Past Clinic: High Performance Butterfly and Breaststroke Racing
Sat, Nov, 02 2019 - Sun, Nov, 03 2019
Sat & Sun AM: Robicheaux Recreation Center, Sun PM: Cola Outdoor Pool, Lafayette, LA 70506
A description of what was covered at this past clinic is below the upcoming clinics.
Upcoming Swim Clinics and Camps
Within 250 miles of Lafayette, LA.
High Performance Butterfly & Breaststroke Racing Camp – Sign up for one or SAVE by signing up for both sessions!
The camp will strengthen your swimmer’s skills in all butterfly and breaststroke races! Saturday will cover several ways to improve your swimmer’s racing skills including streamlines, breakouts, finishes, and relay exchanges. Then on Sunday, the curriculum will focus on technique for fast and efficient butterfly and breaststroke.
This clinic will be led by Olympic medalist Kristy Kowal and NCAA Champion Adam Klein! Their attention to detail and eye for perfect technique will make your participant a faster and more efficient swimmer! Scroll down for more details on the curriculum.
11 & Under
Saturday: Check in 11:15 AM, Clinic 11:30 AM-1:30 PM
Sunday: Check in 8:30 AM, Clinic 8:45 AM-10:45 AM
12 & Over
Saturday: Check in 2:45 PM, Clinic 3:00 PM-5:30 PM
Sunday: Check in 11:45 AM, Clinic 12:00 PM-2:30 PM
SAVE: Sign up before prices rise or the sessions fill up!
Kristy and Adam will lead four sessions – two for each age group. This camp is designed for swimmers with at least one year of competitive experience and is not recommended for swimmers younger than 8 years old without a coach’s approval.
DAY 1 (SATURDAY): STREAMLINES, BREAKOUTS, FINISHES, & RELAY EXCHANGES
Swimmers will learn components of fast racing for any butterfly or breaststroke event. Your swimmer will learn how to reduce drag in a tight streamline and explode out of the water in a powerful breakout. Relays are some of the most fun events to swim and learning proper technique for relay exchanges will help your whole team! This involves a proper start but just as importantly a well-timed finish by the incoming swimmer. Refining these skills will help your swimmer improve in any race!
- STREAMLINES: Swimmers should be in a tight streamline position off every start and turn. Squeezing the elbows to the ears and having flat overlapped hands will reduce drag and maintain a lot of momentum with little additional effort. Kristy Kowal and Adam Klein will demonstrate a form that presents very little resistance to the flow of water, increasing speed and ease of movement.
- BREAKOUTS: Many swimmers add movements in their breakout that create drag and destroy all of the momentum created during their underwater dolphin kicks. Your swimmer will work on staying streamlined and keeping their head down on the first stoke to accelerate into the first few strokes.
- FINISHES: Races can be won or lost by hundredths of a second, and many races come down to the last few strokes. Your swimmer will learn how to use their kick to accelerate into the wall, time their stroke for a perfect arm extension, and keep their head down so they don’t waste any time or strokes as they approach the wall.
- RELAY EXCHANGES: Both the swimmer finishing and the swimmer starting have a job to do when executing a proper relay exchange. Learning the proper technique for a well timed finish and an explosive relay dive is important in ensuring a legal but small reaction time and a fast exchange.
DAY 2 (SUNDAY): BUTTERFLY AND BREASTSTROKE
The short axis strokes are butterfly and breaststroke! These are very similar and challenging strokes to master due to the importance of rhythm. Participants at this session will learn not only how to have a stronger pull and kick, but also WHEN each movement should happen so that they can swim more connected and with more efficiency.
- BUTTERFLY: Perfect the complexities of balancing power and fluid rhythm in one of the most dynamic athletic movements. Elite butterfliers maintain forward momentum by setting an immediate high catch with a perfectly timed kick. They are committed to a breathing pattern, perfecting their distance per stroke, and maintaining a horizontal body position - Olympic medalist Kristy Kowal and NCAA Champion Adam Klein will help your swimmer become committed to these same skills to make them their habits every time they swim butterfly!
- BREASTSTROKE: Your swimmer will begin with a strong understanding of the timing of the kick and pull and begin to utilize the same strategies world class breaststrokers use to minimize their footprint in the water. Participants will learn the skills of swimming in a horizontal plane, keeping the hips high throughout the entire cycle and utilizing a small but powerful kick while generating power forward with their recovery.
Swimmers and parents are invited to ask Kristy and Adam questions during a Q&A session. Gain insight into their training regimen, diet and nutrition, and recovery tactics.
WATCH THE CLINICIAN
Observe Kristy and Adam swim at full speed and demonstrate a progression of perfectly executed drills to achieve powerful, efficient and fast swimming.
PUT YOUR SKILLS TO THE TEST
Swimmers will get to practice what they've learned by taking their stroke to top speed with two of the best swimmers in the world! They'll work on holding onto their form while challenging themselves.
Take a photo with Kristy and Adam, get autographs, and ALL PARTICIPANTS receive a FREE Fitter and Faster Collector’s Bag Tag for each day they are at the camp. Collect all 37 and trade with your friends!