High Performance Freestyle and Flip Turns
Sat, Jan, 26 2019 - Sun, Jan, 27 2019
The Ethel Walker School
230 Bushy Hill Road, Simsbury, CT 06070
Three Session Swim Clinic: Each Session will be limited to 36 participants.
There will be two sessions available to swimmers ages 12 and over. The curriculum on Saturday will be flip turns, underwater dolphin kicking, and living a balanced life! Then on Sunday, the participants will work to improve their efficiency in their freestyle stroke.
There is one session for swimmers ages 11 & under. The curriculum at this session will focus on fast flip turns, powerful underwater dolphin kicking, and living a balanced lifestyle.
Your Elite Clinician for this clinic will be three-time Olympian Amanda Weir! She will be in the water working with swimmers on the technique required to drop time and race faster. Scroll down for more details on the curriculum.
SAVE: Sign up before prices rise or the sessions fill up!
Amanda will lead 3 sessions. The 11 & under session is not recommended for participants under the age of 8 years old or those who have been swimming competitively for less than two years.
SESSION 1 & 2: FLIP TURNS, UNDERWATER DOLPHIN KICKING, AND A BALANCED LIFESTYLE
Races are often won and lost because of the quality of turns and underwater dolphin kicking of the competitors. Many people don't realize this, but the push-off and streamline from the wall after a turn SHOULD BE the fastest a swimmer will go while in the water other than the streamline after a dive. Even elite level, swimmers often add in extra movements on their turns that slow them down and even cause them to lose races that they could have won. At these sessions, Olympic medalist Amanda Weir will work with each participant to maintain their momentum at these key points in a race and lead a discussion on living a balanced lifestyle.
- FLIP TURNS: Your swimmer will learn how to carry their momentum through the turn to get in and out of every wall faster. Swimmers will practice accelerating into the wall with long strokes and then using their core and arms to get through the turn. They'll practice planting their feet on the wall for a powerful pushoff in the perfect streamline. Amanda will give the swimmers drills and exercises to help them master this athletic skill now as well as in the future!
- UNDERWATER DOLPHIN KICKING: The not-so-secret weapon of elite level swimmers is their underwater dolphin kick. Amanda Weir is known as a great underwater dolphin kicker and she specializes in teaching swimmers how to unlock their potential in this important skill.
- BALANCED LIFESTYLE (DISCUSSION): Having balance in a swimmer's life is important. Maintaining good grades, a healthy social life, and other hobbies can actually help a swimmer to have a better mindset and race faster. Amanda Weir will lead a discussion at both of these sessions on achieving balance and maintaining it for a healthier lifestyle.
SESSION 3: ELITE FREESTYLE TECHNIQUE (12 & OVER ONLY)
Freestyle is the most technical stroke and it is also the stroke that your swimmer practices and races more than any other; but are they swimming freestyle with maximum efficiency? At this session, Amanda Weir will be in the water reinforcing the basic foundations of technique as well as teaching challenging drills designed to help your swimmer approach technique differently.
- BODYLINE: Your freestyle will never be fast without a strong bodyline. Your swimmer will reinforce maintaining good posture and engage their core to have a foundation for a stronger and faster freestyle.
- KICK: Become a stronger and faster kicker through learning about both the technique and timing of each kick from a three-time Olympian.
- PULL: The Freestyle arm pull has 5 parts. The goal is to be as efficient as possible in pushing your body past your hand with a vertical forearm. Your swimmer will learn to get more out of every stroke.
- ROTATION: Your swimmer will learn to utilize their rotation form more connection and power out of every stroke and every kick. Thus, making their strokes longer and stronger.
- BREATH: All swimmers know to keep one goggle in and one goggle out when they take a breath, but do they know when and how long to breathe? Amanda will show you how to make each breath more efficient for faster freestyle racing no matter what distance.
Swimmers and parents are invited to ask Amanda questions during a Q&A session. Gain insight into her training regimen, diet and nutrition, and recovery tactics.
WATCH THE CLINICIAN
Observe Amanda swim at full speed and demonstrate a progression of perfectly executed drills to achieve powerful, efficient and fast swimming.
PUT YOUR SKILLS TO THE TEST
Swimmers will get to practice what they've learned by taking their stroke to top speed with one of the best swimmers in the world! They'll work on holding onto their form while challenging themselves.
Take a photo while wearing Amanda's medals, get autographs, and a gift from TYR Sport!