics.
WATCH THE CLINICIANS
Observe Roland and Hannah swim at full speed and demonstrate a progression of perfectly executed drills to achieve powerful, efficient and fast swimming.
PUT YOUR SKILLS TO THE TEST
Swimmers will get to practice what they've learned by taking their stroke to top speed with two of the best swimmers in the world! They'll work on holding onto their form while challenging themselves.
Take a photo with Roland and Hannah, get autographs, and ALL PARTICIPANTS receive a FREE Fitter and Faster Collector’s Bag Tag for each day they are at the camp. Collect all 37 and trade with your friends!