Past Clinic: Comprehensive Starts Camp
Sat, Sep, 04 2021 - Sun, Sep, 05 2021
1400 W Northwest Hwy, Palatine, IL 60067
A description of what was covered at this past clinic is below the upcoming clinics.
Upcoming Swim Clinics and Camps
Within 250 miles of Palatine, IL.
Carver Swim CenterInfo
Fox Valley Swim TeamInfo
Hobart High SchoolInfo
Jenison High SchoolInfo
Crown Point High SchoolInfo
SEPTEMBER 4-5, 2021 Comprehensive Starts Camp –SAVE more by signing up for multiple sessions across multiple camps and/or for multiple swimmers!
This swim camp is designed for swimmers to maximize their speed and power during the fastest part of every race: the start! Session sizes are limited to no more than 24 participants to ensure the highest level learning experience!
Saturday, September 4: Swimmers will focus on explosive starts from the block and how to maintain that speed with underwater dolphin kicking into an explosive breakout.
Sunday, September 5: Swimmers will cover well-executed backstroke starts and precise relay exchanges.
Scroll down for more details on the curriculum!
This camp will be led by elite clinician and Olympian Elvis Burrows and elite clinician Bryar Long. Both swam at the highest level and are exceptional teachers with a talent for explaining and demonstrating the technique required for fast racing!
Session Times (All Sessions):
11 & Under: Check in 9 AM, Camp 9:15 AM-11:45 AM
12 & Over: Check in 12:30 PM, Clinic 12:45-3:45 PM
The clinicians will lead two sessions for both age groups. This camp is recommended for swimmers with at least one year of competitive swimming experience. Swimmers younger than 9 years old are not recommended without their coach’s approval.
DAY 1 (SATURDAY): STARTS & UNDERWATERS
The start is your swimmer’s opportunity to cover as much ground as possible in a very short period of time with great efficiency and momentum heading into the streamline and breakout. There are countless intricacies to performing a start, and it will only improve with practice. Elvis Burrows and Bryar Long have spent countless hours practicing starts and underwater dolphin kicking and will show your swimmer how to be explosive and efficient with each movement.
- STARTS: Your swimmer’s proper hand and foot placement on the block can allow them to drive forward with a lot of explosive power. Elvis and Bryar will work with your swimmer to find the best position on the block as well as how to launch their body forward efficiently into a tight streamline and enter the water through a small hole.
- UNDERWATER DOLPHIN KICKING: The fastest swimmers know how to weaponize their dolphin kicking. It is absolutely, undeniably, the fastest way to move through the water! Whether you dolphin kick on your stomach, side, or back, understanding the importance of streamlined, underwater speed is vital for every swimmer!
- BREAKOUTS: Many swimmers add movements in their breakout that create drag and destroy all of the momentum created during their underwater dolphin kicks. Your swimmer will work on staying streamlined and keeping their head down on the first stoke to accelerate into the first few strokes.
DAY 2 (SUNDAY): BACKSTROKE STARTS & RELAY EXCHANGES
Swimmers will build on the concepts learned on day one to further refine their starts specifically in backstroke and relay events. Backstroke starts can be difficult to master, but by focusing on correct hand and foot placement, a strong push off, and clean entry, participants will practice exploding off every start. Relays are some of the most fun events to swim and learning proper technique for relay exchanges will help your whole team!
- BACKSTROKE STARTS: Getting into the right ready position utilizing the backstroke ledge with a straight back, hips high on the surface of the water, and feet positioned to get maximum power is extremely important to being able to execute a fast and clean backstroke start. Elvis will work with swimmers at this session to achieve a beautiful back arch over the water so that they can have an advantage in every backstroke race!
- RELAY EXCHANGES: Both the swimmer finishing and the swimmer starting have a job to do when executing a proper relay exchange. Learning the proper technique for a well timed finish and an explosive relay dive is important in ensuring a legal but small reaction time and a fast exchange.
- FINISHES: Races can be won or lost by hundredths of a second, and many races come down to the last few strokes. Swimmers will reinforce their kick to accelerate into the wall, time their stroke for a perfect arm extension, and keep their head down to out touch the competition.
Swimmers and parents are invited to ask their clinicians questions during a Q&A session. Gain insight into their training regimen, diet and nutrition, and recovery tactics.
WATCH THE CLINICIANS
Observe your clinicians swim at full speed and demonstrate a progression of perfectly executed drills to achieve powerful, efficient and fast swimming.
PUT YOUR SKILLS TO THE TEST
Swimmers will get to practice what they've learned by taking their stroke to your top speed with some of the best swimmers and coaches in the world! They'll work on holding onto their form while challenging themselves.
Take a photo with the clinicians, get autographs, and ALL PARTICIPANTS receive a FREE Fitter and Faster Swim Cap!