Haven Beach, NJ
High Performance Starts, Turns, and Freestyle Camp
Mon, Jun, 28 2021 - Wed, Jun, 30 2021
Haven Beach Club (Outdoor)
1 West Kentucky Ave., Haven Beach, NJ 08008
JUNE 28-30, 2021
High Performance Starts, Turns, and Freestyle Camp –SAVE more by signing up for multiple sessions across multiple camps and/or for multiple swimmers!
This 3-day swim camp is designed to focus on powerful, efficient, and explosive movements for a swimmer’s starts, turns & freestyle! Day 1 will focus on Starts and underwaters. Day 2, swimmers will work on freestyle technique. Day 3 participants will work on their turns and finishes.
This camp will be led by Elite Clinician and Olympian Brett Hawke and National Champion Austin Surhoff!
Session sizes are limited to no more than 24 participants to ensure the highest level learning experience!
Session Times (All Days):
11 & Under: Check in 12:45 PM, Clinic 1-3:30 PM
12 & Over: Check in 4:15 PM, Clinic 4:30-7 PM
Scroll down for more details on curriculum!
Brett will lead three sessions for each age group. This camp is recommended for swimmers with at least one year of competitive swimming experience. Swimmers younger than 9 years old are not recommended without their coach’s approval.
DAY 1 (MONDAY): STARTS & UNDERWATERS
The start sets up a swimmers race. The more power off the block the better! There are countless intricacies to performing an explosive start, followed by an efficient and dominating underwater pullout into an explosive breakout. Brett Hawke and Austin Surhoff have spent countless hours coaching these skills and will work with swimmers on how to be explosive and efficient with each movement.
- STARTS: Brett and Austin will work with swimmers to find their best position on the block as well as how to powerfully launch off into a tight streamline. Swimmers will also discover their optimal reaction time to get off the blocks fast and ahead of their competition.
- UNDERWATER DOLPHIN KICKING: The fastest swimmers know how to weaponize their underwater. It's the fastest way to move through the water! Understanding the importance of streamlined underwater speed is vital for every level of swimmer.
- BREAKOUTS: Many swimmers add movement within their breakout that creates drag and destroys all of the power created during their underwaters. Swimmers will work on timing their breakouts to accelerate into the lap.
DAY 2 (TUESDAY): HIGH PERFORMANCE FREESTYLE TECHNIQUE
Creating and cultivating good habits will not only make swimmers faster but will also reduce the risk for injuries in the long term. Brett Hawke and Austin Surhoff will be on deck leading participants through a progression of freestyle drills. These skills will allow them to deepen their understanding of each part of the stroke and help create good habits for fast and efficient freestyle technique.
- BODYLINE: Swimmer’s freestyle will never be fast without a strong bodyline. Participants will reinforce good posture and engage their core to have a strong foundation for a faster freestyle.
- ROTATION: Participants will learn to utilize their rotation to form more connection and power out of every pull and kick.
- KICK: A fast kick is the motor behind a swimmer's stroke! Participants will polish up their kicking to become stronger and faster through learning about both the technique and timing of each kick.
- PULL: The best swimmers in the world utilize an early vertical forearm to put immediate pressure back on the water. Joao will work with swimmers on how to get the maximum extension and a powerful finish to the stroke!
- BREATH: Timing is everything! Brett and Austin will work with the participants on how to make each breath more efficient for faster freestyle racing no matter what distance.
DAY 3 (WEDNESDAY): TURNS & FINISHES
Focusing on having faster turns is an easy way to drop time and win close races. Elite swimmers maintain their momentum through a quick turn and powerfully push off every wall. Olympian Brett Hawke and Austin Surhoff will lead participants through a series of drills to have compact, fast turns in any race.
- FLIP TURNS: Swimmers will identify and work on what techniques carry their momentum through the turn to get in and out of every wall faster. Participants will also practice accelerating into the wall, using their core and arms to get through the turn, and planting the feet on the wall for a powerful push off in the perfect streamline.
- OPEN TURNS: Swimmers should not just go through the motions of an open turn; if they’re doing this, they are actually stopping and then trying to regain speed. An expertly executed open turn involves carrying momentum from one lap into the next. Swimmers will work with Brett to nail an efficient and quick open turn.
- FINISHES: Races can be won or lost by hundredths of a second, and many races come down to the last few strokes. Swimmers will reinforce their kick to accelerate into the wall, time their stroke for a perfect arm extension, and keep their head down to out touch the competition.
Swimmers and parents are invited to ask Brett and Tyler questions during a Q&A session. Gain insight into his training regimen, diet and nutrition, and recovery tactics.
Learn the same drills that Brett and Tyler teaches his swimmers to achieve fast and efficient techniques. Then get the chance to practice and get feedback from an Olympic coach!
PUT YOUR SKILLS TO THE TEST
Swimmers will get to practice what they've learned by taking their stroke to top speed with one of the best swimmers in the world! They'll work on holding onto their form while challenging themselves.
Take a photo with Brett, get autographs, and ALL PARTICIPANTS receive a FREE Fitter and Faster Swim Cap.