Past Clinic: High Performance Butterfly and Breaststroke Racing
Sat, Mar, 02 2019 - Sun, Mar, 03 2019
Boys & Girls Club of Taunton
31 Court Street, Taunton, MA 02780
A description of what was covered at this past clinic is below the upcoming clinics.
Upcoming Swim Clinics and Camps
Within 250 miles of Taunton, MA.
Stony Brook UniversityInfo
Shenendehowa Aquatic CenterInfo
The Thoreau ClubInfo
Two-Day Swim Camp! Sign up for one or SAVE by signing up for both sessions for your swimmer’s age group!
The curriculum for this camp is all about racing faster in both butterfly and breaststroke races. Your swimmer will work on their open turns, underwater dolphin kicking, and breaststroke pullouts on Saturday. Then on Sunday, the curriculum will focus on technique for fast and efficient butterfly and breaststroke.
Leading each session will be Elite Clinician and National Champion Tom Luchsinger! Tom is a very effective and attentive clinician. Scroll down for more details on the curriculum.
SAVE: Sign up before prices rise or the sessions fill up!
Tom will lead two sessions for swimmers ages 12 & over and two sessions for swimmers ages 11 & under with at least one year of competitive experience. Swimmers younger than 9 years old are not recommended for these clinics without your coach’s recommendation.
SESSION 1 & 2 (SATURDAY): OPEN TURNS, UNDERWATER DOLPHIN KICKING, AND BREASTSTROKE PULLOUTS
Races are often won and lost because of the quality of turns and underwaters of the competitors. Many people don't realize this, but the push-off and streamline from the wall after a turn SHOULD BE the fastest a swimmer will go while in the water other than the streamline after a dive. Even elite level swimmers often add in extra movements on their turns that slow them down and even cause them to lose races that they could have won. At this session, National Champion Tom Luchsinger will work with each participant to maintain their momentum at these key points in a race.
- OPEN TURNS: Think about the open turn differently! You should not be making an open to turn around and swim the next lap. If you're doing this - you're actually stopping and then trying to regain speed again. An expertly executed open turn involves spinning backwards. This enables you to carry momentum into the pushoff. We're going to teach you how to cut a lot of time on this turn... helping you in all of your breaststroke and butterfly races!
- BREASTSTROKE PULLOUTS: The best breaststrokers are faster under the water than on the surface! Learn the components and sequence of movements that make up a fast underwater breaststroke pullout from Tom Luchsinger. With the proper body position and timing, a swimmer's pullout will take them almost to the other side of the pool faster than you could imagine!
- UNDERWATER DOLPHIN KICKING: The not-so-secret weapon of elite level swimmers is their underwater dolphin kick. Tom is known as one of the best underwater dolphin kickers in the world and he specializes in teaching swimmers how to unlock their potential in this important skill.
SESSION 3 & 4 (SUNDAY): BUTTERFLY AND BREASTSTROKE
The short axis strokes are butterfly and breaststroke! These are very similar and challenging strokes to master due to the importance of rhythm! Participants at this session will learn not only how to have a stronger pull and kick, but also WHEN each movement should happen so that they can swim more connected and with more efficiency.
- BUTTERFLY: Perfect the complexities of balancing power and fluid rhythm in one of the most dynamic athletic movements. Elite butterfliers maintain forward momentum by setting an immediate high catch with a perfectly timed kick. They are committed to a breathing pattern, perfecting their distance per stroke, and maintaining a horizontal body position - Tom will help your swimmer become committed to these same skills to make them their habits every time they swim fly!
- BREASTSTROKE: Your swimmer will begin with a strong understanding of the timing of the kick and pull and begin to utilize the same strategies world class breaststrokers use to minimize their footprint in the water. Participants will learn the skills of swimming in a horizontal plane, keeping the hips high throughout the entire cycle and utilizing a small but powerful kick while generating power forward with their recovery.
Swimmers and parents are invited to ask Tom questions during a Q&A session. Gain insight into his training regimen, diet and nutrition, and recovery tactics.
WATCH THE CLINICIAN
Observe Tom swim at full speed and demonstrate a progression of perfectly executed drills to achieve powerful, efficient and fast swimming.
PUT YOUR SKILLS TO THE TEST
Swimmers will get to practice what they've learned by taking their stroke to top speed with one of the best swimmers in the world! They'll work on holding onto their form while challenging themselves.
Take a photo while wearing Tom's medals, get autographs, and a gift from TYR Sport!