High Performance & Race Strategy Camp Series
Sat, Oct, 23 2021 - Sun, Oct, 24 2021
Cherokee County Aquatic Center
1200 Wellstar Way, Canton, GA 30114
October 23-24, 2021: Race Strategy – 100s & 200s Camp – Sign up for individual sessions or SAVE when you purchase a Bundle!
This swim camp is all about improving race strategies for 100’s & 200’s in ANY STROKE! By working on technique, pacing, and tempo, swimmers can take their racing to the next level and outswim their competition! Session sizes are limited to no more than 24 participants to ensure the highest level learning experience! This camp will be led by Olympic Gold Medalist Tyler Clary!
Saturday, October 23: Swimming a fast 200
Sunday, October 24: Swimming a fast 100
Session Times (All Days):
Group B: Check in 8:45 AM, Clinic 9-11:30 AM
Group A: Check in 12:15 PM, Clinic 12:30-3:30 PM
Scroll down for more details on curriculum!
October 23-24: Race Strategy Camp: 100’s & 200’s
October 23: Groups will be based on your swimmer’s 200 yd freestyle time
– Group A: 200 yd Freestyle – 2:21 and faster
– Group B: 200 yd Freestyle – 2:22 and over
October 24: Groups will be based on your swimmer’s 100 yd freestyle time
– Group A: 100 yd Freestyle – 1:06 and faster
– Group B: 100 yd Freestyle – 1:07 and over
OCTOBER 23: SWIMMING A FAST 200
Races over 200 yards and meters are some of the most fun to swim and to watch because of the wide variety of strategies that swimmers can use. Some swimmers will take the race out very fast and hope to hang on at the finish, some will save their energy and finish strong, while others will hit consistent splits to balance those two strategies. Olympian Tyler Clary will help participants see which strategy works the best for their swimming as well as how to implement that plan for faster racing.
- DISTANCE PER STROKE: One way to increase a swimmer’s efficiency is to take fewer strokes. Counting the number of strokes and improving technique to decrease that number will save energy. Participants will work with Tyler to find the appropriate distance per stroke for their 200.
- TEMPO: A swimmer’s tempo is how fast or slow they complete each stroke. Slower tempo allows swimmers to conserve energy by taking fewer strokes. Faster tempos are more tiring but much faster. Changing tempo based on event distance and fatigue level will help participants swim as fast as possible.
- PACING: Every swimmer strategizes their 200 yard races differently! Tyler will demonstrate the advantages and disadvantages of the main pace approaches. Whether participants like to go out hard or finish strong, having a pre-race strategy will help make sure they are ready to swim each race confidently!
OCTOBER 24: SWIMMING A FAST 100
Swimming 100 yard races requires unique strategy and planning for fast racing. Technique is tweaked to provide more power for the event, and taking advantage of the start and streamline off each wall has a larger impact. Trying to find the balance between underwaters, breathing pattern, and sprinting are key to having a fast 100! Tyler will work with participants to find this balance and how they can apply it to race faster!
- SPRINTING: Sprinting is all about swimming with “controlled aggression!” Swimmers will observe and practice how to tweak their stroke to make them quick yet efficient - increasing tempo, shortening the breath, and a strong connected kick will lead to an explosive race!
- PACING: Pacing for races 100 yards or meters can be broken up many ways. Tyler will present different strategies on how to swim 100s: Experimenting and learning new techniques will allow swimmers to improve their 100 speed!
- UNDERWATER DOLPHIN KICKING: The fastest swimmers know how to weaponize their underwater. It's the fastest way to move through the water! Understanding the importance of streamlined underwater speed is vital for every level of swimmer.
At each session of this series, swimmers and parents are invited to ask the Elite Clinicians questions during a Q&A session. Gain insight into their training regimen, diet and nutrition, and recovery tactics.
WATCH THE CLINICIANS
Observe the clinicians at each session swim at full speed and demonstrate a progression of perfectly executed drills to achieve powerful, efficient and fast swimming.
PUT YOUR SKILLS TO THE TEST
Swimmers will get to practice what they've learned by taking their stroke to top speed with some of the best swimmers and coaches in the world! They'll work on holding onto their form while challenging themselves.
Take a photo with the clinicians, get autographs, and ALL PARTICIPANTS receive a FREE Fitter and Faster Swim cap!