Past Clinic: High Performance IM Racing and Strategy Camp
Sat, May, 18 2019 - Sun, May, 19 2019
Chehalem Aquatic and Fitness Center
1802 Haworth Avenue, Newberg, OR 97132
A description of what was covered at this past clinic is below the upcoming clinics.
Upcoming Swim Clinics and Camps
Within 250 miles of Newberg, OR.
Two Day IM Racing Camp – Sign up for one or SAVE by signing up for both days!
At this swim camp there will be four sessions, two for each age group, focused on each component of racing fast in the IM! On Saturday, the curriculum will be strategy and pacing for the butterfly and backstroke legs, underwater dolphin kicking, and open turns. Then on Sunday, participants will work on pacing and strategy for the breaststroke and freestyle lengths of the IM, breaststroke pullouts, and the crossover turn.
Leading each session will be Elite Clinician and National Champion Austin Surhoff! Scroll down for more details on the curriculum.
SAVE: Sign up before prices increase or the sessions fill up!
Austin will be in the water leading four sessions, two for each age group. This camp is designed swimmers with at least one year of competition experience and is not recommended for swimmers younger than 8 years old.
Day 1 (Saturday): Butterfly & Backstroke IM Strategy, Underwater Dolphin Kicking, and Open Turns
Many swimmers struggle with how to pace the first half of an IM so that they're racing as fast and efficiently as possible without spending too much energy. National Champion Austin Surhoff will help participants to understand the proper pacing for butterfly and backstroke so that they can race faster in each of their IM races. He will also work with the swimmers on underwater dolphin kicking and open turn to get in and out of every wall faster!
- BUTTERFLY to BREASTSTROKE IM STRATEGY: In this session, Austin will work with participants to find the right balance of rhythm, length, and power to maximize the speed of the butterfly and backstroke legs of their IM. He will help swimmers understand themselves better so that they can start fast without spending all of their energy. This is a very strategic skill that can make a big difference in your swimmer's IM.
- UNDERWATER DOLPHIN KICKING: Many swimmers push off the wall and simply go through the motions of dolphin kicking without creating much power. At this session, Austin will work with each swimmer to learn the proper muscle activations, size, and frequency of their underwater dolphin so that they can accelerate through the breakout faster than ever before.
- OPEN TURNS: Think about the open turn differently! You should not be making an open to turn around and swim the next lap. If you're doing this - you're actually stopping and then trying to regain speed again. An expertly executed open turn involves spinning backwards. This enables you to carry momentum into the pushoff. We're going to teach you how to cut a lot of time on this turn... helping you in all of your breaststroke and butterfly races!
Day 2 (Sunday): Breaststroke and Freestyle IM Strategy, Breaststroke Pullouts, and Crossover Turns
Finishing strong is so important to racing a fast IM. The key is finding the right tempo on the breaststroke and freestyle lengths to allow a swimmer to accelerate to the finish without losing momentum. These sessions are all about the pacing and strategy on the last half of the IM as well as breaststroke pullouts and the fastest turn your swimmer can do to transition from back to breast: the crossover turn.
- BREASTSTROKE to FREESTYLE IM STRATEGY: Building speed through the back half of an IM is all about understanding how to increase tempo while maintaining length. Austin will work with participants to play with their tempo and length in both breaststroke as well as freestyle for a more efficient finish to their IM races.
- BREASTSTROKE PULLOUTS: The best breaststrokers are faster under the water than on the surface! Learn the components and sequence of movements that make up a fast underwater breaststroke pullout from Austin. With the proper body position and timing, a swimmer's pullout will take them almost to the other side of the pool faster than you could imagine.
- CROSSOVER TURN: The crossover turn is the fastest way to transition from back to breast in an IM race. It has made headlines lately with even the top swimmers getting disqualified for doing it incorrectly. Four-time Elite Clinician and National Champion Austin Surhoff will ensure that participants are aware of the rules and able to execute the crossover turn FAST and EFFICIENTLY.
Swimmers and parents are invited to ask Austin questions during a Q&A session. Gain insight into his training regimen, diet and nutrition, and recovery tactics.
WATCH THE CLINICIAN
Observe Austin swim at full speed and demonstrate a progression of perfectly executed drills to achieve powerful, efficient and fast swimming.
PUT YOUR SKILLS TO THE TEST
Swimmers will get to practice what they've learned by taking their stroke to top speed with one of the best swimmers in the world! They'll work on holding onto their form while challenging themselves.
Take a photo while wearing Austin's medals, get autographs, and a gift from TYR Sport!