2022 Livonia Swim Camp Series
Livonia Athletic District
14255 Stark Rd, Livonia, MI 48154
Fitter & Faster is producing a 2-day swim camp in Livonia, MI on September 17 & 18, 2022! Then, we will return on December 28th to conduct a Video Filming & Analysis session! SAVE when you purchase the “Full Camp Bundle” for your swimmer’s age group!
HIGH PERFORMANCE BUTTERFLY & BREASTSTROKE TECHNIQUE CAMP- September 17 & 18, 2022
DAY 1 (Saturday): Butterfly Day!
DAY 2 (Sunday): Breaststroke Day!
ELITE VIDEO FILMING & ANALYSIS! – December 28, 2022
Get the same video analysis as the Pros! Have your swimmer’s stroke professionally filmed SIMULTANEOUSLY at strategic angles below and above water! THEN, have your stroke analyzed with voice over and graphics on the underwater footage by Olympic Coach: Todd Schmitz.
Click the “Curriculum Menu” below for more details on the camp and the Video Analysis session! There’s an informative video at the bottom of the “Video Analysis” tab that provides an overview of what you can expect at the special Video Analysis session!
Select a curriculum below
HIGH PERFORMANCE BUTTERFLY & BREASTSTROKE TECHNIQUE CAMP - September 17 & 18, 2022
Butterfly and breaststroke utilize similar body position, “undulating” movements, and an early “catch” to get across the pool with efficiency and speed. They are called the “short axis” strokes because swimmers do not rotate their body at the spine, as is done in freestyle and backstroke. Rather in butterfly and breaststroke, swimmers bend at the hips to generate power and forward momentum. Over two days, your swimmer, no matter their level, will improve their butterfly and breaststroke technique, racing and training skills!
- DAY 1: BUTTERFLY DAY! (Sept 17): At the highest level of swimming, butterfly is the second fastest stroke and beautiful to watch because of its rhythmic and powerful strokes. There are some complexities to establishing a smooth, rhythmic fly, but with practice and attention to detail your swimmer can master the stroke and begin swimming it for longer distances and at very fast speeds!
- Bodyline: A butterfly race is going to be fastest with a proper bodyline. Even the slightest adjustment of the chin, neck, and/or back can make a huge difference. As swimmers mature in the sport and grow physically, their body position shifts and bad habits can emerge. Participants will learn and practice proper posture and engagement of their core to have a strong foundation for better technique - creating a full-body connection for more hydrodynamic and efficient butterfly strokes.
- Kick: Each butterfly stroke has two kicks to propel the swimmer towards the other end of the pool! If the kicks are properly timed and equally strong, they can positively impact your swimmer’s efficiency and stroke timing! Your swimmer will work on how and when to kick in butterfly for maximum speed.
- Pull: Long and smooth strokes allow swimmers to have a more efficient and fluid butterfly. The pull in butterfly keeps a swimmer accelerating forward. Your clinicians will work with participants to establish an early vertical forearm, “the catch”, enabling the swimmers to put immediate pressure back on the water. Properly completing the stroke keeps the swimmer moving forward efficiently and fast.
- Timing: The timing of the breath in butterfly has a direct relationship on a swimmer’s body position, pull, kick and TIMES! At this camp, we will work with participants on breathing with their chin low to the water... and WHEN to breathe in their stroke cycle so that they develop the most efficient stroke possible!
- DAY 2: BREASTSTROKE DAY! (Sept 18): At the highest level of swimming, breaststroke has the most varied technique. Out of the eight finalists at the Olympic Games, you might see eight different styles of breaststroke! A swimmer's timing and ability to eliminate resistance are hallmarks of an efficient and powerful breaststroker. No matter your swimmer’s level, this session will strengthen their technique and lead to faster and more efficient breaststroke races… and faster IM’s!
- Bodyline: A breaststroke race is going to be fastest with a proper bodyline. Even the slightest adjustment of the chin, neck, and/or back can make a huge difference. Elite breaststrokers focus on minimizing drag by “catching water” on their hands and feet as quickly as possible, so they can shoot back into a “straight bodyline” where they can glide at top speed.
- Kick: The kick creates a lot of the power in breaststroke. Swimmers need to keep their knees high in the water and snap their feet quickly around and back to create a powerful kick. Our clinicians will work with participants to strengthen their kick for the ultimate propulsion forward!
- Pull: The name of the game in breaststroke is to create as much propulsion as possible in the pull while minimizing resistance… and then quickly getting back into a straight bodyline to establish a high speed glide. Participants at this session will focus on setting up a proper "catch" and keeping their hands and elbows high on the water throughout the entire pull. The techniques your swimmer will practice will minimize resistance and enable them to maintain forward momentum for the fastest breaststroke.
- Timing: Fast, flowing breaststroke is the result of proper timing between a swimmer’s hands and feet. Establishing proper timing in your swimmer’s breaststroke will allow for more fluidity, power and speed. Participants in this session will learn how elite swimmers time their breaststroke for ultimate efficiency and the fastest races.
ELITE VIDEO FILMING AND ANALYSIS - December 28, 2022
Do you want to know why swimmers times began dropping so drastically in the early 2000s and continuing through today? The answer is video analysis! Swimmers in recent years have been able to analyze their stroke with coaches to make technical changes that make them more efficient. This is your opportunity to get beautiful footage of your stroke and get analysis from one of the top coaches in the world... and review at home with your coach.
- Olympic Coach, Todd Schmitz: Your video will be analyzed with voice over and graphics on the actual video by Olympic Coach Todd Schmitz. Schmitz has coached six swimmers to Olympic teams – including Olympic superstar Missy Franklin from the time she was 9-years old through the 2012 and 2016 Olympics.
- ANALYSIS: Since so much of the stroke happens below water – it is incredibly important to see what’s going on below the surface! Olympic coach Todd Schmitz will use a video analysis application to record his comments on your swimming. He will use slow motion, pause the video at specific points, and draw on the swimmer's video all while talking to explain where each swimmer can improve their technique. Each stroke will have approximately 5 to 7 minutes of expert commentary that you can review with your coaches at home!
- DRILL RECOMMENDATIONS: Todd will make recommendations for drills to correct the technique of each swimmer. He will assign specific drill videos in Swim Videos on Demand that he suggests the swimmer practice to improve. Each participant is getting a free month of Swim Videos on Demand to use to make their necessary stroke corrections.
- FILMING: Our camera operator will have each swimmer swim two 25s at a strong pace of each stroke purchased (1 stroke or all 4 strokes). The filming of each stroke should take about three minutes. The video will capture a side angle and a front angle simultaneously below and above water to get an accurate view of your swimmer's technique. The cameras used in this shoot are the same ones used in the filming of Fitter and Faster's Swim Videos on Demand!
- WARMING UP: Swimmers will have an opportunity to warm up before filming. This is strongly recommended to get an accurate recording of each swimmer.
- ARRIVING AT THE POOL: When you arrive at the pool, you will be greeted by Fitter and Faster staff who will provide you instructions on the filming process.
- SIGN UP: Select to have one stroke filmed. Or, SAVE by choosing to have two, or all four strokes filmed. The "multi-stroke options" can not be split between more than one swimmer.
- ORDER NUMBER: You will receive an e-mail a week before the filming session with the specific time for your swimmer to check in, warm up, and be filmed. Please retain your order number - this is how swimmers will be identified on that schedule.
- TIMELINE: All videos will be analyzed and returned within 21 days of the clinic. The analyzed videos along with the original video will be sent via email for you to keep!
SESSION START TIMES September 17 & 18:
- Ages 9 to 12: Check in 9 AM, Camp 9:15-11:45 AM
- Ages 13 & Over: Check in 12:30 PM, Camp 12:45-3:45 PM
- Depending on the number of strokes you are getting recorded, your session time will run between 5 and 15 minutes
- You will receive an email a week before the filming session with the specific time for your swimmer to check in, warm up, and be filmed.
- Swimmer's scheduled time will be between the 9am and 1pm
- Elite Video Filming & Analysis is for ALL swimmers ages 8 & Over, including adults!
Swimmers and parents are invited to ask the clinicians questions during a Q&A session. Gain insight into their training regimen, diet and nutrition, and recovery tactics.
WATCH THE CLINICIANS
Observe clinicians swim at full speed and demonstrate a progression of perfectly executed drills to achieve powerful, efficient and fast swimming.
PUT YOUR SKILLS TO THE TEST
Swimmers will get to practice what they've learned by taking their stroke to your top speed with some of the best swimmers and coaches in the world! They'll work on holding onto their form while challenging themselves.
Take a photo with the clinicians, get autographs, and ALL PARTICIPANTS receive a FREE Fitter & Faster give away item!
Fitter and Faster clinicians are Olympians and National Team members who have achieved at the highest level of the sport of swimming... and who have the unique skill to teach what they know from a technical perspective to swimmers of all ages and abilities.