Past Clinic: High Performance Racing Swim Camp – Greenwich, CT
Tue, Aug, 06 2019 - Thu, Aug, 08 2019
YMCA of Greenwich
50 E. Putnam Ave., Greenwich, CT 06830
A description of what was covered at this past clinic is below the upcoming clinics.
Upcoming Swim Clinics and Camps
Within 250 miles of Greenwich, CT.
Penfield High School PoolInfo
Charles River AquaticsInfo
Yorktown High SchoolInfo
Simon and Sara Birnbaum JCCInfo
Canajoharie Nellis PoolInfo
The St. James Sports, Wellness and Entertainment ComplexInfo
Yorktown High SchoolInfo
Shaker High SchoolInfo
Three-Day High Performance Racing Swim Camp – Sign up for individual sessions or SAVE by signing up for the whole camp!
Over three days, participants will learn drills and exercises specifically designed to enhance their technique and improve their racing. On Tuesday, swimmers will cover starts and underwater dolphin kicking. Wednesday’s instruction includes flip turns, breakouts, and finishes. On Thursday, swimmers will fine-tune their freestyle technique, focusing on having proper body position and rotation for a well-connected freestyle stroke.
Leading each session of this camp is Elite Clinician and Olympic medalist Kim Vandenberg and OSU All-American Brad Shannon! Kim and Brad are both very knowledgeable and enthusiastic clinicians with the ability to relate with swimmers of all abilities. Scroll down for more details on the curriculum.
Session Times (All Days):
11 & Under: Check in 10:00 AM, Clinic 10:30 AM-1:00 PM
12 & Over: Check in 1:30 PM, Clinic 2:00 PM-5:00 PM
SAVE: Sign up before prices rise or the sessions fill up!
Kim and Brad will lead six sessions, two for each age group: 11 & under and 12 & over. This camp is recommended for swimmers with at least one year of competitive swimming experience. Swimmers younger than 8 years old are not recommended without their coach’s permission.
DAY 1 (TUESDAY): STARTS AND UNDERWATER DOLPHIN KICKING
The start is your swimmer’s opportunity to cover as much ground as possible in a very short period of time with great efficiency and momentum heading into the streamline and breakout. There are countless intricacies to performing a start, and it will only improve with practice. Kim Vandenberg and Brad Shannon have spent countless hours practicing starts and underwater dolphin kicking and will show your swimmer how to be explosive and efficient with each movement.
- STARTS: Your swimmer’s proper hand and foot placement on the block can allow them to drive forward with a lot of explosive power. Your clinicians will work with your swimmer to find the best position on the block as well as how to launch their body forward efficiently into a tight streamline and enter the water through a small hole.
- UNDERWATER DOLPHIN KICKING: The fastest swimmers know how to weaponize their dolphin kicking. It is absolutely, undeniably, the fastest way to move through the water! Whether you dolphin kick on your stomach, side, or back, understanding the importance of streamlined, underwater speed is vital for every swimmer!
DAY 2 (WEDNESDAY): FLIP TURNS, BREAKOUTS, AND FINISHES
Focusing on having faster turns and a well-timed finish is an easy way to drop time and win close races. Elite swimmers maintain their momentum through a quick turn and have a powerful push off every wall. Olympic medalist Kim Vandenberg and All-American Brad Shannon will lead participants through a series of drills to have compact, fast turns in any race. It’s easy for swimmers to have lazy turns when they are tired, but by learning the correct technique and practicing daily, your swimmer can gain speed on each turn.
- FLIP TURNS: Your swimmer will learn to carry their momentum through the turn to get in and out of every wall faster. Swimmers will practice accelerating into the wall, using their core and arms to get through the turn, and planting the feet on the wall for a powerful push off in the perfect streamline. Swimmers will learn drills and exercises to help them master this athletic skill!
- BREAKOUTS: Many swimmers add movements in their breakout that create drag and destroy all of the momentum created during their underwater dolphin kicks. Your swimmer will work on staying streamlined and keeping their head down on the first stoke to accelerate into the first few strokes.
- FINISHES: Races can be won or lost by hundredths of a second, and many races come down to the last few strokes. Your swimmer will learn how to use their kick to accelerate into the wall, time their stroke for a perfect arm extension, and keep their head down so they don’t waste any time or strokes as they approach the wall.
DAY 3 (THURSDAY): ELITE FREESTYLE TECHNIQUE
Freestyle is the stroke swam more than any other in races and practices. Creating and cultivating good habits now will not only make your swimmer faster but will also reduce the risk for injuries in the long term. Your clinicians will lead participants through a progression of drills that will allow them to deepen their understanding of each part of the freestyle stroke and help create good habits for fast and efficient freestyle technique.
- BODYLINE: Your swimmer's freestyle will never be fast without a strong bodyline. Your swimmer will reinforce good posture and engage their core to have a strong foundation for a faster freestyle.
- ROTATION: Participants will learn to utilize their rotation to form more connection and power out of every pull and kick.
- KICK: Your swimmer will become a stronger and faster kicker through learning about both the technique and timing of each kick.
- PULL: The best swimmers in the world utilize an early vertical forearm to put immediate pressure back on the water. Kim and Brad will also teach swimmers how to get maximum extension and a powerful finish to the stroke! Learn new drills and exercises to get more power from every stroke.
- BREATH: All swimmers know to keep one goggle in and one goggle out of the water when they take a breath, but do they know when and how long to breathe? The Elite Clinicians will show your swimmer how to make each breath more efficient for faster freestyle racing no matter what distance.
Swimmers and parents are invited to ask Kim and Brad questions during a Q&A session. Gain insight into their training regimen, diet and nutrition, and recovery tactics.
WATCH THE CLINICIAN
Observe Kim and Brad swim at full speed and demonstrate a progression of perfectly executed drills to achieve powerful, efficient, and fast swimming.
PUT YOUR SKILLS TO THE TEST
Swimmers will get to practice what they've learned by taking their stroke to top speed with two of the best swimmers in the world! They'll work on holding onto their form while challenging themselves.
Take a photo with Kim and Brad, get autographs, and ALL PARTICIPANTS receive a FREE Fitter and Faster Collector’s Bag Tag for each day they are at the camp. Collect all 37 and trade with your friends!