Past Clinic: High Performance Racing Swim Camp
Fri, Aug, 09 2019 - Sun, Aug, 11 2019
McKendree Metro Rec Plex
205 Rec Plex Drive, O’Fallon, IL 62269
A description of what was covered at this past clinic is below the upcoming clinics.
Upcoming Swim Clinics and Camps
Within 250 miles of O’Fallon, IL.
Munster High SchoolInfo
Blairwood Tennis, Swim & Fitness ClubInfo
Smith Family YMCAInfo
Richard E. Workman Sports & Wellness ComplexInfo
Three-Day High Performance Racing Swim Camp – Sign up for individual sessions or SAVE by signing up for the whole camp!
Over three days, Olympic gold medalist and Elite Clinician Clark Smith AND SEC Champion Joey Reilman will be leading swimmers through drills and instructions specifically designed to enhance their technique and improve their racing. On Friday, Clark and Joey will cover starts and underwater dolphin kicking. Saturday’s instruction includes flip turns, breakouts, and finishes. Sunday will focus on freestyle swimming, specifically the many differences between distance swimming and sprinting. Clark and Joey are BOTH known for their detailed technical knowledge and is exceptional at teaching swimmers of all ages and abilities.
There will be no more than 4 swimmers per lane – Scroll down for more details on the curriculum.
Session Times (All Days):
11 & Under: Check in 9:00 AM, Clinic 9:30 AM-11:30 AM
12 & Over: Check in 12:30 PM, Clinic 1:00 PM-3:30 PM
SAVE: Sign up before prices rise or the sessions fill up!
Clark and Joey will lead six sessions, two for each age group: 11 & under and 12 & over. This camp is recommended for swimmers with at least one year of competitive swimming experience. Swimmers younger than 8 years old are not recommended without their coach’s permission. Sign up for one or SAVE by signing up for all three sessions!
DAY 1 (FRIDAY): STARTS AND UNDERWATER DOLPHIN KICKING
The start is your swimmer’s opportunity to cover as much ground as possible in a very short period of time with great efficiency and momentum heading into the streamline and breakout. There are countless intricacies to performing a start, and it will only improve with practice. Clark has spent countless hours practicing starts and underwater dolphin kicking and will show your swimmer how to be explosive and efficient with each movement.
- STARTS: Your swimmer’s proper hand and foot placement on the block can allow them to drive forward with a lot of explosive power. Clark will work with your swimmer to find the best position on the block as well as how to launch their body forward efficiently into a tight streamline and enter the water through a small hole.
- UNDERWATER DOLPHIN KICKING: The fastest swimmers know how to weaponize their dolphin kicking. It is absolutely, undeniably, the fastest way to move through the water! Whether you dolphin kick on your stomach, side, or back, understanding the importance of streamlined, underwater speed is vital for every swimmer!
DAY 2 (SATURDAY): FLIP TURNS, BREAKOUTS, AND FINISHES
Focusing on having faster turns and a well-timed finish is an easy way to drop time and win close races. Elite swimmers maintain their momentum through a quick turn and have a powerful push off every wall. Clark will lead participants through a series of drills to have compact, fast turns in any race. It’s easy for swimmers to have lazy turns when they are tired, but by learning the correct technique and practicing daily, your swimmer can gain speed on each turn.
- FLIP TURNS: Your swimmer will learn to carry their momentum through the turn to get in and out of every wall faster. Swimmers will practice accelerating into the wall, using their core and arms to get through the turn, and planting the feet on the wall for a powerful push off in the perfect streamline. Swimmers will learn drills and exercises to help them master this athletic skill!
- BREAKOUTS: Many swimmers add movements in their breakout that create drag and destroy all of the momentum created during their underwater dolphin kicks. Your swimmer will work on staying streamlined and keeping their head down on the first stoke to accelerate into the first few strokes.
- FINISHES: Races can be won or lost by hundredths of a second, and many races come down to the last few strokes. Your swimmer will learn how to use their kick to accelerate into the wall, time their stroke for a perfect arm extension, and keep their head down so they don’t waste any time or strokes as they approach the wall.
DAY 3 (SUNDAY): DRILLS AND STROKE FOR DISTANCE VS. SPRINT FREESTYLE
Did you know that the technique for swimming a fast freestyle changes depending on the distance? Learning how to prioritize tempo vs. length and speed vs. efficiency can make a big difference in maximizing speed in shorter races or increasing endurance in longer races.
- PULL: Both distance and sprint freestyle strokes should have a long extension and powerful finish, but finding the sweet spot for the right tempo for your swimmer can be difficult. Learn from Clark Smith tips and tricks to get more power out of every arm pull while also achieving the tempo that will help them drop time.
- KICK: The technique AND the timing in the freestyle kick is so important! In every race, the kick must connect to the rest of the stroke! Learn how to maximize the speed of every kick.
- ROTATION: What is the driving force behind rotaiton, hips or shoulders? The answer depends on the race you're swimming! Learn when to have a hip driven rotation and when to have a shoulder driven rotation so that your swimmer can race a faster freestyle no matter what distance.
- BREATH: Both the technique and timing of the breath can have a big impact on a swimmer's freestyle speed. Your swimmer will learn how to maintain a quick and low breath to maintain momentum during the breath stroke. Clark Smith will also work with each swimmer to learn about the right number of breaths in each race!
- DISTANCE PER STROKE: Does your swimmer count their strokes? They should! Knowing how many strokes that they take each lap in every strokes is important to knowing how far each stroke takes them so that they can work on improving their length. Olympic gold medalist Clark Smith will work with each swimmer to find ways to get more power and length out of every stroke to improve their DPS and DROP TIME!
Swimmers and parents are invited to ask Clark questions during a Q&A session. Gain insight into his training regimen, diet and nutrition, and recovery tactics.
WATCH THE CLINICIAN
Observe Clark swim at full speed and demonstrate a progression of perfectly executed drills to achieve powerful, efficient, and fast swimming.
PUT YOUR SKILLS TO THE TEST
Swimmers will get to practice what they've learned by taking their stroke to top speed with one of the best swimmers in the world! They'll work on holding onto their form while challenging themselves.
Take a photo with Clark, get autographs, and a gift from our sponsors!