Past Clinic: Explosive Performance: Starts & Turns
Sat, Feb, 15 2020 - Sun, Feb, 16 2020
Mishawaka High School
1202 Lincolnway E, Mishawaka, IN 46544
A description of what was covered at this past clinic is below the upcoming clinics.
Upcoming Swim Clinics and Camps
Within 250 miles of Mishawaka, IN.
Merkel Aquatic CenterInfo
Northview High SchoolInfo
C.W. Avery Family YMCAInfo
Hobart High SchoolInfo
Northland Swim ClubInfo
Northridge High SchoolInfo
Twinsburg Fitness CenterInfo
Central High SchoolInfo
Merkel Aquatic CenterInfo
New Berlin West Middle SchoolInfo
Blairwood Tennis, Swim & Fitness ClubInfo
Valparaiso High SchoolInfo
NKU Campus Recreation CenterInfo
Lyons Township High School SouthInfo
Smith Family YMCAInfo
Two-Day Explosive Power Swim Camp – Sign up for one or SAVE by signing up for both days!
Did you know that the fastest that your swimmer is ever moving through the water is after the start and after every turn? On Saturday, the curriculum will focus on explosive starts and relay exchanges as well as underwater dolphin kicking. Then on Sunday, participants will work on accelerating through every wall whether with a flip turn or an open turn into a well-timed finish.
Your Elite Clinician for this camp is Olympic gold medalist Clark Smith and Tucker Dupree! Clark and Tucker are both known for their detailed technical knowledge and are exceptional at teaching swimmers of all ages and abilities. Scroll down for more details on the curriculum.
Session Times (Both Days):
11 & Under: Check in 10:00 AM, Clinic 10:15 AM-12:45 PM
12 & Over: Check in 1:45 PM, Clinic 2:00 PM-5:00 PM
Clark and Tucker will lead two sessions for each age group. This camp is recommended for swimmers with at least one year of competitive swimming experience. Swimmers younger than 8 years old are not recommended without their coach’s approval.
DAY 1 (SATURDAY): STARTS, RELAY EXCHANGES, AND UNDERWATERS
Whether in an individual event or a relay, the start is your swimmer’s opportunity to cover as much ground as possible in a very short period of time. There are countless intricacies to performing a start and your swimmer will only get better with practice. Olympic Gold Medalist Clark Smith and Tucker Dupree will break down these important movements that begin each race. Swimmers will also learn to maximize their momentum from the start with powerful dolphin kicks.
- STARTS: Your swimmer’s proper hand and foot placement on the block can allow them to drive forward with a lot of explosive power. Clark and Tucker will work with your swimmer to find the best position on the block as well as how to launch their body forward efficiently into a tight streamline and enter the water through a small hole.
- RELAY EXCHANGES: Both the swimmer finishing and the swimmer starting have a job to do when executing a proper relay exchange. Learning the proper technique for a well timed finish and an explosive relay dive is important in ensuring a legal but small reaction time and a fast exchange.
- UNDERWATER DOLPHIN KICKING: The fastest swimmers know how to weaponize their dolphin kicking. It is absolutely, undeniably, the fastest way to move through the water! Whether you dolphin kick on your stomach, side, or back, understanding the importance of streamlined, underwater speed is vital for every swimmer!
DAY 2 (SUNDAY): TURNS & FINISHES
Focusing on having faster turns is an easy way to drop time and win close races. Elite swimmers maintain their momentum through a quick turn and have a powerful push off every wall. Clark Smith and Tucker Dupree will lead participants through a series of drills to have compact, fast turns in any race. It’s easy for swimmers to have lazy turns when they are tired, but by learning the correct technique and practicing daily, your swimmer can gain speed on each turn.
- FLIP TURNS: Your swimmer will learn to carry their momentum through the turn to get in and out of every wall faster. Swimmers will practice accelerating into the wall, using their core and arms to get through the turn, and planting the feet on the wall for a powerful push off in the perfect streamline. Participants will learn drills and exercises to help them master this athletic skill!
- OPEN TURNS: Think about the open turn differently! Your swimmer should not be making an open turn to touch the wall and swim the next lap; if they’re doing this, they are actually stopping and then trying to regain speed. An expertly executed open turn involves spinning backwards, enabling your swimmer to carry momentum into the push off.
- FINISHES: Races can be won or lost by hundredths of a second, and many races come down to the last few strokes. Your swimmer will learn how to use their kick to accelerate into the wall, time their stroke for a perfect arm extension, and keep their head down so they don’t waste any time or strokes as they approach the wall.
Swimmers and parents are invited to ask Clark and Tucker questions during a Q&A session. Gain insight into their training regimen, diet and nutrition, and recovery tactics.
WATCH THE CLINICIANS
Observe Clark and Tucker swim at full speed and demonstrate a progression of perfectly executed drills to achieve powerful, efficient and fast swimming.
PUT YOUR SKILLS TO THE TEST
Swimmers will get to practice what they've learned by taking their stroke to top speed with two of the best swimmers in the world! They'll work on holding onto their form while challenging themselves.
Take a photo with Clark and Tucker, get autographs, and ALL PARTICIPANTS receive a FREE Fitter and Faster Collector’s Bag Tag for each day they are at the camp. Collect all 37 and trade with your friends!