Past Clinic: High Performance Freestyle Racing
Sat, Jan, 11 2020 - Sun, Jan, 12 2020
Highland Hills Middle School
3492 Edwardsville Galena Rd., Georgetown, IN 47122
A description of what was covered at this past clinic is below the upcoming clinics.
Upcoming Swim Clinics and Camps
Within 250 miles of Georgetown, IN.
Green Acres PoolInfo
Central Park Aquatic Center/Occoquan Swim AcademyInfo
Westleigh Recreation ClubInfo
Bethel Park High SchoolInfo
Chelsea Piers Aquatic CenterInfo
Lititz Recreation CenterInfo
Madison Community PoolInfo
Hollidaysburg Area Senior High SchoolInfo
Two-Day High Performance Swim Camp – Sign up for one or SAVE by signing up for both days!
Each age group will have two sessions: on Saturday, participants will refine their racing skills including explosive starts and powerful underwaters. Then on Sunday, participants will focus on the mechanics of a smooth and powerful freestyle with a sprinting emphasis to become faster and more efficient swimmers.
Leading each session will be 2016 Rio Olympian Renzo Tjon-A-Joe and Coach Jack Roach. Scroll down for more details on the curriculum.
Session Times (Both Days):
11 & Under: Check in 9:00 AM, Clinic 9:15 AM-11:45 AM
12 & Over: Check in 12:45 PM, Clinic 1:00 PM-4:00 PM
Renzo and Jack will lead two sessions for each age group. This camp is designed for swimmers with at least one year of competitive experience and is not recommended for swimmers younger than 8 years old without a coach’s approval.
DAY ONE (SATURDAY): STARTS & UNDERWATERS
The start is your swimmer’s opportunity to cover as much ground as possible in a very short period of time with great efficiency and momentum heading into the streamline and breakout. There are countless intricacies to performing a start, and it will only improve with practice. Olympian Renzo Tjon-A-Joe and Coach Jack Roach have spent countless hours practicing starts and underwater dolphin kicking and will show your swimmer how to be explosive and efficient with each movement.
- STARTS: Your swimmer’s proper hand and foot placement on the block can allow them to drive forward with a lot of explosive power. Renzo and Jack will work with your swimmer to find the best position on the block as well as how to launch their body forward efficiently into a tight streamline and enter the water through a small hole.
- UNDERWATER DOLPHIN KICKING: The fastest swimmers know how to weaponize their dolphin kicking. It is absolutely, undeniably, the fastest way to move through the water! Whether you dolphin kick on your stomach, side, or back, understanding the importance of streamlined, underwater speed is vital for every swimmer!
- BREAKOUTS: Many swimmers add movements in their breakout that create drag and destroy all of the momentum created during their underwater dolphin kicks. Your swimmer will work on staying streamlined and keeping their head down on the first stoke to accelerate into the first few strokes.
DAY 2 (SUNDAY): FREESTYLE TECHNIQUE AND SPRINTING
Freestyle is the stroke swam more than any other in races and practices. Creating and cultivating good habits now will not only make your swimmer faster but will also reduce the risk for injuries in the long term. Olympian Renzo Tjon-A-Joe and Coach Jack Roach will lead participants through a progression of freestyle drills. These will allow them to deepen their understanding of each part of the stroke and help create good habits for fast and efficient freestyle technique.
- BODYLINE & ROTATION: Your swimmer's freestyle will never be fast without a strong bodyline. Your swimmer will reinforce good posture and engage their core to have a strong foundation for a faster freestyle. Participants will learn to utilize their rotation to form more connection and power out of every pull and kick.
- KICK: Your swimmer will become a stronger and faster kicker through learning about both the technique and timing of each kick.
- PULL: The best swimmers in the world utilize an early vertical forearm to put immediate pressure back on the water. Renzo and Jack will also teach swimmers how to get maximum extension and a powerful finish to the stroke! Learn new drills and exercises to get more power from every stroke.
- BREATH: All swimmers know to keep one goggle in and one goggle out of the water when they take a breath, but do they know when and how long to breathe? Your clinicians will show your swimmer how to make each breath more efficient for faster freestyle racing no matter what distance.
- SPRINTING: Sprinting is all about swimming with “controlled aggression!” Renzo will demonstrate how to swim with power, while also being relaxed - having too much tension will make your swimmer slip in the water and slow down. Swimmers will observe how to tweak their stroke to make them quick yet efficient - increasing tempo, shortening the breath, and a strong connected kick will lead to an explosive race!
Swimmers and parents are invited to ask Renzo and Jack questions during a Q&A session. Gain insight into their training philosophy, diet and nutrition, and recovery tactics.
WATCH THE CLINICIAN
Observe Renzo swim at full speed and demonstrate a progression of perfectly executed drills to achieve powerful, efficient and fast swimming.
PUT YOUR SKILLS TO THE TEST
Swimmers will get to practice what they've learned by taking their stroke to top speed with some of the best swimmers and coaches in the world! They'll work on holding onto their form while challenging themselves.
Take a photo with Renzo and Jack, get autographs, and ALL PARTICIPANTS receive a FREE Fitter and Faster Collector’s Bag Tag for each day they are at the camp. Collect all 37 and trade with your friends!