Interactive, Online Technique Course
High Performance 2 Week Butterfly Technique Course: Ages 9-11
Mon, May, 25 2020 - Wed, Jun, 03 2020
Interactive, Online Technique Course
Small Session, Online Butterfly Technique Program – Practice, refine and learn techniques to become a better swimmer without a pool!
*** This online program is designed specifically for only 12 swimmers ages 9-11!
Work with an Olympic medalist to learn technique to swim more efficiently and for faster racing. Together, you will review examples of techniques done both properly and improperly. Practice the movements in front of a mirror while receiving feedback from your clinician. Learn to harness the power of visualization with your instructor to apply what you learned in the water.
This course includes:
- 4 classes over 2 weeks
- Each class is 30 to 40 minutes long
- PRIVATE SESSION: Each participant will receive one private one-on-one session for 10 minutes so that you and your instructor can get to know each other better.
- Participants will utilize video, out of water exercises, and visualization
Leading this butterfly course is Olympic medalist Kim Vandenberg! Kim is a very thorough and engaging instructor. She has studied technique her whole life in order to become an Olympic medalist and expert coach. Your swimmer will be able to work with Kim to get inside her mind and her butterfly to race faster!
This program consists of 4 classes over 2 weeks. The main focus of each class will be on a different component of the stroke:
- Body Position and Core
- Full Arm Pull
- Hips and Kick
- Stroke Length and Tempo
Mondays at 5:00 PM ET
Wednesdays at 5:00 PM ET
Class Begins on May 25
This course will be for swimmers ages 9-11! Bring a notebook and pen or pencil to take notes. Please also be near a mirror so that your swimmer can practice the movements and watch themselves to build muscle memory.
BUTTERFLY CLASS STRUCTURE
Each class will focus on a different component of butterfly and build upon what is learned each week. Olympic medalist Kim Vandenberg will work with participants to engage them in an age appropriate and enthusiastic learning environment. Each class will be structured similarly and follow a pattern designed to accelerate learning and build muscle memory outside of the pool. Swimmers who complete this course will be better prepared to swim fast when pools reopen!
- Introduction: The class will open with a welcome from Olympic medalist Kim Vandenberg. She will review a summary of the skill being taught as well as the importance of that skill as it fits into the whole butterfly stroke.
- Video Examples: Kim will then show video examples of both good and bad technique for that specific skill. She will point out what makes the demonstration good or bad and why.
- Drill Videos: Corrective drill videos will then be shown to help swimmers understand what they might be able to do to fix or improve their technique in that specific area of the stroke.
- Dryland Exercises: Practice both exercises to build muscle memory as well as practice movements in front of a mirror to develop an image of the skills. The movement component is particularly important right now while swimmers need to keep their muscles remembering the movement of swimming with good technique!
- Visualization: Swimmers will then close their eyes and visualize themselves swimming the technique and the drills to reinforce what they have now watched and mimed. This continues to develop the learning component and build a memory and feeling of each technique.
- Review, Notes, Other Questions: The class will wrap up with swimmers writing the main points of what was learned in a log book to help them remember what was worked on. Participants are also welcome to ask questions!