High Performance Freestyle Racing Camp
Sat, Mar, 28 2020 - Sun, Mar, 29 2020
Hagerty Family Events Center
501 W. 12th St., Erie, PA 16501
Two-Day High Performance Freestyle Racing Camp – Sign up for one or SAVE by signing up for all four sessions!
Your swimmer is going to improve at this intimate high performance four session camp. Each session has a distinct curriculum designed to improve participants‘ performance in all components of a freestyle race.
Session 1: Freestyle Technique & Drills
Session 2: Starts & Underwaters
Session 3: Flip Turns & Finishes
Session 4: Freestyle Race Strategy
This camp will be led by Coach Jack Roach. Jack has devoted over 35 years of his life to the sport from age group swimming to the Olympic Games. His vast technical insight is exceeded only by his desire to connect with swimmers in order to cultivate a spirit of learning and passion. Scroll down for more details on the curriculum.
Session Times (Both Days):
AM Session (1 & 3): Check in 9:00 AM, Clinic 9:15 AM-11:15 AM
PM Session (2 & 4): Check in 12:00 PM, Clinic 12:15 PM-2:15 PM
Jack clinician will lead four sessions for swimmers ages 10 and over. Sign up for one or SAVE by signing up for all four sessions!
SESSION 1 (SATURDAY): FREESTYLE TECHNIQUE AND DRILLS
Freestyle is the stroke swam more than any other in races and practices. Creating and cultivating good habits now will not only make your swimmer faster but will also reduce the risk for injuries in the long term. Coach Jack Roach will lead participants through a progression of freestyle drills. These will allow them to deepen their understanding of each part of the stroke and help create good habits for fast and efficient freestyle technique.
- BODYLINE: Your swimmer's freestyle will never be fast without a strong bodyline. Your swimmer will reinforce good posture and engage their core to have a strong foundation for a faster freestyle.
- ROTATION: Participants will learn to utilize their rotation to form more connection and power out of every pull and kick.
- KICK: Your swimmer will become a stronger and faster kicker through learning about both the technique and timing of each kick.
- PULL: The best swimmers in the world utilize an early vertical forearm to put immediate pressure back on the water. Swimmers will also learn how to get maximum extension and a powerful finish to the stroke! Learn new drills and exercises to get more power from every stroke.
- BREATH: All swimmers know to keep one goggle in and one goggle out of the water when they take a breath, but do they know when and how long to breathe? Jack will show your swimmer how to make each breath more efficient for faster freestyle racing no matter what distance.
SESSION 2 (SATURDAY): STARTS AND UNDERWATER DOLPHIN KICKING
The start is your swimmer’s opportunity to cover as much ground as possible in a very short period of time with great efficiency and momentum heading into the streamline and breakout. There are many intricacies to performing a start, and it will only improve with practice. Coach Jack Roach has spent countless hours practicing starts and underwater dolphin kicking and your clinician will show participants how to be explosive and efficient with each movement.
- STARTS: Your swimmer’s proper hand and foot placement on the block can allow them to drive forward with a lot of explosive power. Jack will work with participants to find the best position on the block as well as how to launch their body forward efficiently into a tight streamline and enter the water through a small hole.
- UNDERWATER DOLPHIN KICKING: The fastest swimmers know how to weaponize their dolphin kicking. It is absolutely, undeniably, the fastest way to move through the water! Whether you dolphin kick on your stomach, side, or back, understanding the importance of streamlined, underwater speed is vital for every swimmer!
SESSION 3 (SUNDAY): FLIP TURNS AND FINISHES
Focusing on having faster turns and a well-timed finish is an easy way to drop time and win close races. Elite swimmers maintain their momentum through a quick turn and have a powerful push off every wall. Jack Roach will lead participants through a series of drills to have compact, fast turns in any race. It’s easy for swimmers to have lazy turns when they are tired, but by learning the correct technique and practicing daily, your swimmer can gain speed on each turn.
- FLIP TURNS: Your swimmer will learn to carry their momentum through the turn to get in and out of every wall faster. Swimmers will practice accelerating into the wall, using their core and arms to get through the turn, and planting the feet on the wall for a powerful push off in the perfect streamline. Swimmers will learn drills and exercises to help them master this athletic skill!
- FINISHES: Races can be won or lost by hundredths of a second, and many races come down to the last few strokes. Your swimmer will learn how to use their kick to accelerate into the wall, time their stroke for a perfect arm extension, and keep their head down so they don’t waste any time or strokes as they approach the wall.
SESSION 4 (SUNDAY): FREESTYLE RACE STRATEGY
In the final session, swimmers will put together the skills they learned in the previous session to practice fast freestyle racing. Swimmers will practice changing different parts of their stroke to adjust to sprint or distance freestyle events. Swimmers will put these skills to the test in workouts specifically designed to develop different racing plans and emphasize the technique and skills learned earlier in the camp.
- DISTANCE PER STROKE: One way to increase efficiency is to take fewer strokes. Counting the number of strokes and improving technique to decrease that number will save energy. On the other side, it may be faster to take more strokes per length, especially in shorter events.
- TEMPO: Your swimmer’s tempo is how fast or slow they complete each stroke. Having a slower tempo allows swimmers to conserve energy by taking fewer strokes, while a faster tempo is more tiring but much faster. Changing tempo based on event distance and fatigue level will help your swimmer swim as fast as possible.
- RACE PACE: Participants will bring all of the technical elements of freestyle together in a fast and powerful stroke. Practicing freestyle at full speed while maintaining good body position and stroke technique will make it second nature when it comes time to race.
Swimmers and parents are invited to ask Jack questions during a Q&A session. Gain insight into his training philosophy, diet and nutrition, and recovery tactics.
Learn the same drills that Jack teaches his swimmers to achieve fast and efficient techniques. Then get the chance to practice and get feedback from an Olympic coach!
PUT YOUR SKILLS TO THE TEST
Swimmers will get to practice what they've learned by taking their stroke to top speed with one of the best coaches in the world! They'll work on holding onto their form while challenging themselves.
Take a photo with Jack, get autographs, and ALL PARTICIPANTS receive a FREE Fitter and Faster Collector’s Bag Tag for each day they are at the camp. Collect all 37 and trade with your friends!