Explosive Performance: Starts & Turns Camp
Sat, Aug, 21 2021 - Sun, Aug, 22 2021
Ethel Walker School
230 Bushy Hill Rd, Simsbury, CT 06070
Explosive Performance: Starts & Turns –Sign up for individual sessions or SAVE when you purchase a Bundle!
This camp is designed for competitive swimmers to refine the movements on the most explosive parts of each race: starts and turns! This clinic will be led by Elite clinician and Worlds medalist Laura Sogar!
A portion of every ticket purchased will be donated to the Scoopsfortroops charity!
Scroll down for more details on the curriculum!
Session sizes are limited to no more than 24 participants to ensure the highest level learning experience!
Session Times (All Camps):
12 & Under: Check in 8:45 AM Clinic 9-11:30 AM
11 & Over: Check in 12 PM Clinic 12:15-3 PM
*Each participant and parent/guardian must have a negative test result of a PCR molecular test, within 5 days of the start of the clinic, OR must be fully vaccinated, in order to enter the facility. Proof of either must be presented when arriving at the Clinic Check-In table.
These camps are designed for swimmers with a minimum of one-year of competitive swimming experience all the way up to AAAA times and faster. Swimmers younger than 9 years old are not invited without submitting their times or swimming history to Fitter and Faster.
DAY 1 (SATURDAY): STARTS & UNDERWATERS
The start sets up a swimmers race. The more power off the block the better! There are countless intricacies to performing an explosive start, followed by an efficient and dominating underwater. The elite clinicians have spent countless hours practicing starts and underwater dolphin kicking and will work with swimmers on how to be explosive and efficient with each movement.
- STARTS: Laura Sogar will work with swimmers to find their best position on the block as well as how to powerfully launch off into a tight streamline. Swimmers will also discover their optimal reaction time to get off the blocks fast and ahead of their competition.
- UNDERWATER DOLPHIN KICKING: The fastest swimmers know how to weaponize their underwater. It's the fastest way to move through the water! Understanding the importance of streamlined underwater speed is vital for every level of swimmer.
- BREAKOUTS: Many swimmers add movement within their breakout that creates drag and destroys all of the power created during their underwaters. Participants will work on timing their breakouts to accelerate to explode into the lap.
DAY 2 (SUNDAY): TURNS & FINISHES
Focusing on having faster turns is an easy way to drop time and win close races. Elite swimmers maintain their momentum through a quick turn and powerfully push off every wall. Laura Sogar will lead participants through a series of drills to have compact, fast turns in any race.
- FLIP TURNS: Swimmers will identify and work on what techniques carry their momentum through the turn to get in and out of every wall faster. Participants will also practice accelerating into the wall, using their core and arms to get through the turn, and planting the feet on the wall for a powerful push off in the perfect streamline.
- OPEN TURNS: Swimmers should not just go through the motions of an open turn; if they’re doing this, they are actually stopping and then trying to regain speed. An expertly executed open turn involves carrying momentum from one lap into the next. Swimmers will work with Laura to nail an efficient and quick open turn.
- FINISHES: Races can be won or lost by hundredths of a second, and many races come down to the last few strokes. Swimmers will reinforce their kick to accelerate into the wall, time their stroke for a perfect arm extension, and keep their head down to out touch the competition.
Swimmers and parents are invited to ask clinicians questions during a Q&A session. Gain insight into his training regimen, diet and nutrition, and recovery tactics.
WATCH THE CLINICIAN
Observe the clinicians swim at full speed and demonstrate a progression of perfectly executed drills to achieve powerful, efficient and fast swimming.
PUT YOUR SKILLS TO THE TEST
Swimmers will get to practice what they've learned by taking their stroke to top speed with one of the best swimmers in the world! They'll work on holding onto their form while challenging themselves.
Take a photo with Laura Sogar, get autographs, and ALL PARTICIPANTS receive a FREE Fitter and Faster swim cap!