Past Clinic: High Performance Racing Camp
Sat, May, 18 2019 - Sun, May, 19 2019
Town of Superior North Pool
1650 South Indiana St, Superior, CO 80027
A description of what was covered at this past clinic is below the upcoming clinics.
Upcoming Swim Clinics and Camps
Within 250 miles of Superior, CO.
Avon Recreation CenterInfo
Two-Day High Performance Swim Camp – Sign up for one or SAVE by signing up for both days of this swim camp.
Did you know that the fastest that your swimmer is ever moving in a race is after the start? At this swim camp there will be two sessions on Saturday focused on starts, underwater dolphin kicking, and finishes. Then on Sunday, participants will work on technique for faster breaststroke and butterfly racing.
Leading each session will be Olympian Glenn Snyders and National Champion and World Record Holder Ali DeLoof. Scroll down to read more about the curriculum.
SAVE: Sign up before prices increase or the sessions fill up!
Ali and Glenn will lead four sessions, two for each age group, for swimmers with at least one year of competitive experience. Swimmers younger than 9 years old are not recommended for these clinics without your coach’s suggestion.
Day 1: Starts, Underwater Dolphin Kicking, and Finishes
The start is your opportunity to cover as much ground as possible in a very short period of time, with great efficiency and momentum heading into your underwater kicking and breakout. There are countless intricacies to performing a start and you only get better with practice. Ali DeLoof and Glenn Snyders will share their experiences on how they found time to practice and improve their starts both in and out of the water and teach your swimmer some of their most effective strategies to execute this explosive and athletic movement.
- Starts: How you set up on the block including proper hand and foot placement can allow your swimmer to drive forward with a lot of explosive power. Ali and Glenn will work with each swimmer to find their best position on the block as well as how to launch their body forward efficiently into a tight streamline and enter through a small hole.
- Underwater Dolphin Kicking: The not-so-secret weapon of elite level swimmers is their underwater dolphin kick. Ali is known as one of the best underwater dolphin kickers in the world and she specializes in teaching swimmers how to unlock their potential in this important skill.
- Finishes: Races can be won and lost by hundredths of a second. Many races come down to the very last stroke. Your swimmer will learn how to drive their legs, elongate their arms, and keep their head down so that your swimmer doesn't waste any time or strokes as they approach the wall.
Day 2: Butterfly and Breaststroke
Often called the short axis strokes, butterfly and breaststroke have many common attributes in their technique. Both can be challenging strokes to master due to the importance of rhythm and timing. Working on these two strokes together can deepen a swimmer's understanding of the technique required to swim with more efficiency and speed. On the second day of this swim camp, swimmers ages 11 & under will work on skills and drills for a faster butterfly and breaststroke. Swimmers ages 12 & older will focus more on advanced technique and racing strategy.
- Butterfly: Perfect the complexities of balancing power and fluid rhythm in one of the most dynamic athletic strokes. Elite butterfliers maintain forward momentum by setting an immediate high catch with a perfectly timed kick. They are committed to a breathing pattern, perfecting their distance per stroke, and maintaining a horizontal body position - Ali and Glenn will help your swimmer become committed to these same skills to create better habits every time they swim fly!
- Breaststroke: Your swimmer will begin be refining and perfecting their timing of the kick and pull and begin to utilize the same strategies world class breaststrokers use to minimize their footprint in the water. Participants will learn the skills of swimming in a horizontal plane, keeping the hips high throughout the entire cycle and utilizing a small but powerful kick while generating power forward with their recovery. Older swimmers will work to find their right balance of tempo and stroke length to become a smarter and more efficient racer.
Swimmers and parents are invited to ask Ali and Glenn questions during a Q&A session. Gain insight into their training regimen, diet and nutrition, and recovery tactics.
WATCH THE CLINICIAN
Observe Ali and Glenn swim at full speed and demonstrate a progression of perfectly executed drills to achieve powerful, efficient and fast swimming.
PUT YOUR SKILLS TO THE TEST
Swimmers will get to practice what they've learned by taking their stroke to top speed with two of the best swimmers in the world! They'll work on holding onto their form while challenging themselves.
Take a photo while wearing Ali and Glenn's medals, get autographs, and receive a free gift!