New Berlin, WI
High Performance Starts and Turns
Sat, Apr, 13 2019 - Sun, Apr, 14 2019
Eisenhower Middle-High School
4333 South Sunny Slope Road, New Berlin, WI 53151
Two-Day Swim Camp – the fastest parts of every race.
Did you know the fastest parts of every race are the start and turns? Even at the most elite level of the sport, the best athletes in the world are constantly looking to generate more momentum with their start and turn. At this high performance swim camp, participants will learn to get much more speed from on starts on Saturday and turns on Sunday.
Your clinician for this camp will be three-time Olympian Klete Keller! Klete is one of Fitter and Faster’s most veteran clinicians. Your swimmer has so much to learn from Klete! Scroll down for more details on the curriculum!
SAVE: Sign up before prices rise or the sessions fill up!
Klete will be in the water leading 4 sessions. There are two sessions for competitive swimmers ages 11 and under and 12 and up. SAVE: Sign up before prices increase or the sessions fill up.
SESSION 1 & 2 (SATURDAY): STARTS, RELAY EXCHANGES, AND UNDERWATER DOLPHIN KICKING
The start is your opportunity to cover as much ground as possible in a very short period of time, with great efficiency and momentum heading into your underwater kicking and breakout. There are countless intricacies to performing a start and you only get better with practice. Olympic gold medalist Klete Keller will share his experiences on how he found time to practice and improve his start both in and out of the water and teach your swimmer some of his most effective strategies to execute this explosive and athletic movement.
- STARTS: How you set up on the block including proper hand and foot placement can allow your swimmer to drive forward with a lot of explosive power. Klete will work with each swimmer to find their best position on the block as well as how to launch their body forward efficiently into a tight streamline and enter through a small hole.
- RELAY EXCHANGES: Klete is known as one of the greatest relay swimmers of all time! He knows that both the swimmer finishing and the swimmer starting have a job to do when executing a proper relay exchange. Learning the proper technique for a well timed finish and an explosive relay dive is important in ensuring a legal but small exchange time and a fast exchange.
- UNDERWATER DOLPHIN KICKING: The not-so-secret weapon of elite level swimmers is their underwater dolphin kick. Klete is known as one of the best underwater dolphin kickers in the world and he specializes in teaching swimmers how to unlock their potential in this important skill.
SESSIONS 3 & 4 (Sunday): FLIP TURNS, OPEN TURNS, AND FINISHES
Races are often won and lost because of the quality of turns and finishes of the competitors. Many people don't realize this, but the push-off and streamline from the wall after a turn SHOULD BE the fastest a swimmer will go while in the water other than the streamline after a dive. Even elite level, swimmers often add in extra movements on their turns and finishes that slow them down and even cause them to lose races that they could have won. At these sessions, Olympic gold medalist Klete Keller will work with each participant to maintain their momentum at these key points in a race.
- FLIP TURNS: Your swimmer will learn how to carry their momentum through the turn to get in and out of every wall faster. Swimmers will practice accelerating into the wall with long strokes and then using their core and arms to get through the turn. They'll practice planting their feet on the wall for a powerful pushoff in the perfect streamline. Nick and Lacey will give the swimmers drills and exercises to help them master this athletic skill now as well as in the future!
- OPEN TURNS: Think about the open turn differently! You should not be making an open to turn around and swim the next lap. If you're doing this - you're actually stopping and then trying to regain speed again. An expertly executed open turn involves spinning backwards. This enables you to carry momentum into the pushoff. We're going to teach you how to cut a lot of time on this turn... helping you in all of your breaststroke and butterfly races!
- FINISHES: Races can be won and lost by hundredths of a second. Many races come down to the very last stroke. Your swimmer will learn how to drive their legs, elongate their arms, and keep their head down so that your swimmer doesn't waste any time or strokes as they approach the wall.
Swimmers and parents are invited to ask Klete questions during a Q&A session. Gain insight into his training regimen, diet and nutrition, and recovery tactics.
WATCH THE CLINICIAN
Observe Klete swim at full speed and demonstrate a progression of perfectly executed drills to achieve powerful, efficient and fast swimming.
PUT YOUR SKILLS TO THE TEST
Swimmers will get to practice what they've learned by taking their stroke to top speed with one of the best swimmers in the world! They'll work on holding onto their form while challenging themselves.
Take a photo while wearing Klete's medals, get autographs, and a gift from TYR Sport!