San Bruno, CA
Past Clinic: Explosive Performance: Starts, Turns, & Championship Meet Prep
Sat, Jun, 15 2019 - Sun, Jun, 16 2019
Capuchino High School
1501 Magnolia Ave., San Bruno, CA 94066
A description of what was covered at this past clinic is below the upcoming clinics.
Upcoming Swim Clinics and Camps
Within 250 miles of San Bruno, CA.
Capuchino High SchoolInfo
Two-Day Explosive Performance Swim Camp – Sign up for one or SAVE by signing up for both days!
Did you know the fastest parts of every race are the start and turns? At this high performance swim camp, participants will work on explosive starts and relay exchanges on Saturday as well as how to prepare for a championship meet. Then on Sunday, the focus will be on fast flip turns and open turns, along with discussion about rising to the occasion on race day.
This camp will be led by Olympic medalist Matt Targett! Matt is a two-time Olympian representing Australia – learn how he used starts, turns, and a championship mindset to become one of the fastest sprinters in the world! He will be joined by ASU Team Captain Marina Spadoni! Scroll down to read more about the curriculum!
Session Times (Both Days)
Ages 9-11: Check in 12:30 PM, Clinic 12:45 PM-2:45 PM
Ages 12-18: Check in 3:30 PM, Clinic 3:45 PM-6:45 PM
SAVE: Sign up before prices increase or the sessions fill up!
Matt and Marina will be in the water leading four sessions – two for each age group ages 9-11 and ages 12-18. This camp is designed for swimmers with at least one year of competitive experience.
DAY 1 (SATURDAY): STARTS, RELAY EXCHANGES, AND CHAMPIONSHIP MEET PREPARATION
The start is your swimmer’s opportunity to cover as much ground as possible in a very short period of time with great efficiency and momentum heading into underwater dolphin kicking and breakout. There are countless intricacies to performing a start and your swimmer will only get better with practice. Olympian Matt Targett will share his experiences on how he found time to practice and improve his start and relay exchanges. Your swimmer will learn some of the most effective strategies to execute this explosive and athletic movement.
- STARTS: Your swimmer’s proper hand and foot placement on the block can allow them to drive forward with a lot of explosive power. Matt will work with your swimmer to find the best position on the block as well as how to launch their body forward efficiently into a tight streamline and enter the water through a small hole.
- RELAY EXCHANGES: Both the swimmer finishing and the swimmer starting have a job to do when executing a proper relay exchange. Learning the proper technique for a well timed finish and an explosive relay dive is important in ensuring a legal but small reaction time and a fast exchange.
- CHAMPIONSHIP MEET PREPARATION: Fast swimming at the end of the season is a lot more than just training the body. Swimmers also have to prepare mentally for the pressure of a big meet! Your swimmer will get to hear how Matt Targett got ready to perform on swimming’s biggest stage.
DAY 2 (SATURDAY): FAST TURNS AND RISING TO THE OCCASION
Races are often won and lost because of the quality of turns. Many people don’t realize this, but the push off and streamline from the wall after a turn should be the fastest a swimmer will go while in the water. Even elite level swimmers often add in extra movements on their turns that slow them down and can even cause them to lose close races. Olympian Matt Targett will work with each participant to maintain their momentum at these key points in a race.
- FLIP TURNS: FLIP TURNS: Your swimmer will learn to carry their momentum through the turn to get in and out of every wall faster. Swimmers will practice accelerating into the wall, using their core and arms to get through the turn, and planting the feet on the wall for a powerful push off in the perfect streamline. Swimmers will learn drills and exercises to help them master this athletic skill!
- OPEN TURNS: Think about the open turn differently! Your swimmer should not be making an open turn to touch the wall and swim the next lap; if they’re doing this, they are actually stopping and then trying to regain speed. An expertly executed open turn involves spinning backwards, enabling your swimmer to carry momentum into the push off.
- RISING TO THE OCCASION: On the first day, your swimmer will learn how to prepare for their championship meet, but once race day is here, it’s all about executing that plan! Having a championship mindset behind the blocks is necessary for a successful race and trusting their training will help your swimmer rise to the occasion.
Swimmers and parents are invited to ask Matt questions during a Q&A session. Gain insight into his training regimen, diet and nutrition, and recovery tactics.
WATCH THE CLINICIAN
Observe Matt swim at full speed and demonstrate a progression of perfectly executed drills to achieve powerful, efficient and fast swimming.
PUT YOUR SKILLS TO THE TEST
Swimmers will get to practice what they've learned by taking their stroke to top speed with one of the best swimmers in the world! They'll work on holding onto their form while challenging themselves.
Take a photo while wearing Matt’s medals, get autographs, and a gift from our sponsors!