Grand Rapids, MI
Past Clinic: Explosive Performance: Starts and Turns
Sat, Apr, 13 2019 - Sun, Apr, 14 2019
Northview High School
4451 Hunsberger Avenue Northeast, Grand Rapids, MI 49525
A description of what was covered at this past clinic is below the upcoming clinics.
Upcoming Swim Clinics and Camps
Within 250 miles of Grand Rapids, MI.
Saline High SchoolInfo
Inwood Athletic Club PoolInfo
CSU Rec CenterInfo
YMCA at Pabst FarmsInfo
Fremont Ross High SchoolInfo
Manitowoc - Two Rivers YMCAInfo
Two-Day Explosive Performance Swim Camp – Sign up for one or both days.
Did you know the fastest parts of every race are the start and turns? At this high performance swim clinic, swimmers will work on starts, underwater dolphin kicking, and breakouts on Saturday. Then on Sunday, participants will focus on flip turns, open turns, and finishes.
Leading this camp is one of our most highly reviewed clinicians with Fitter and Faster: Tucker Dupree. Below are some recent comments from parents of participants at Tucker’s last swim camps:
“Tucker, you were absolutely amazing, and the kids loved you! Your teaching style kept them focused and allowed them to maximize their learning and retention. We would love to have you back in the future! Thank you so much for your time and expertise!”
“Tucker, you are an inspiration to those who watched and learned from you. Your skills are fantastic. I don’t know how you do it with your vision impairment – we were amazed! Good luck in your future endeavors.”
“Tucker was amazing not only with the kids but keeping things moving and explaining to the kids on a level they would understand.”
You do not want to miss this swim camp if your swimmer has room to take their starts and turns to another level. Scroll down for more details on the curriculum!
SAVE: Sign up before prices rise or the sessions fill up!
Tucker will lead two sessions for swimmers ages 12 & over and two sessions for swimmers ages 11 & under with at least one year of competitive experience. Swimmers younger than 9 years old are not recommended for these clinics without your coach’s recommendation.
SESSION 1 & 2: STARTS, UNDERWATER DOLPHIN KICKING, & BREAKOUTS
The start is your opportunity to cover as much ground as possible in a very short period of time, with great efficiency and momentum heading into your underwater kicking and breakout. There are countless intricacies to performing a start and you only get better with practice. Elite Clinician and Paralympian Tucker Dupree will share his experiences on how he found time to practice and improve his start both in and out of the water and teach your swimmer some of his most effective strategies to execute this explosive and athletic movement.
- STARTS: How you set up on the block including proper hand and foot placement can allow your swimmer to drive forward with a lot of explosive power. Tucker will work with each swimmer to find their best position on the block as well as how to launch their body forward efficiently into a tight streamline and enter through a small hole.
- UNDERWATER DOLPHIN KICKING: The not-so-secret weapon of elite level swimmers is their underwater dolphin kick. Tucker is known as one of the best underwater dolphin kickers in the world and he specializes in teaching swimmers how to unlock their potential in this important skill.
- BREAKOUTS: Learn how to carry momentum from the underwater dolphin kicks into the breakout by timing the first stroke and staying streamlined. Your swimmer will practice keeping their head down and it'll make a big difference in their breakout!
SESSION 3: FLIP TURNS, OPEN TURNS, AND FINISHES
Races are often won and lost because of the quality of turns and finishes of the competitors. Many people don't realize this, but the push-off and streamline from the wall after a turn SHOULD BE the fastest a swimmer will go while in the water other than the streamline after a dive. Even elite level, swimmers often add in extra movements on their turns and finishes that slow them down and even cause them to lose races that they could have won. At this session, Paralympian Tucker Dupree will work with each participant to maintain their momentum at these key points in a race.
- FLIP TURNS: Your swimmer will learn how to carry their momentum through the turn to get in and out of every wall faster. Swimmers will practice accelerating into the wall with long strokes and then using their core and arms to get through the turn. They'll practice planting their feet on the wall for a powerful pushoff in the perfect streamline. Tucker will give the swimmers drills and exercises to help them master this athletic skill now as well as in the future!
- OPEN TURNS: Think about the open turn differently! You should not be making an open to turn around and swim the next lap. If you're doing this - you're actually stopping and then trying to regain speed again. An expertly executed open turn involves spinning backwards. This enables you to carry momentum into the pushoff. We're going to teach you how to cut a lot of time on this turn... helping you in all of your breaststroke and butterfly races!
- FINISHES: Races can be won and lost by hundredths of a second. Many races come down to the very last stroke. Your swimmer will learn how to drive their legs, elongate their arms, and keep their head down so that your swimmer doesn't waste any time or strokes as they approach the wall.
Swimmers and parents are invited to ask Tucker questions during a Q&A session. Gain insight into his training regimen, diet and nutrition, and recovery tactics.
WATCH THE CLINICIAN
Observe Tucker swim at full speed and demonstrate a progression of perfectly executed drills to achieve powerful, efficient and fast swimming.
PUT YOUR SKILLS TO THE TEST
Swimmers will get to practice what they've learned by taking their stroke to top speed with one of the best swimmers in the world! They'll work on holding onto their form while challenging themselves.
Take a photo while wearing Tucker's medals, get autographs, and a gift from TYR Sport!