Grand Rapids, MI
Past Clinic: Explosive Performance: Starts & Turns
Sat, Sep, 21 2019 - Sun, Sep, 22 2019
East Grand Rapids Community Pool
2211 Lake Drive SE, Grand Rapids, MI 49506
A description of what was covered at this past clinic is below the upcoming clinics.
Upcoming Swim Clinics and Camps
Within 250 miles of Grand Rapids, MI.
Merkel Aquatic CenterInfo
Northview High SchoolInfo
C.W. Avery Family YMCAInfo
Hobart High SchoolInfo
Northridge High SchoolInfo
Twinsburg Fitness CenterInfo
Merkel Aquatic CenterInfo
New Berlin West Middle SchoolInfo
Valparaiso High SchoolInfo
Lyons Township High School SouthInfo
Smith Family YMCAInfo
Two-Day Explosive Power Swim Camp – Sign up for one or SAVE by signing up for both days!
Did you know that the fastest that your swimmer is ever moving through the water is after the start and after every turn? On Saturday, the curriculum will focus on explosive starts and powerful underwater dolphin kicking. Then on Sunday, participants will work on accelerating through every flip turn and open turn into a well-timed finish.
This camp will be led by Olympic medalist Brent Hayden, NCAA All-American and West Michigan native Sam Hoekstra, and former University of Michigan swimmer Samantha Yeo! Scroll down for more details on the curriculum.
Session Times (Both Days):
11 & Under: Check in 9:15 AM, Clinic 9:30 AM-12:00 PM
12 & Over: Check in 1:15 PM, Clinic 1:30 PM-4:30 PM
SAVE: Sign up before prices increase or the sessions fill up!
Brent and Sam will be in the water leading four sessions – two for each age group. This camp is designed for swimmers with at least one year of competitive experience and is not recommended for swimmers younger than 8 years old without a coach’s approval.
DAY 1 (SATURDAY): STARTS AND UNDERWATER DOLPHIN KICKING
The start is your swimmer’s opportunity to cover as much ground as possible in a very short period of time with great efficiency and momentum heading into a tight streamline streamline. There are countless intricacies to performing a start, and it will only improve with practice. Brent Hayden, Sam Hoekstra, and Samantha Yeo have spent countless hours practicing starts and underwater dolphin kicking and will show your swimmer how to be explosive and efficient with each movement.
- STARTS: Your swimmer’s proper hand and foot placement on the block can allow them to drive forward with a lot of explosive power. Brent, Sam, and Samantha will work with your swimmer to find the best position on the block as well as how to launch their body forward efficiently into a tight streamline and enter the water through a small hole.
- UNDERWATER DOLPHIN KICKING: The fastest swimmers know how to weaponize their dolphin kicking. It is absolutely, undeniably, the fastest way to move through the water! Whether you dolphin kick on your stomach, side, or back, understanding the importance of streamlined, underwater speed is vital for every swimmer!
DAY 2 (SUNDAY): FLIP TURNS, OPEN TURNS, & FINISHES
Focusing on having faster turns is an easy way to drop time and win close races. Elite swimmers maintain their momentum through a quick turn and have a powerful push off every wall. Brent Hayden, Sam Hoekstra, and Samantha Yeo will lead participants through a series of drills to have compact, fast turns in any race. It’s easy for swimmers to have lazy turns when they are tired, but by learning the correct technique and practicing daily, your swimmer can gain speed on each turn.
- FLIP TURNS: Your swimmer will learn to carry their momentum through the turn to get in and out of every wall faster. Swimmers will practice accelerating into the wall, using their core and arms to get through the turn, and planting the feet on the wall for a powerful push off in the perfect streamline. Swimmers will learn drills and exercises to help them master this athletic skill!
- OPEN TURNS: Think about the open turn differently! Your swimmer should not be making an open turn to touch the wall and swim the next lap; if they’re doing this, they are actually stopping and then trying to regain speed. An expertly executed open turn involves spinning backwards, enabling your swimmer to carry momentum into the push off.
- FINISHES: Races can be won or lost by hundredths of a second, and many races come down to the last few strokes. Your swimmer will learn how to use their kick to accelerate into the wall, time their stroke for a perfect arm extension, and keep their head down so they don’t waste any time or strokes as they approach the wall.
Swimmers and parents are invited to ask Brent, Sam, and Samantha questions during a Q&A session. Gain insight into their training regimen, diet and nutrition, and recovery tactics.
WATCH THE CLINICIAN
Observe Brent, Sam, and Samantha swim at full speed and demonstrate a progression of perfectly executed drills to achieve powerful, efficient and fast swimming.
PUT YOUR SKILLS TO THE TEST
Swimmers will get to practice what they've learned by taking their stroke to top speed with three of the best swimmers in the world! They'll work on holding onto their form while challenging themselves.
Take a photo with Brent, Sam, and Samantha, get autographs, and ALL PARTICIPANTS receive a FREE Fitter and Faster Collector’s Bag Tag for each day they are at the camp. Collect all 37 and trade with your friends!