High Performance Freestyle & Race Strategy Camp
Sat, Nov, 13 2021 - Sun, Nov, 14 2021
Fox Valley Swim Team
3875 Eldamain Rd, Plano, IL 60545
We’re excited to be coming to Plano, IL for a 2-day swim camp. Swimmers 12 & Over will develop their race strategies in the 200’s of any stroke and the 500. Swimmers 11 & Under will work on their freestyle technique and apply racing skills to their freestyle swims. Sign up for individual session or SAVE when you purchase a 2 day bundle!
11 & Under: High Performance Freestyle Racing Camp (Both days: Check in 11:45 AM, Clinic 12-2:30 PM)
November 13: High Performance Freestyle Technique
November 14: Freestyle Applied Speed
12 & Over: Race Strategy Camp: 200’s & 500 (Both days: Check in 3 PM, Clinic 3:15-6:15 PM)
November 13: Swimming a fast 200
November 14: Swimming a fast 500
Session sizes are limited to no more than 24 participants to ensure the highest level learning experience! Scroll down for more details on the curriculum!
These camps are designed for swimmers with a minimum of one-year of competitive swimming experience all the way up to AAAA times and faster. Swimmers younger than 9 years old are not invited without submitting their times or swimming history to Fitter and Faster.
November 13 (11 & Under): HIGH PERFORMANCE FREESTYLE TECHNIQUE
Creating and cultivating good habits will make swimmers faster and reduce the risk for injuries in the long term. Elite Clinician Kat Simonovic will be in the water and on deck leading participants through a progression of freestyle drills. These skills will deepen their understanding of each part of the stroke and help create good habits for fast and efficient freestyle techniques.
- BODYLINE: Swimmer’s freestyle will never be fast without a strong bodyline. Participants will reinforce good posture and engage their core to have a strong foundation for a faster freestyle.
- ROTATION: Participants will learn to utilize their rotation to form more connection and power out of every pull and kick.
- KICK: A fast kick is the motor behind a swimmer's stroke! Participants will polish up their kicking to become stronger and faster through learning about both the technique and timing of each kick.
- PULL: The best swimmers in the world utilize an early vertical forearm to put immediate pressure back on the water. Kat Simonovic will work with swimmers on how to get the maximum extension and a powerful finish to the stroke.
- BREATH: Timing is everything! Kat Simonovic will work with the participants on how to make each breath more efficient for faster freestyle racing no matter what distance.
November 13 (12 & Over): SWIMMING A FAST 200
Races over 200 yards and meters are some of the most fun to swim and watch because of the wide variety of strategies that swimmers can use. Some swimmers will take the race out fast and hope to hang on at the finish; some will save their energy and finish strong, while others will hit consistent splits to balance those two strategies. Kat Simonovic will help participants see which strategy works the best for their swimming as well as how to implement that plan for faster racing.
- DISTANCE PER STROKE: One way to increase a swimmer’s efficiency is to take fewer strokes. Counting the number of strokes and improving technique to decrease that number will save energy. Participants will work with Kat Simonovic to find the appropriate distance per stroke for their 200.
- TEMPO: A swimmer’s tempo is how fast or slow they complete each stroke. Slower tempo allows swimmers to conserve energy by taking fewer strokes. Faster tempos are more tiring but much faster. Changing tempo based on event distance and fatigue level will help participants swim as fast as possible.
- PACING: Every swimmer strategizes their 200 yard races differently! Kat Simonovic will demonstrate the advantages and disadvantages of the main pace approaches. Whether participants like to go out hard or finish strong, having a pre-race strategy will help make sure they are ready to swim each race confidently!
November 14 (11 & Under): FREESTYLE APPLIED SPEED
The technique for swimming a fast freestyle race changes depending on the distance. Learning to prioritize tempo vs. length and speed vs. efficiency can make a big difference in maximizing speed in shorter races or increasing endurance in longer races. The session will also include a training set designed to challenge swimmers and complement the technical foundation developed on day one.
- DISTANCE PER STROKE: Depending on a swimmer's race, their distance per stroke might change. Longer distances require extended, efficient strokes to save energy. Shorter events might need to have to increase the number of strokes taken to go faster. Participants will work with Kat Simonovic to discover the proper stroke counts for different event lengths.
- TEMPO: A Swimmer’s tempo is how fast or slow they complete each stroke. Slower tempos allow swimmers to conserve energy by taking fewer strokes. Faster tempos are tiring but much faster. Changing tempo based on event distance and fatigue level will help participants swim as quickly as possible.
- PACING: When racing, many swimmers will prioritize tempo over distance per stroke, which causes them to take a higher number of shorter strokes on each length. This is an inefficient way to swim and can cause a swimmer to race much slower and fatigue quicker. At this session, Kat Simonovic will help participants refine their stroke count and tempo to utilize their strengths to race faster in any distance!
- TRAINING FREESTYLE: Also included in this session is an elite workout designed by Kat Simonovic and the Fitter and Faster Coaching Team. This workout is specifically designed to challenge your swimmer’s freestyle and help identify strengths and weaknesses in their training, which will ultimately transfer into becoming a better racer!
November 14 (12 & Over): SWIMMING A FAST 500
The 500 is unique because it requires an immense amount of focus and intensity! 20 lengths is a long time to maintain a fast pace. Kat Simonovic will work with participants to understand the splits, technique, and even the mental components to racing an elite level 500 freestyle. Your swimmer will understand better how to effectively set a pace that is challenging, but still possible to maintain. Even the minor improvements a swimmer can make on every lap will add up to big time drops after attending this session.
- PACING: Many swimmers start out their 500 too fast and end up getting slower by the end. Other swimmers might start out too slow and end up still having leftover energy after they finish! Learning how to properly pace a 500 to maintain the fastest splits possible takes studying and practice. Kat will work with your swimmer to help them better understand themselves and what they're truly capable of so that they can split their 500 like a pro!
- TECHNIQUE: Your swimmer must find the balance between their distance per stroke and tempo that maximizes their speed, efficiency, and endurance for the entire duration of the 500. Their technique must be something they can not only achieve, but also maintain! Your swimmer will engage in drills to gain a deeper understanding of their freestyle to harness the best stroke length and rate possible for their 500.
- STRATEGY: Does your swimmer have a plan for how many dolphin kicks to do off of each of the 19 turns in their 500? How about their breathing pattern? How strong should their kick be throughout? These important questions must be answered and every swimmer should dive into their 500 with a plan. Work with Kat to develop a race strategy that plans out each length so that your swimmer will approach their 500 with confidence and enthusiasm!
- MENTAL: The 500 requires a mental toughness unlike any other race. You have to have the ability to push through the fatigue that will inevitably hit and maintain the focus required to finish strong. Kat will give your swimmer tools to achieve and maintain a strong mindset for all 20 laps of the 500 free.
Swimmers and parents are invited to ask the clinicians questions during a Q&A session. Gain insight into their training regimen, diet and nutrition, and recovery tactics.
WATCH THE CLINICIANS
Observe clinicians swim at full speed and demonstrate a progression of perfectly executed drills to achieve powerful, efficient and fast swimming.
PUT YOUR SKILLS TO THE TEST
Swimmers will get to practice what they've learned by taking their stroke to your top speed with some of the best swimmers and coaches in the world! They'll work on holding onto their form while challenging themselves.
Take a photo with the clinicians, get autographs, and ALL PARTICIPANTS receive a FREE Fitter and Faster swim cap!