El Paso, TX
High Performance Stroke Technique
Sat, Jun, 01 2019 - Sun, Jun, 02 2019
650 Wallenberg Dr., El Paso, TX 79912
Two-Day High Performance Stroke Technique Swim Camp – Sign up for one or SAVE by signing up for both days!
This camp will have four sessions, two for each age group covering all four competitive strokes. On Saturday, participants will learn technique to improve speed and efficiency in the “short axis” strokes, butterfly and breaststroke. Then on Sunday, participants will focus on drills to improve the “long axis” strokes of freestyle and backstroke.
This clinic will be led by Olympic medalist Kristy Kowal! Kristy had a stellar NCAA and International swimming career, earning medals at the World Championships and the Sydney Olympic Games. Also leading each session is Olympian Luis Martinez! Both of these clinicians have attention to detail and eye for perfect technique will make your participant a faster and more efficient swimmer! Scroll down for more details on the curriculum.
Session Times (Both Days)
Ages 11 and Under: Check in 9:00 AM, Clinic 9:30 AM-11:30 AM
Ages 12 and Older: Check in 12:30 PM, Clinic 1:00 PM-3:30 PM
SAVE: Sign up before prices rise or the sessions fill up!
Kristy and Luis will lead four sessions for competitive swimmers, two for each age group. This camp is designed for swimmers with at least one year of competitive experience and is not recommended for swimmers younger than 8 years old without their coach’s suggestion.
DAY 1 (SATURDAY): BUTTERFLY, BREASTSTROKE, AND FINISHES
Butterfly and breaststroke are called the “short axis” strokes because swimmers undulate at their hips, giving the strokes their distinct up and down motion. These strokes share many other technical attributes, and can be challenging strokes to master due to the importance of rhythm and timing. Working on these two strokes together will deepen a swimmer’s understanding of the technique required to swim with more efficiency and speed.
- BUTTERFLY: Perfect the complexities of balancing power and fluid rhythm in one of the most dynamic athletic strokes. Elite butterfliers maintain forward momentum by setting an immediate high catch with a perfectly timed kick. They are committed to a breathing pattern, perfecting their distance per stroke, and maintaining a horizontal body position. Kristy will help your swimmer become committed to these same skills to create better habits every time they swim butterfly!
- BREASTSTROKE: Your swimmer will begin with a strong understanding of the timing of the kick and pull and begin to utilize the same strategies world class breaststrokers use to minimize their footprint in the water. Participants will learn the skills of swimming in a horizontal plane, keeping the hips high throughout the entire cycle and utilizing a small but powerful kick while generating power forward with their recovery.
- FINISHES: Races can be won or lost by hundredths of a second, and many races come down to the last few strokes. Your swimmer will learn how to use their kick to accelerate into the wall, time their stroke for a perfect arm extension, and keep their head down so they don’t waste any time or strokes as they approach the wall.
DAY 2 (SUNDAY): FREESTYLE, BACKSTROKE, AND FINISHES
Freestyle and backstroke are called the “long axis” strokes because swimmers rotate along the axis that goes through the middle of the body all the way from the head to the toes. Freestyle and backstroke utilize the same kick, body position, posture, rotation, and an early catch; master these complex skills to become a faster and more powerful swimmer! Olympian Kristy Kowal will cover drills and skills to break down these strokes into easy-to-understand movements that will come together for a faster, stronger, and more efficient stroke technique.
- FREESTYLE: Participants will reinforce holding a straight and solid body line so that they can cut through the water with less drag. Practice keeping a still and low head position (especially during the breath!) while driving a strong flutter kick. Kristy will also teach participants how to get an early and powerful press backwards on the water in the arm pull to get more out of every stroke. From the 50 to the mile, your swimmer will learn skills that will allow them to drop time in every freestyle race.
- BACKSTROKE: Engaging your core not only allows swimmers to swim stronger, but it also allows them to hold the proper body position. Kristy will help participants learn the importance of rotation and how to use it to their advantage for more power in each stroke. The arm pull in backstroke should press the water all the way through using the whole arm to achieve maximum propulsion. Backstrokers are often the fastest kickers on their teams, find out why and learn to have a stronger kick!
- FINISHES: Participants will learn to time their strokes to hit the wall with arm outstretched and a strong kick. In freestyle finishes, swimmers will work to keep their head down and rotate onto their side for a longer reach. In backstroke, swimmers will lunge at the wall while executing a powerful dolphin kick as they reach back. A proper finishes will make a big difference in your swimmer's times!
Swimmers and parents are invited to ask Kristy questions during a Q&A session. Gain insight into her training regimen, diet and nutrition, and recovery tactics.
WATCH THE CLINICIAN
Observe Kristy swim at full speed and demonstrate a progression of perfectly executed drills to achieve powerful, efficient, and fast swimming.
PUT YOUR SKILLS TO THE TEST
Swimmers will get to practice what they've learned by taking their stroke to top speed with one of the best swimmers and coaches in the world! They'll work on holding onto their form while challenging themselves.
Take a photo with Kristy, get autographs, and a gift from our sponsors!