High Performance Freestyle and Backstroke Racing
Fri, Feb, 21 2020 - Sat, Feb, 22 2020
Dedham Health & Athletic Complex
200 Boston Providence Hwy, Dedham, MA 02026
Two-Day High Performance Swim Camp – Sign up for one or SAVE by signing up for all FOUR sessions!
Freestyle and backstroke have a lot of similarities in technique. Working on both strokes together can deepen a swimmer’s understanding of the skills necessary to race fast! In four sessions over two days, swimmers will focus on improving technique in these strokes while also covering other aspects of fast racing:
- Session 1: Starts & Underwaters
- Session 2: Backstroke Technique
- Session 3: Flip Turns & Finishes
- Session 4: Freestyle Technique
*This camp is limited to 28 swimmers per session
Your Elite Clinician for this camp is National Champion John Shebat! John is known for his detailed technical knowledge and is exceptional at teaching swimmers of all ages and abilities. Scroll down for more details on the curriculum.
Friday, February 21
Session 1: Check in 5:00 PM, Clinic 5:15 PM-7:15 PM
Saturday, February 22
Session 2: Check in 9:00 AM, Clinic 9:15 AM-11:15 AM
Session 3: Check in 11:45 AM, Clinic 12:00 PM-2:00 PM
Session 4: Check in 2:45 PM, Clinic 3:00 PM-5:00 PM
John will be in the water leading four sessions over two days. This camp is recommended for swimmers ages 9-14 with three or fewer years of competitive experience. Swimmers younger than 9 years old are not recommended without their coach’s approval.
SESSION 1 (FRIDAY): STARTS & UNDERWATER DOLPHIN KICKING
The start is your swimmer’s opportunity to cover as much ground as possible in a very short period of time with great efficiency and momentum heading into a tight streamline streamline. There are countless intricacies to performing a start, and it will only improve with practice. National Champion John Shebat has spent countless hours practicing starts and underwater dolphin kicking and will show your swimmer how to be explosive and efficient with each movement.
- STARTS: Your swimmer’s proper hand and foot placement on the block can allow them to drive forward with a lot of explosive power. John will work with your swimmer to find the best position on the block as well as how to launch their body forward efficiently into a tight streamline and enter the water through a small hole.
- UNDERWATER DOLPHIN KICKING: The fastest swimmers know how to weaponize their dolphin kicking. It is absolutely, undeniably, the fastest way to move through the water! Whether you dolphin kick on your stomach, side, or back, understanding the importance of streamlined, underwater speed is vital for every swimmer!
SESSION 2 (SATURDAY): HIGH PERFORMANCE BACKSTROKE TECHNIQUE
Your swimmer understands the core components of backstroke, now begin to master the subtle skills that will help your swimmer compete at a higher level. Participants will practice using their core to create rotation and a balanced stroke, build a powerful pull with a strategic use of stroke rate, and use their kick as a dominant propulsive force.
- BODY POSITION: Participants will work with John Shebat to feel and understand how to maintain a neutral spine and head position for less drag and better full body connection in backstroke.
- ROTATION: The fastest backstrokers in the world use a powerful body rotation to create more power and increase their tempo. Your swimmer will learn how much to rotate, when to rotate, and how to use it for maximum speed and power.
- KICK: Have you ever noticed how many swimmers’ knees break the surface when they kick in backstroke? This means that the swimmer is kicking with their knees which is less efficient than kicking from their hip. Maintaining maximum propulsion and proper kicking technique will greatly improve your swimmer’s backstroke.
- PULL: It is very important for swimmers to bend their elbow very early in the pull so that they can get an early catch for an immediate and powerful press back into the water.
SESSION 3 (SATURDAY): FLIP TURNS & FINISHES
Focusing on having faster turns is an easy way to drop time and win close races. Elite swimmers maintain their momentum through a quick turn and have a powerful push off every wall. John Shebat will lead participants through a series of drills to have compact, fast turns in any freestyle or backstroke race. It’s easy for swimmers to have lazy turns when they are tired, but by learning the correct technique and practicing daily, your swimmer can gain speed on each turn.
- FLIP TURNS: Your swimmer will learn to carry their momentum through the turn to get in and out of every wall faster. Swimmers will practice accelerating into the wall, using their core and arms to get through the turn, and planting the feet on the wall for a powerful push off in the perfect streamline. Swimmers will learn drills and exercises to help them master this athletic skill!
- FINISHES: Races can be won or lost by hundredths of a second, and many races come down to the last few strokes. Your swimmer will learn how to use their kick to accelerate into the wall, time their stroke for a perfect arm extension, and keep their head down so they don’t waste any time or strokes as they approach the wall.
SESSION 4 (SATURDAY): HIGH PERFORMANCE FREESTYLE TECHNIQUE
Freestyle is the stroke swam more than any other in races and practices. Creating and cultivating good habits now will not only make your swimmer faster but will also reduce the risk for injuries in the long term. National Champion John Shebat will be in the water leading participants through a progression of freestyle drills. These will allow them to deepen their understanding of each part of the stroke and help create good habits for fast and efficient freestyle technique.
- BODYLINE: Your swimmer's freestyle will never be fast without a strong bodyline. Your swimmer will reinforce good posture and engage their core to have a strong foundation for a faster freestyle.
- ROTATION: Participants will learn to utilize their rotation to form more connection and power out of every pull and kick.
- KICK: Your swimmer will become a stronger and faster kicker through learning about both the technique and timing of each kick.
- PULL: The best swimmers in the world utilize an early vertical forearm to put immediate pressure back on the water. John will also teach swimmers how to get maximum extension and a powerful finish to the stroke! Learn new drills and exercises to get more power from every stroke.
- BREATH: All swimmers know to keep one goggle in and one goggle out of the water when they take a breath, but do they know when and how long to breathe? John will show your swimmer how to make each breath more efficient for faster freestyle racing no matter what distance.
Swimmers and parents are invited to ask John questions during a Q&A session. Gain insight into his training regimen, diet and nutrition, and recovery tactics.
WATCH THE CLINICIAN
Observe John swim at full speed and demonstrate a progression of perfectly executed drills to achieve powerful, efficient and fast swimming.
PUT YOUR SKILLS TO THE TEST
Swimmers will get to practice what they've learned by taking their stroke to your top speed with one of the best swimmers in the world! They'll work on holding onto their form while challenging themselves.
Take a photo with John, get autographs, and ALL PARTICIPANTS receive a FREE Fitter and Faster Collector’s Bag Tag for each day they are at the camp. Collect all 37 and trade with your friends!