High Performance Butterfly and Breaststroke Racing Camp- Nappanee, IN
Sat, Oct, 09 2021 - Sun, Oct, 10 2021
Norwood High School
2101 N Main St #9399, Nappanee, IN 46550
October 9-10, 2021: High Performance Butterfly and Breaststroke Racing Camp – Sign up for individual sessions or SAVE when you purchase a Bundle!
This swim camp consists of a 2-day extensive session specifically designed for swimmers to develop their skills for faster racing! Swimmers of all ages and abilities who sign up for these camps will develop their racing skills and drop time.
Saturday, October 9: Swimmers will focus on the nuances of swimming a fast and efficient butterfly.
Sunday, October 10: Swimmers will work on adding pop and speed to their breaststroke.
Scroll down for more details on the curriculum!
Session sizes are limited to no more than 24 participants to ensure the highest level learning experience!
This camp will be led by Makayla Sargent who swam at the highest level and is an exceptional teacher with a talent for explaining and demonstrating the technique required for fast racing!
Session Times (Both Days):
Ages 12 & Under: Check in 8:45 AM, Clinic 9-11:30 AM
Ages 13 & Over: Check in 12:15 PM, Clinic 12:30-3:30 PM
The clinicians will lead two sessions for each age group. This camp series is designed for swimmers with a minimum of one-year of competitive swimming experience all the way up to AAAA times and faster. Swimmers younger than 9 years old are not invited without submitting their times or swimming history to Fitter and Faster.
DAY ONE: HIGH PERFORMANCE BUTTERFLY TECHNIQUE
Makayla will work with the participants to improve on the complexities of balancing power and fluid rhythm in one of the most dynamic athletic movements. Elite butterfliers maintain forward momentum by setting an immediate high catch with a perfectly timed kick. They are committed to a breathing pattern, perfecting their distance per stroke, and maintaining a horizontal body position - become committed to these same skills...make them YOUR habits.
- DISTANCE PER STROKE: One way to increase efficiency is to take fewer strokes. Counting the number of strokes and improving technique to decrease that number will save energy. Swimmers will discover how changing speeds might change stroke count but shouldn't change stroke efficiency.
- TEMPO: Tempo is how fast or slow a stroke is completed. Slower tempos allow swimmers to conserve energy by taking fewer strokes. faster tempos are more tiring but increase speed. Participants will work on different butterfly tempos and discover how to apply that to their racing.
- UNDERWATER DOLPHIN KICKING: The best swimmers know how to weaponize their dolphin kicking. It is undeniably the fastest way to move through the water! Understanding the importance of streamlined, underwater speed and applying it is vital for every swimmer!
- TRAINING BUTTERFLY: Also included in this session is an elite workout designed by our clinician. and the Fitter and Faster Coaching Team. This workout is specifically designed to challenge your swimmer’s butterfly and help identify strengths and weaknesses in their training, which will ultimately transfer into becoming a better racer!
DAY TWO: HIGH PERFORMANCE BREASTSTROKE TECHNIQUE
More than any other stroke, breaststroke is the most varied. Out of the eight finalists at the Olympic Games you might see eight different styles of strokes! A swimmer's timing and ability to eliminate resistance are both hallmarks of an efficient and powerful breaststroker. Participants have the foundation. Now, they will work with Makayla on how to utilize core and hip drive to create a fluid and more forward driving stroke.
- BODY POSITION: The best swimmers in the world learn at a young age about the importance of being patient with their stroke and trusting their "glide position." Many swimmers rush their stroke, create "drag" and become exhausted. Makayla will work with participants to maintain a better body position for a more efficient breaststroke.
- KICK: The kick is responsible for about 80% of the power in breaststroke. Makayla will work with participants to polish up their kick resulting in the ultimate propulsion forward!
- PULL: Participants in this session will learn drills to encourage them to keep their hands and elbows high on the water throughout the entire pull, thereby minimizing resistance and maintaining speed.
- TIMING: A fast breaststroke is all about the rhythm! The proper timing will make your stroke fast, smooth and less taxing on the body. Learn how Our clinicians times his breaststroke for ultimate efficiency.
Swimmers and parents are invited to ask their clinicians questions during a Q&A session. Gain insight into their training regimen, diet and nutrition, and recovery tactics.
WATCH THE CLINICIANS
Observe the clinicians swim at full speed and demonstrate a progression of perfectly executed drills to achieve powerful, efficient and fast swimming.
PUT YOUR SKILLS TO THE TEST
Swimmers will get to practice what they've learned by taking their stroke to your top speed with some of the best swimmers and coaches in the world! They'll work on holding onto their form while challenging themselves.
Take a photo with your clinicians, get autographs, and ALL PARTICIPANTS receive a FREE Fitter and Faster swim cap for the camp.