Past Clinic: High Performance Sprint Freestyle Racing Camp
Sat, Sep, 07 2019 - Sun, Sep, 08 2019
Blairwood Tennis, Swim & Fitness Club
9300 Blairwood Rd., Louisville, KY 40222
A description of what was covered at this past clinic is below the upcoming clinics.
Upcoming Swim Clinics and Camps
Within 250 miles of Louisville, KY.
Greenbrier Pool (Outdoor)Info
Azionaqua Swim Club (Outdoor)Info
Cole Center Family YMCAInfo
Northland Swim Club (Outdoor)Info
West Lafayette High SchoolInfo
Blairwood Tennis, Swim & Fitness ClubInfo
NKU Campus Recreation CenterInfo
Hobart High SchoolInfo
Union County Family YMCAInfo
Crown Point High SchoolInfo
High Performance Sprint Freestyle Racing Camp – Sign up for one or SAVE by signing up for both days!
This camp is all about being a faster and more efficient sprint freestyler! Saturday will focus on the fundamentals for a strong freestyle stroke. Then on Saturday, participants will learn how that technique changes during sprint races, as well explosive breakouts and well-timed finishes. Both of these sessions will work on elite level sprint freestyle technique.
This clinic will be led by two-time Olympian Bruno Fratus and Elite Clinician Marina Spadoni! They will share their technical expertise as well as stories of hard work and dedication with all participants. Scroll down for more details on the curriculum.
Session Times (Both Days)
11 & Under: Check in 9:15 AM, Clinic 9:30 AM-12:00 PM
12 & Over: Check in 1:15 PM, Clinic 1:30 PM-4:30 PM
SAVE: Sign up before prices rise or the sessions fill up!
Bruno and Marina will lead four sessions – two for each age group. This camp is designed swimmers with at least one year of competition experience and is not recommended for swimmers younger than 8 years old.
DAY 1 (SATURDAY): FREESTYLE TECHNIQUE AND DRILLS
Freestyle is the stroke swam more than any other in races and practices. Creating and cultivating good habits now will not only make your swimmer faster but will also reduce the risk for injuries in the long term. Bruno Fratus and Marina Spadoni will be in the water leading participants through a progression of freestyle drills. These will allow them to deepen their understanding of each part of the stroke and help create good habits for fast and efficient freestyle technique.
- BODYLINE: Your swimmer's freestyle will never be fast without a strong bodyline. Your swimmer will reinforce good posture and engage their core to have a strong foundation for a faster freestyle.
- ROTATION: Participants will learn to utilize their rotation to form more connection and power out of every pull and kick.
- KICK: Your swimmer will become a stronger and faster kicker through learning about both the technique and timing of each kick.
- PULL: The best swimmers in the world utilize an early vertical forearm to put immediate pressure back on the water. Bruno and Marina will also teach swimmers how to get maximum extension and a powerful finish to the stroke! Learn new drills and exercises to get more power from every stroke.
- BREATH: All swimmers know to keep one goggle in and one goggle out of the water when they take a breath, but do they know when and how long to breathe? Bruno will show your swimmer how to make each breath more efficient for faster freestyle racing no matter what distance.
DAY 2 (SUNDAY): FREESTYLE SPRINTING, BREAKOUTS & FINISHES
Did you know that a swimmer's technique should vary slightly depending on the distance their swimming? The arm pull, breathing timing, and rotation style will be different in the 50 than they are in the mile. In this session, your swimmer will work with one of the fastest sprinters in history to find ways to be more explosive in their freestyle technique and sprint faster in their shorter races!
- SPRINTING: Sprinting is all about swimming with “controlled aggression!” Bruno Fratus and Marina Spadoni will demonstrate how to swim with power, while also being relaxed - having too much tension will make your swimmer slip in the water and slow down. Swimmers will observe how to tweak their strokes to make them quick yet efficient - increasing tempo, shortening the breath, and a strong connected kick will lead to an explosive 50!
- BREAKOUTS: Many swimmers add movements in their breakout that create drag and destroy all of the momentum created during their underwater dolphin kicks. Your swimmer will work on staying streamlined and keeping their head down on the first stoke to accelerate into the first few strokes.
- FINISHES: Races can be won or lost by hundredths of a second, and many races come down to the last few strokes. Your swimmer will learn how to use their kick to accelerate into the wall, time their stroke for a perfect arm extension, and keep their head down so they don’t waste any time or strokes as they approach the wall.
Swimmers and parents are invited to ask Bruno and Marina questions during a Q&A session. Gain insight into their training regimen, diet and nutrition, and recovery tactics.
WATCH THE CLINICIAN
Observe Bruno and Marina swim at full speed and demonstrate a progression of perfectly executed drills to achieve powerful, efficient and fast swimming.
PUT YOUR SKILLS TO THE TEST
Swimmers will get to practice what they've learned by taking their stroke to top speed! They'll work on holding onto their form while challenging themselves.
Take a photo with Bruno and Marina, get autographs, and ALL PARTICIPANTS receive a FREE Fitter and Faster Collector’s Bag Tag for each day they are at the camp. Collect all 37 and trade with your friends!